Computer network question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Probably a stupid question, but I'm good at those. How important is it to have my network password protected if I also use MAC filtering? I mean, what are the odds of someone being able to access my home network if their MAC address isn't on the list? Just wasn't sure if this is an either/or, or need both kind of situation.

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I can get through a network using mac filtering faster than than one using wpa. Software can bu used to change what the mac adress shows up as. If your network is not encrypted there are too many tools available to to capture some of your network traffic. I say use both and do not broadcast your ssid.

Edit and disclaimer: In no way am I admitting any illegal activity in hacking through a wireless network! What I do is on a professional level. :bigok:

Last edited:

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    Oh, and please make sure you change the default username and password of the router. A lot of people don't and that just leads to a mess for you!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I changed the password on my wireless network and things sped up pretty impressively.

I can't imagine my neighbors horning in.
    :ninja:

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    You'd be suprised. I use a tool on my main desktop that monitors all my network traffic including attempts to access my wireless. Many times a day!

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    When looking into this, I had read about software that allowed MAC address changes, but I wasn't sure how readily available that kind of thing was. Thanks guys, that answered my questions. Will make changes now.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Also, what are the differences in security modes (one better than the other?)? AS you can see, this is all Greek to me, but here are my choices:
    WPA2/WPA mixed mode
    WPA2 Personal
    WPA personal
    WPA2/WPA enterprise mixed mode
    WPA2 enterprise
    WPA enterprise
    WEP
    Radius

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I use wpa2 personal. Whatever password you choose try not to use a common word with common spellings. Like bayou apell it as b@y0u. Throws off the dictionary attack. But again do not broadcast your ssid. You know what it is and that its there. Some people may be able to find it but in a residential setting probably a very small risk if any!

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Use WPA/WPA2 mixed mode on the router, in case you have any older devices that use WPA, and set everything else to WPA2. DO NOT use WEP under any circumstances. Also, like Slim said, it is best to not broadcast your SSID - that lends another layer of protection to your network. Anything that says "enterprise" or "radius" generally requires more than your home network has to offer with regard to security settings.

You can search for and download BackTrack5 for tools to locate and crack wireless networks (it is a free Linux based OS plus tools you can boot from DVD or install to a hard drive). Explaining how to use it is beyond the scope of this forum, but it is a popular tool for network "support" and "maintenance."

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    Use WPA/WPA2 mixed mode on the router, in case you have any older devices that use WPA, and set everything else to WPA2. DO NOT use WEP under any circumstances. Also, like Slim said, it is best to not broadcast your SSID - that lends another layer of protection to your network. Anything that says "enterprise" or "radius" generally requires more than your home network has to offer with regard to security settings.

You can search for and download BackTrack5 for tools to locate and crack wireless networks (it is a free Linux based OS plus tools you can boot from DVD or install to a hard drive). Explaining how to use it is beyond the scope of this forum, but it is a popular tool for network "support" and "maintenance."

Although i don't recommend Backtrack 5 for your basic windows user it is a wonderful tool for people like me. I dual boot windows 7 and backtrack 5 on 3 of my machines. But again, I do this for a living! And yes, under no circumstances use wep. Wep can be hacked by an amateur in 10 minutes.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    OK, I think I have it set right. Now to see if I can get everything connected again. I really appreciate the help.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    LOL! Not sure I really want to see how easily something like that can be done. It would probably cause me to unplug everything.

Top Bottom