Class III question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a friend. Not me if I had this problem I'd never quit smiling. He has a full auto rifle still in the original packaging that was purchased legally by his grandfather prior to 1968. It has passed down through his family and is now in his posession. He has no intention of selling it. But we were talking and the subject came up of the class 3 stamps. Should he have one for this firearm?

Dave

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Yes. If it was legally "heired" to him, there is a form that needed to be filled out upon death of the original owner, tax free. There is no set timeline, but the ATF advises "in a reasonable amount of time". Dunno if I'd be smiling, or worried about getting caught with no paper trail, since you said grandfather, and passed down to him, I'd guess it changed hands at least twice. (grandfather-father-son)

What is it?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Call the NFA customer service line and simply ask the status of the weapon. All they need
    us the serial number. If they have no record of it you seriously need to destroy it properly or you will get a rude knock on your door early one morning. You may get one anyway since you mentioned you have a possibly unregistered machine gun on a public
    forum. ;)

edit: I know you said "friend" but that doesn't change much.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Customers call from time to time with similar scenarios when family members die and they find dad's machine gun in a closet. I have checked on several for people and NEVER had one end up being registered. Maybe your friend's luck will be different.

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    yea...you will most likely end up with a illegal MG with no papers. If your grand pappy didn't get the papers, then it's going to be a doofer...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom