Colt Defender

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Just bought a Colt Defender. Looked at kimber, and Remington also but I liked the colt. I put about 100 rounds through it yesterday, some hardball, cast lead, Winchester hollow points and some berry's 185 grain hollow points. All fed and ejected perfectly. I love it so far:)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As much as I'm a glock guy, I really really like that gun. Looks and feels fantastic, and shoots great. After you get a few hundred rounds, let us know if the internet horror stories are true. I can vouch for the flinging of brass in your face if you're a leftie, but the reason I didn't buy was because of the hundreds of posts regarding constant FTF and FTE. It's still on my "want" list though.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Yea I saw some of the internet stuff. Maybe Colt has corrected the issues. Most of those stories on Utube and such were a couple of years old. I will be offshore for a while, but I will put about 200 rounds or so through it when I get back and let you guys know how it does. I will say it seems to shoot about 10" low at 25 Yds. but it was dead on at 30 feet and closer.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I put another 100 rounds through it Friday at Barney's. Shot great. Accurate and dependable. Carryig in a Desantis scabbard holster with a thumb break. I also have a pocket holster. Its a little tuff to get out of a pocket but it can be done.

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    Those are real nice pistols. I have been looking
    at them for awhile. The girlfriend wants one.
    :)

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    Do they have the same, weak little retention stud on the recoil spring plug that the Officer's ACP has? Wilson sells a replacement for the latter. I like the Concept of the Defender, but am unsure about the execution of it. Bill told me, a while back, that the shorty 1911's often have the barrel be drug forward/tip during the feed cycle, causing mal-feeds. I've known him fairly well, since 1977, and he's a multi-millionaire, so I don't think it was just hype to sell his "fix" of that problem (a "bushing" and barrel that "ride" the full length recoil spring guide.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    Great pistol. I had an early one many years ago, that had issues. Sent it to a really good gunsmith and he found the ramp angle of the frame below the barrel was not cut correctly. After he corrected the issue, mine has been very reliable and accurate.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I have put about 400 rounds through it now. The ejected brass it a little deformed (slightly flat on one side) but my dies straighten it out. No problems with feeding or jamming. I have an "Alien Gear" IWB holster and find it comfortable. I carry a spare mag in a pocket carrier simular to a pocket holster. (Desantis I think) I have used a Crossbreed for my XDM and it also is very comfortable. The defender is a little smaller than the XDM and I find it easier to carry. But that's just my preferance.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm still interested in the defender, but what I demand/expect from a gun has changed since the days I considered this firearm for edc. Dad's friend bought one a few months ago, and sold it after 5 FTE in as many weeks. Colt told him it needs ~1k rounds to break in sufficiently. Seems nuts to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom