Consequences of Carrying When Attacked By a Mob

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whattheheck518

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    New Orleans
    i strongly feel that if he is carrying a gun and a flash mob arises, if a police officer sees him with it he will be shot and probly killed. and the police officer will not be charged with anything because all he saw was a man in a mob carrying a gun. my 2 cents.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    i strongly feel that if he is carrying a gun and a flash mob arises, if a police officer sees him with it he will be shot and probly killed. and the police officer will not be charged with anything because all he saw was a man in a mob carrying a gun. my 2 cents.

Yeah. I keep thinking of what a civil lawyer will do to a wealthy defendant who lives in an exclusively white suburb and who "shot wildly" into a "peaceful crowd".

I really love my nieces and my nephew, and I'd hate to see them turned out on the street.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

SBR'd Draco (with tax stamp of course) in a backpack + light frontal body armor. Maybe some classes to go along with that. -I'd rather get popped by po-peaux than pounced on by 20-50 hoodrats with baseball bats. Just say'n.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry

If a police officer is close enough to see him with a gun, hopefully he's close enough to intervene if the guy's life is in danger, so he shouldn't have to use his gun. Even so, if the mob is overwhelming, and the LEO can't help, the cop's probably going to be in a bind too.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, hopefully future flash mobs will evolve, and it will be possible to sit down with them and have an intelligent conversation like gentlemen.

Ok, seriously- sometimes the immediate need far outweighs the "what ifs". Speaking for myself, I would rather be armed while TRYING VERY HARD to evade. But even if 90% give up pursuit, you may still be facing multiple gentlemen who would like to bash your head on the pavement. I'm not sure at that moment anything else would seem very important.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell

I pretty much think the whole point of a flash mob is "no cops are around."

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If I didn't know any better I'd swear an Anti-Gun guru started this thread in hopes of scaring people into NOT carrying.

...if I didn't know any better...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If I didn't know any better I'd swear an Anti-Gun guru started this thread in hopes of scaring people into NOT carrying.

...if I didn't know any better...

At the very least, an anti-gun guru would give it his blessing. ;-)

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I'm not LEO but will just throw this out there.

Encourage him to get a quality firearm. Next, get some training. I'm in the same field as he and try to make at least two firearms classes a year (rifle or handgun).

Now, I start talking to myself as well as to your brother.

Get some training in situational awareness. I haven't trained in this, but I do try and practice it to the best of my untrained ability. I need to get some training in this. My brother still scans the area after having been back from Iraq for more than 3 or 4 years. He learned to scan the hard way. I really, really enjoyed one evening as we both left Wal-Mart. We had scanned the area individually and commented to each other what we saw. Lesson learned: If possible, get a buddy and train this in real life; day, night, or morning. It can be done. Brothers can make good training buddies. Only the good Lord is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. (I know; that's cheesy as all get out :D )

For mob situations, we still have to be cognizant of the 4 safety rules. Unless it is just you and a mob, you can't just fire willy nilly into a crowd. A violent mob is a bunch of baddies. A violent mob rushing a crowd is a bunch of baddies intermingled with innocents. If part of a crowd, use use that as cover and get the hell out as fast as humanly possible. It's a sad and cold thought, but in that situation, you, your family, or your friends are your number one concern. You can't stop to help others.

If you have to fire, make space so as to get your firearm into the fight. As much as possible, you have to keep the safety of others in mind at this point. You can hope that the first shot fired will cause the other mongrels to stop the chase. But, don't ever count on that. When you have a handgun, you have limited amount of ammo and not the best possible choice in defense. Train, train, and train some more.

I don't know how helpful or hurtful I've been. If some of the more experienced see something wrong, please, please correct me.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Well, hopefully future flash mobs will evolve, and it will be possible to sit down with them and have an intelligent conversation like gentlemen.

Ok, seriously- sometimes the immediate need far outweighs the "what ifs". Speaking for myself, I would rather be armed while TRYING VERY HARD to evade. But even if 90% give up pursuit, you may still be facing multiple gentlemen who would like to bash your head on the pavement. I'm not sure at that moment anything else would seem very important.
    INAC but I agree with^^This^^

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If a LEO sees a well dressed white guy with a gun facing a mob of democrats he will prolly come to the right decision.

That was my first notion as well. I'd say the brother-in-question is going to stick out like a sore thumb in this mob, it'd be pretty obvious who is being attacked, and the chances of mistaking him for one of the crowd seem pretty slim. Still, stuff does happen-- but that's a risk I'd probably be willing to take.

Furthermore, any lone LEO is more likely to be the target than an outside observer. And if there's a large group of them on the scene, it's far less likely for the mob to break out in the first place, or for the guy to have to pull a firearm.

Avoidance is still the best option, with GTFO being a close second. If you limit yourself to just those two courses of action, you're taking a pretty big gamble in my book.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm sorry I was just trying to figure out why he needed protection from a flash mob, I'm employed at the moment and not looking for work, but that is my area of skill. I'm still unclear of this threat of a mob. Who hangs out at an Engineering firm waiting for the owner to leave?

Is this^ serious?

That was kind of my reasoning too. He lives in an affluent suburb, and he moves in pretty well-heeled circles. I suppose he thinks that the incidents of random, unpredictable, violent gang attacks are going to become endemic throughout society, and he wants to be able to protect himself and his wife if one were to engulf them (wherever they are).

He and I differ in that he thinks this will become a major and frequent occurrence, while I do not. We shall see.

This^ is crazy rationale.

The criminals are branching out, their taking the high crime to you now!
    Help your buddy help/protect his family

This^ is true!

"One of these things is not like the other" - Sesame Street :confused:

This^ is funny!

This^ has happened before!

He's not that rich, but that's the best suggestion I've heard yet.

This^ is unreasonable!

Yeah. I keep thinking of what a civil lawyer will do to a wealthy defendant who lives in an exclusively white suburb and who "shot wildly" into a "peaceful crowd".

I really love my nieces and my nephew, and I'd hate to see them turned out on the street.

This^ is not likely!

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

This^ is all that matters!

-I'd rather get popped by po-peaux than pounced on by 20-50 hoodrats with baseball bats. Just say'n.

Indeed!

If a police officer is close enough to see him with a gun, hopefully he's close enough to intervene if the guy's life is in danger, so he shouldn't have to use his gun. Even so, if the mob is overwhelming, and the LEO can't help, the cop's probably going to be in a bind too.

True dis^!

Sarcasm and fact^!

I pretty much think the whole point of a flash mob is "no cops are around."

Evident to me too!

If a LEO sees a well dressed white guy with a gun facing a mob of democrats he will prolly come to the right decision.

You would hope!

EVERY LAW ABIDING AMERICAN SHOULD BE ARMED!

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Yeah I was very serious, but when he said flash mob I didn't think it was that serious, but after watching the news I understand the concern now. I still do not believe we would have this type of problem down here, and if we did it would be very short lived idea. We have been known to nip that kind of trouble in the bud, we are better prepared and experienced in crowd and riot control.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It is irrational for rational people to believe the impossible can ever happen to them, that is what makes rational people irrational!;)

Don't bet your life on the stupidity of others in the here and now, the odds are not that good.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Again I'm trying to get LEOs opinions on this.

My questions are: a) are his fears justified, b) is his desire to carry wise given the situation he's concerned about, and c) were my arguments sound?

a) No, not in my opinion. I don't believe there have been any doccumented cases of Flash-mob crime in Louisiana.
    b) I encourage any and every law abiding citizen to carry after recieving the proper training and credentials.
    c) No.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    i'm just throwing a comment out there.... several months ago (not sure of exact date) a group of people were walking out of the station bar in Baton Rouge one weekend night, and a group of 'gentlemen' swarmed in and attacked them. there were women in the gang filming the beating shouting "we da white beaters". the victims were around 3 or 4 women and 2 or 3 men. one woman had her face beaten in, one guy got his head rammed into a car door. didn't receive a whole bunch of media coverage. i heard the gang was from plaquemine, but who knows. in that instance, i figure if im going down, i'm bringing a few with me. then the saying "better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6" comes to mind. who knows, i can't say how i'd act, i have no formal training, yet.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title, but I have a question to put to LEOs here. My brother who has average exposure to firearms (Our dad let us use them a lot as kids.) told me last night that he wants to start carrying a pistol to protect himself against "flash-mobs". Now leaving all politics out of this (if possible :rolleyes:) I tried to convince him of the foolishness of this choice. My take on it was this:

1) If he isn't very well versed on the legalities of the situation he's very likely to wind up in jail for murder.

2) If he's not very familiar with his weapon, its limitations and capabilities, he's very likely to wind up in jail for murder - or murdered himself.

3) Carrying a weapon requires frequent and systematic training in order to be able to use it correctly in times of need.

He's one of the owners of a mid-sized business (around 500 employees), and he's not likely to be willing to spend the time to do the things I listed above - specially since he has no interest in firearms beyond his fear of crime.

From the perspective of police, do you think a) his fears are justified, b) that his desire to carry is wise, and c) that my arguments were sound? Bear in mind that neither of us are anti-gun, and I in fact own about 150 of them.

Mobs are ugly, un-predictable, and usually consist of more than 15+1 people. I don't think a handgun would save someone from an angry mob--but then it might--but then it might now. The legal liability of firing into a crowd is staggering.

Phr0st

Whats a custom user title
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Holden, LA
    ^^^^^ Yeah but if you take out just a few, I'd bet money that the rest will flee. I'm sure they won't be counting how many shots you've fired nor know how many a particular gun holds. Aside from that anyone who carries should also carry a spare mag. I think by definition "flash mob" violence may not be an issue down here but gang violence is. I think of it like this, If my brother were to be attacked by a mob or gang I would want him to have protection. Sure I would rather him run but if that's not an option I would definitely want him to apply self-defense in the form of deadly force.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom