Climber recommendation for a rookie climber

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    So I'm thinking about getting a climber and wanted to get the input of experienced climbers. I've never done it so I'd like a climber that is easy to learn and safe. Possibly add a Sherpa system to it (http://sherpahunting.com/index.html) to turn it into a game cart.

Thanks in advance.

ALWAYS wear a safety harness ! I have used several climbers and currently have an Ole man that's very easy to climb with but heavy to tote and a Summit viper that's very light and comfy. Can't stress the safety harness enough as I know quite a few guys that had falls. Practice a few times on a tree in your yard to get used to it, it's really not difficult at all.

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Roger that re: harness.

I'm thinking of Treewalker (http://www.treewalkertreestands.com). Their spikes that grab the tree seem to be better designed than other systems. It's a 19# system plus 11# Sherpa is 30# backpackable tree climber and game cart. Would be interested to hear of anyone who has used a Treewalker and other systems for a side by side comparison.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I cant stress enough use a harness and know how to use it. I used to only use the harness once in place but dont be stupid like I was. You can screw up fast than you realize. My Ole Man climber is really nice and the top and bottom are attached so you should never completely loose the bottom. But I have had the bottom come out from under me and my harness wasn't hooked to the tree. Let me tell you hanging on to the top while slowly lowering yourself to the bottom to try to lock it back in is for the birds. Also oak trees can get slippery than owl poo and the bark of pines will sluff off under the climber. Don't get me wrong I love my climber but it requires patients and practice. Be safe and enjoy the freedom.

A side note the ole man used to be made to pack it on your back I havent looked at those things in years but if they still do that it works well. We used to pack our all over WMA's in MS that didn't allow much atv access.

LAram567

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Metairie, Louisiana
    I have a treewalker and a summit Goliath. The summit is really comfortable, but it's on the heavy side and it's hard to bow hunt out of since it's a rifle stand. The treewalker is extremely stable because of the spikes and it's still pretty comfy. I did lose a lot of faith in the summit a few years ago; in the middle of a morning hunt the summit randomly slid down the tree a couple feet. Talk about an a**hole puckering experience. Thankfully I had a harness on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Love my Summit Goliath after I cut away the majority of the seat.
    Get a pull up rope for your gun/bow.
    Safety Harness
    Safety Harness
    Safety Harness
    Be sure your bottom is attached to your top.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Always tie a rope from the top half to the bottom half. If not you might be "bear huggin" it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have a Summit and yes, ALWAYS tether the top and bottom. I use mine when I pick a tree ahead of time and am able to leave it at the base brushed in so I don't have to carry it. When I do have to pack in any distance or have irregular trees I don't bother with it. For that, I use a Simmons woodpecker, a handful of bolts and a Greene tree saddle. Even at my age I can carry that!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I went with a Treewalker. The spikes seem significantly more slip resistant and it's 100% made in America. Upgraded the harness. Now I just need to learn how to use it! Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom