Conscription being discussed at upper levels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Last couple weeks I have seen several discussions in the media about the possibility of students graduating from H.S. being required to enter Govt. service for 2 years. Seems just talk for now but isn't that the way it first presents itself to the Citizens as they soften us up for the real thing?

I for one would not want my children or grand children to be forced in these trying, manufactured times, to be forcibly placed in a position of great peril to serve the powers that be.

Pay attention folks. The talk is surfacing.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    If it’s for the Military service I am all for it. I believe that every Man and Woman from the age of 18 should spend at least four (4) years in the Military. I know I am opening a can of worms on this one, Woman want the same treatment put them on the front line to.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I've heard this same garbage ever since I started hearing garbage.

Most recently was around 2008.

I'm now getting too old to draft so I don't much care either way, but there won't be any conscription/draft until the next world war breaks out.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Last couple weeks I have seen several discussions in the media about the possibility of students graduating from H.S. being required to enter Govt. service for 2 years. Seems just talk for now but isn't that the way it first presents itself to the Citizens as they soften us up for the real thing?

I for one would not want my children or grand children to be forced in these trying, manufactured times, to be forcibly placed in a position of great peril to serve the powers that be.

Pay attention folks. The talk is surfacing.

They've been talking about this ever since Obama was elected to office. Still hasn't happened. We'll see.

If it’s for the Military service I am all for it. I believe that every Man and Woman from the age of 18 should spend at least four (4) years in the Military. I know I am opening a can of worms on this one, Woman want the same treatment put them on the front line to.

Because you hate America and everything it stands for?

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Overall I think it would benifit society in general. High school graduates or dropouts would have to serve two years, no deferments as in the past except for medical issues and even then depending on what it is. It would get a lot of them off the streets and maybe open their eyes.
    I received my draft notice at 20, opted to join the Navy. In retrospect I spent two years from high school graduation before going in the Navy in limbo hoping to avoid it but I wouldn't give up the experience of the service for anything. Came out with job experience and landed a good job.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We are, by and large, UNORGANIZED MILITIA.

State's Militia service would be fine; you never leave THE SOVEREIGN STATE U RESIDE IN.

Talk like that will brand one as "UN-American" nowadays.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Because what the land for the free needs is mandated indentured servitude to the federal government.
    I'm a Army vet and I think that military experiance is a good thing for many people but bring back the draft? Hell no. A citizen should not be required to do enter into government service anymore than any other job or experiance.
    What if someone proposed that every hugh school graduate serve 2 years working the drive up window at McDonalds because, "it was such a great learning experiance where I got to deal with people and money which really gave me a better understanding of the world"?
    How about, "every citizen between the age of 30 and 32 will spend every Saturday sweeping public streets with a broom. These broom crews will rid our roads of debris such as trash and tire hazards". Think of he stories. " "I remember my 2 years pushing the broom. Sure I missed a lot of football and baseball games and time with my kids but I learned a lot and it built character. And you wouldn't believe the crap that's on the street. If we hadn't been there to sweep it up who would?"
    We have a professional military made up of people who applied for the job and want to be there and are willing to accept giving up their rights and adhereing to the grooming and appearance standards while they serve. Filling the ranks with conscripts who are there just filling their mandated time will do nothing for our military readiness or morale. Besides, I get Army Times in the mail every week and I'm pretty sure that we are slashing the military right now, not adding to the numbers.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    We are, by and large, UNORGANIZED MILITIA.

State's Militia service would be fine; you never leave THE SOVEREIGN STATE U RESIDE IN.

Talk like that will brand one as "UN-American" nowadays.
    Sure, have everyone serve 2 years in the State Guard. They could hang out with the National Guard soldiers and complain about the crappy pay and lack of services like everyone else.
    I did time in the Louisiana State Guard as a Staff Sgt after I was discharged from the Army. Worked out of the old State Emergency Operations Center in downtown Baton Rouge.
    stateguardeoc1.jpg

Of course, if we made it mandatory, who's going to pay for it? The feds won't give a dime to State Guards and I doubt Jindal is going to put the money up out of his own pocket.

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    keep voting for the same candidates and the mandatory draft will come back... the people at the top see us as expendable... they will pay for it with fiat currency, just like they pay for everything else...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Our military is the most effective in the world. Why? because its all volunteer. The people in the military want to be there. Take a look at the USSR military before the fall of the berlin wall, especially their Navy. From everything I've read half of their equipment was down for repair at any one point. Morale was horrible.

Not to mention paying all of those guys with nothing to do but sit around and complain. So, I guess we need to go start some more fights to give them something to do. Oh, yeah, we don't do that. Oh, we can find some more natural disasters in 3rd world countries to throw our tax dollars at. That's a good use of our MILITARY (its supposed to be for fighting, not good will gestures) not to mention our tax dollars.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Because what the land for the free needs is mandated indentured servitude to the federal government.
    I'm a Army vet and I think that military experiance is a good thing for many people but bring back the draft? Hell no. A citizen should not be required to do enter into government service anymore than any other job or experiance.
    What if someone proposed that every hugh school graduate serve 2 years working the drive up window at McDonalds because, "it was such a great learning experiance where I got to deal with people and money which really gave me a better understanding of the world"?
    How about, "every citizen between the age of 30 and 32 will spend every Saturday sweeping public streets with a broom. These broom crews will rid our roads of debris such as trash and tire hazards". Think of he stories. " "I remember my 2 years pushing the broom. Sure I missed a lot of football and baseball games and time with my kids but I learned a lot and it built character. And you wouldn't believe the crap that's on the street. If we hadn't been there to sweep it up who would?"
    We have a professional military made up of people who applied for the job and want to be there and are willing to accept giving up their rights and adhereing to the grooming and appearance standards while they serve. Filling the ranks with conscripts who are there just filling their mandated time will do nothing for our military readiness or morale. Besides, I get Army Times in the mail every week and I'm pretty sure that we are slashing the military right now, not adding to the numbers.

Brings a question...compared top the number of guys who came home from Viet Nam with drug problems, what is the Voluntary Military stats on drug addiction ??

Viet Nam had a LOT of draftees, and from what I remember a lot of drug problems.

One draw back to the military is that I think even with todays Vet Services we fall WAY short of what they deserve.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I have no problem with mandatory military service. I've always thought the Swiss and the Israelis had it right with that one. Most non-military/veterans I've met that are in my age group(18-30) are complete morons, IMO. I feel that earning citizenship through military service would be an awesome idea. Obviously, I'm not talking about those who are physically/mentally incapable of serving, but if you are capable of serving, you should. Period. I won't even go as far as to say women should do it, but at the very least, those comprising the "militia," as defined by law, should have to serve.

I will say this, however, that even though I've already done 4, they won't have to draft me. I want back in, for the reason mentioned above.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Manditory military service ain't gonna happen. All the services are at or near congressionally mandated maximum strength, with talk of lowering. There's no need (other than "normal" recruiting), and no money allocated.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009

First, if you are a veteran thank you for your service. It is veterans that has made this country great. their service however was given freely and not required. That said pretty much every other communist country in the world has done this so why shouldn't we?

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    First, if you are a veteran thank you for your service. It is veterans that has made this country great. their service however was given freely and not required. That said pretty much every other communist country in the world has done this so why shouldn't we?

We tried the draft...Viet Nam was the one I remember best. Huge number of guys returned with drug problems. Not taking away from any vet from that time. BUT what do we expect to yank someone out of their place that they don't have any calling to leave and throw them into a mess like Viet Nam.

Our military is being used far too many times for profit and not national security.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I wouldn't trade my time in the military for the world. That being said, I would never have wanted conscripts serving beside me. We had enough shitheads volunteer to be there. I'd hate to see what would happen if every swinging pecker was forced to serve.

Top Bottom