Concealed carry at a gun show

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    If I am concealed carrying to the gun show, do I have to check my weapon and have them zip tie it when I walk in? I've also noticed No Live Ammunition signs as well. What would the cop do with the mag in my weapon and the spare in my pocket?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I see no law against it, I would have it CONCEALED, as most ND at gunshows happen when people clear their weapons....

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    They usually have a gigantic sign that say all weapons must be checked. Then when you enter there is a real policeman that asks you if you have any guns. You can lie and probably get through however it's probably a really bad idea. Gun shows are such a political hotbed right now that you just may make the national news if you were caught trying to sneak a live weapon in.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    They usually have a gigantic sign that say all weapons must be checked. Then when you enter there is a real policeman that asks you if you have any guns. You can lie and probably get through however it's probably a really bad idea. Gun shows are such a political hotbed right now that you just may make the national news if you were caught trying to sneak a live weapon in.

I honestly think its no problem, to carry if somoene would show me a law then I wouldn't( I understand the "they can kick you out for any reason aspect"), but if its some policy then not really, At a WAC(Washington Arms Collectors) show in WA state, there was a ND when a older gentlemen was clearing his 1911, and set off the round in the chamber, if it had been holstered the entire time there wouldn't have been a issue, I understand the political BS requiring the sign, and that they dont want some idiot showing off their loaded weapon and shooting someone because they are an idiot. But policies like that punish the many for the actions of a few...

I try to avoid gunshows whenever possible...

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I was just wondering. I always left it in the trick because I figured if I had it on me I'd end up trading it for something else. Now I feel with all the frenzy buying that will be going on (and lord knows they have enough whack jobs at those shows) it's more likely now than ever that something would happen at one of these shows. I just didn't want to break any laws that I wasn't aware of.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    RS 40:1379.3
    O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section.

RS 14:63.3

§63.3. Entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden

A. No person shall without authority go into or upon or remain in or upon or attempt to go into or upon or remain in or upon any structure, watercraft, or any other movable, or immovable property, which belongs to another, including public buildings and structures, ferries, and bridges, or any part, portion, or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, including by means of any sign hereinafter described, by any owner, lessee, or custodian of the property or by any other authorized person. For the purposes of this Section, the above mentioned sign means a sign or signs posted on or in the structure, watercraft, or any other movable, or immovable property, including public buildings and structures, ferries and bridges, or part, portion or area thereof, at a place or places where such sign or signs may be reasonably expected to be seen.

I am going to say that if there is a sign prohibiting carry, covered under the CCW statute RS 40:1379.3, and RS 14:63.3 says you can be arrested for entering a building after being forbidden to do so by the lessee, you may be courting trouble.

ccomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Lafayette Area
    Here is your law:

"The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section."

They don't have to let you in with your CCW.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Then when you enter there is a real policeman that asks you if you have any guns. You can lie and probably get through however it's probably a really bad idea. Gun shows are such a political hotbed right now that you just may make the national news if you were caught trying to sneak a live weapon in.

If approached by an officer of the law you have to make them aware that you are carrying. I know the "concealed means concealed" excuse will come up, but intentionally lying to an officer is nothing I want a part of. Plus there's the whole political side of it, be a respectful gun owner in an attempt to not be made an example...

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    It will be hard to say "I dint see no sign" at a gun show when there's a big a** sign and a LEO check weapons at the door. I think i was asked by LEO if I had aweapon when I went to a gun show a few years ago. If your weapon prints or get partially exposed I would think you'd be detained and hassled by LEO , get tossed out, because it's a gun show you mght get hit with some kind of charge which would be dropped after you spend a few hundred or thousand on legal fees.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It will be hard to say "I dint see no sign" at a gun show when there's a big a** sign and a LEO check weapons at the door. I think i was asked by LEO if I had aweapon when I went to a gun show a few years ago. If your weapon prints or get partially exposed I would think you'd be detained and hassled by LEO , get tossed out, because it's a gun show you mght get hit with some kind of charge which would be dropped after you spend a few hundred or thousand on legal fees.

And loose your CHP

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    At every gun show they ask you before you walk in, do you have a weapon, if the answer is yes is has to be unloaded and zip tied. If you have one and say no shame on you. I could not get into the Gonzales gun show with my off duty gun and a sheriffs office commission . The only people who can carry into a show is LEO IN UNIFORM. I'm sure it's the same at other shows also.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom