Cleaning old ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    A friend of mine gave me some M2 ball ammo with a headstamp of 1954 .
    The enblocs are rusty and the ammo itself is kinda grungy . What can I use to clean it up ? I would like to salvage what I can .

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I cleaned some in a vibratory case cleaner before w/no ill effects. Tossed in some brasso with the corn cob and they came out looking damn near new.

Your probaly aware that '54 ammo is almost certainly corrosive. IIRC they switched to non corrosive priming somewhere in the mid 50's.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    If the cases are just a little green or tarnished and you don't mind sitting down for awhile, you can dip a rag in vinegar and just wipe the casings and bullets clean. I cleaned alot of .303 Brit that way when I got 600rds of the green stuff in a shipment.
    It still shoots good, and looks alot nicer now. With the clips, some Birchwood casey rust remover and fine steel wool should get them done.

Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    I tried a Scotch - brite pad and it worked pretty good . I have nearly 200 rds to clean so that's not my first choice . I like the idea of the vibrating tumbler . The enblocs look like they are too rusty to save . Hell , those things are cheap anyway .

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I cleaned some in a vibratory case cleaner before w/no ill effects. Tossed in some brasso with the corn cob and they came out looking damn near new.

Your probaly aware that '54 ammo is almost certainly corrosive. IIRC they switched to non corrosive priming somewhere in the mid 50's.

Doesn't Brasso have ammonia in it? If so, it would not do the brass cases any good.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I've been using it for over 30 yrs w/ no problems. It's not like it's soaking in the stuff.
    Just dropped a 223 case into a can of brasso. I'll pull it out every couple of weeks to see what it does to it.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Brass is an alloy of copper & zink. Ammonia (Brasso) dissolves copper. Watch your bronze bore brush or a cleaning patch when you use an ammonia based cleaner like Sweets or CR-10. The blue is dissolved copper (brass).

Scroll to the last paragraph of both links.

http://www.hghouston.com/coppers/brass77.htm

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/cartridge_brass.html

If you're not going to shoot your brass you can clean with Brasso but Brasso will cause your brass to tarnish faster. I hope this helps.

Art

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    In over 30 yrs, I have not had any unusual case failures of any kind. Some of the 45 acp and 38 super is so well used that you can hardly read the head stamp.
    I am certainly not one to throw caution into the wind, especially when reloading. But I am convinced that the small amount of ammonia that the brass is subjected to during the cleaning process is harmless or I would have certainly seen the effects of it.
    YMMV

Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    I went ahead and bought a tumbler off of EBAY yesterday . Where can I get the media in B.R. ? Does Bass Pro carry it ? What about that reloading place on Siegen ?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not a reloader (though I may get into it at these ammo prices!) but I thought if you popped out a fired primer there was a difference in the flash holes between corrosive and noncorrosive ammo.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There is a difference in the flash holes of Boxer and Berdan primers. Ether type can be corrosive or non-corrosive. Swiss 7.5 x 55mm is Berdan, non-corrosive. Most com-bloc ammo is Berdan, corrosive. Older US military ammo is likely Boxer, corrosive.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I went ahead and bought a tumbler off of EBAY yesterday . Where can I get the media in B.R. ? Does Bass Pro carry it ? What about that reloading place on Siegen ?

I like the guys on Siegen / LA reloading. It wouldn't hurt to check with them.

You can use a few different things in the tumbler.
    Crushed walnut is available at pet supply stores. It is used as bird litter. Kaytee is one of the names. about a $1 a pound.
    Ground corncob is a second media. finer than walnut. There is some big corncob that will jam into the cases & not want to come out on fired brass.
    Rice will work. takes longer but will do the job & is easy to see how dirty it is.
    Some guys mix the media & use additives.

Some other things may work too just not any cheaper or why reinvent the wheel.

Cabelas has some media i think. I got the tumbler they sell.
    Harbor freight or sandblast supplier may have the media also.

You have to play with the ratio of brass to media & how full the tumblers is for optimal results in tumble time.
    Set up the tumbler outside if you have a place & make sure it wont slide of a any surface.

Last edited:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    LSP, Sorry I missed your reply. It was due to the fact the gas piston was not readily removeable in the field by G.I.'s for cleaning. Which makes sense to me.

You failed and you owe me big time. :D

Top Bottom