cleaning inside brass cases

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unclejhim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Jackson, La. (Port Hudson)
    Does anyone know of a way to clean the inside of brass cases. I purchased some once fired .38spl. brass (&nickel) and it's pretty funky looking on the inside. Trying to find a way to clean it up a little.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I soak mine in hot water, lemon shine and dish soap. Let them soak for about an hour and aggitate a couple of times by dumping back and forth from bucket to bucket. Rinse with clean water and let them dry. They wont come out polished but i've cleaned filthy range brass this way.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Harvey hand deprimer to knock the primers out and 4 hours in a Thumblers tumbler with stainless media. Even the primer pockets are clean.
    9uty2ane.jpg

7egunu2e.jpg

eserajy5.jpg

Last edited:

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Ok, having difficulties uploading files tonight, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll figure it out hopefully and get a list together. Most of the material I used is recycled stuff. I went on a cheap budget and it works. The frame is made from wood, I used a old pool pump motor that I had laying around. The whole set up cost me about 100 bucks. So when I can figure the picture thing out ill upload them with the list of materials.

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Some old 2x4's, scrap piece of osb, I got the motor from an old pool pump. just disassembled and modified to accept a small pulley. the pulleys came from grainger, the belt came from the belt store here in Lafayette. I picked up the 1/2" shafts come from home depot, the bearing blocks came from a bearing supply store, and the secondary pullys that connect the two shafts together with the ribbed belt come from a few old scrap push mowers. picked up a piece of scrap metal for the brackets and made a roller stop or guide for the drum. the drum is composed of 6" sewer pvc 15 bucks at home depot for a 3 ft section. the end cap and 6 to 4" reducer is from lowes and for the drum seal its just a pressure check valve, easy on easy off and seals perfectly. inside the drum I took a piece of 2.5" pvc and cut it in to 1/3's and used epoxy to glue in place. it took a few days to round up the stuff but about a day to put it together. works great, it spins at 46 rpm. which is perfect. my drum hold 1.5gal of water empty. after brass and media about a gallon of water. add lemi shine and dish soap. comes out looking new!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      139.9 KB · Views: 77
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      248.8 KB · Views: 86
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      197.4 KB · Views: 77
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      230.2 KB · Views: 72
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      242.7 KB · Views: 78

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    No problem. I didn't feel the need to spend 2-300 on one and if I get more media I can put up to about 9-10 lbs of brass in it. Compared to the 2-4 lbs for readily available machines.

Top Bottom