Coffee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Since I cant get my "Cafe el Indio", I drink- "WAKE THE F*%# UP EXTRA STRONG COFFEE"

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So in addition to guns, everyone seems to enjoy coffee here too...good to know...!

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I love coffee, but absolutely cannot stand having to clean a coffee pot. Also, I cannot stand the taste of stale, burnt coffee after it has been sitting in the pot for awhile. In addition, one of Mrs. Gbundersea's few faults is that she does not drink coffee, so that is another reason not to brew it in quantity.

I had long been getting the single serving Folger's coffee bags, which suited my purpose well. I simply nuked my water in my coffee cup, added the coffee bag, and presto! I was ready to go.

A couple of years back, we discovered Charlotte's Coffees & Teas in Denham Springs, which sadly closed about a year ago. They had great croissants and desserts, and the best, smoothest coffee. What intrigued me was that they advertised their coffee was cold brewed. Long ago, I remember a friend of mine talking about "coffee extract" but I never did get any details. Being curious, and ever on a budget, I Googled the cold brewing of coffee, and found a simple method. To test it, I bought the cheapest bag of Wal-Mart brand medium roast, and gave it a try.

You mix 1 part coffee grounds to 3 parts water, stir, and put it in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
    You then filter it, leaving a thick coffee extract which stays good in the fridge for a very long time - at least 2 weeks!
    To drink it, I nuke the water in my cup, add whatever amount of extract I want, and again, I have a quick cup of good tasting coffee with no mess or cleanup.

My initial batches tasted pretty good, but nothing like the coffee from Charlotte's. I told the owner what I was doing, and he said to stop using a paper filter, as it was removing the oils. I bought a metal coffee filter from Wal-Mart, and used that from then on. It definitely made a difference in the taste, and I can actually see a slight sheen of oil on the extract as I filter it. Plus, the metal filter makes the process a LOT faster!

I start by removing the slurry from the fridge and dumping it through a regular kitchen strainer basket into a container. The basket catches most of the grounds. I press them with a spoon, over the container, to squeeze out as much of the remaining liquid as possible.
    I then pour the liquid from one container through the metal filter into a 2nd container, and repeat this about 4 times. Each time I rinse out the just-emptied container and the filter, which quickly removes the fine particulates.
    I usually use 8 ounces of grounds and 24 ounces of water. It typically gives me a net liquid yield of about 75%, or 18 ounces of extract.
    How far that goes depends on how strong you like your coffee.
    The great thing about this, besides the lack of cleanup, is that you can adjust the strength of each cup simply by the amount of extract you put into it.
    Also, the coffee itself is never heated directly, thus the flavor is never “burned.”

Being the silly and OCD person I am, and one who constantly fights a comic pro versus anti coffee war of words with my wife, I also went to great pains calculating the cost per cup of my cold brewed coffee compared to buying the coffee bags. I'm talking serious science here - I kept meticulous records of how much coffee each batch produced, and used the average of multiple batches over a long period of time. I entered the data into Excel and proved conclusively, even with worst case scenarios, that it is far cheaper. I made it clear to the wife that I was doing this for the financial well-being of the family, and also as a mathematics lesson for our son. (I’m not sure she bought it though…)

Granted, I am using probably the cheapest stuff there is, but even factoring in a "premium" brand of coffee, the cost per cup is a fraction of that from coffee bags, which themselves are not expensive when compared to other single-serving methods like Keurig etc.
    And, there's no waste with this method whatsoever.
    One of these days I'm going to buy some really good coffee and try it. But for now, this keeps me entertained, thrifty, and happy!

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    gbundersea-

If you like cold brewing you should try one of these from the grocery.

http://nobrew.com/
    http://www.coolbrew.com/

We are fortunate to have some of the best coffee available to us as New Orleans has pretty much always been the largest coffee port in the country. I think about 1/3 of the nations coffee passes through here.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    So do to this thread and some Google fu yesterday, I doubled my grounds to water this morning and WOW much better cup of coffee. Also ran water vinigar through my machine last night.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    For all those poor unfortunates living outside the confines of South Louisiana (like myself], and in places that don't have Community coffee available in their grocery stores (mine do !], Community WILL ship it to you
    whereever you are ! Had it shipped to Wisconsin for the 14 years of frozen hell I endured before prying my
    wife the hell out of there ! Tom, they'll even ship it to Kentucky, I'm sure!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I'm looking for a source for "green" coffee ... anyone?

Any place that does their own roasting will more than likely sell you green beans. From what I've heard, roasting it yourself is not worth the effort, but there are some real nuts out there.

I know Highland Coffees will sell it but you have to ask. Whole Foods in BR will, too and I know Coffee Beans Direct will http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/unroasted-coffee.html

Jeaux E, thanks for the suggestion. I am really happy with the city roast Costa Rican I purchase from CBD. I end up paying $40 for 5 real pounds, including shipping, not the abbreviated pounds you get at the grocery store, but 16oz pounds, and it's decent quality coffee, too.

I would suggest that you try different varietal beans if they are available and find the bean and roast you really like. I did that with Highland Coffees and ended up with eight or ten that were really good plus the ones I liked above the others. Didn't stay in a rut that way.

Coffee tastes are subjective. I know what I like so that is what I drink.

YMMV,

:ohreally:

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Costa Rica...I like Dat there me! :}

Back in the day when I was traveling to Costa Rica regularly here was how I rolled/uh ground:}
    One on the right still has beans in it imagine it's stale since I've had it from 2010 trip?

k10033k1oyuhh2ckltn4.jpg

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It depends.

Community Dark Roast, though I try other flavors on occasion.
    French Market Coffee and Chicory I also drink.
    Those and most coffee I drink black, because I too have a penis.

When we go to Starbucks, I drink one of the fru fru coffees because their "black" coffee tastes like poop. Afterwards, I like to change my tampon and eat bon bons while watching Twilight.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    It depends.

Community Dark Roast, though I try other flavors on occasion.
    French Market Coffee and Chicory I also drink.
    Those and most coffee I drink black, because I too have a penis.

When we go to Starbucks, I drink one of the fru fru coffees because their "black" coffee tastes like poop. Afterwards, I like to change my tampon and eat bon bons while watching Twilight.

OMG! I Love Twilight!

Top Bottom