Consider the 50 Yard Zero

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    As most hunters are taught to zero their deer rifles at 100 yards I'd like to give you an interesting alternative that will add about an inch of flat trajectory to just about any modern deer rifle.

The reason I do this is the fact I shoot most of my deer around 50 yards instead of 100 yards. I need a very acurate shot at close range and the 50 yard shot may be a little off with the 100 yard zero. This is the case when a Nanny sticks her head up out of a thicket and I have to make a head or neck shot. At longer range the 50 yard zero will never be off more than the width of a crosshair. I never shoot past 300 yards simply due to the fact I dont see deer that far away in Louisiana, so the subsequent 50 yard zero works in this country.

Now to prove this point you need to go to the free online Winchester Ballistic Calculator. This thing is fun to play with because it is like taking a shot. You want to zero out the wind factor and you need to set it for 300 yards max range and your zero at 50 yards. After you get you data check it out for the 100 yard zero and notice you have more of a drop at 300 yards.

This works well with any 308 or 30-06 base type cartriges and is very interesting with the 160 grain 7mm Remington Magnum as well as my pet 325 WSM.

I have known this for years but now I have a way to instantly prove the point so go see for yourself.:eek3:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Don't forget to get an accurate measurement of the height of the scope above the centerline of the bore. A variation of this measurement by as little as .25" can make a big difference at 300 yards. Especially if you zero at 50 yards.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    As each rifle has its own qualities including scope height it must be tested individualy for final adjustments. The bullet trajectory however is contstant and gives a basic idea of the acutual path of the bullet from 50 to 300 yards respectively. Scope height as it differs, can cause an optical illusion that will seem to vary the impact point at certain ranges, so this is a good point, reminding us to check our own rifles for variations of the standard.

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The bullet crosses the line of sight twice. So usually no matter wear your zero is it intersects the first time around 30 yards on most calibers. Correct me if I wrong please.

I would rather take a 250 yard zero and be sure out to 300.

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Well after playing around with some different bullet weights on the calculator, seems the first line of sight cross can be any wear from really close to no so close.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The bullet crosses the line of sight twice. So usually no matter wear your zero is it intersects the first time around 30 yards on most calibers. Correct me if I wrong please.

I would rather take a 250 yard zero and be sure out to 300.

Not really. The bullet only intersects the line of sight if the barrel is pointed slightly upward in relation to the scope. If you don't have this angle the bullet will begin to drop as soon as it leaves the barrel and will continue to do so. That being said, under most circumstances scopes are mounted so that the bullet will intersect the line of sight twice. The part of your statement with the greatest error is that it will first cross at @30 yards. The first crossing is dependent on the cartridge, bullet and 2nd crossing distance. I suggested 25 yards for the modern high intensity cartridges like a .30-06 because the second time it crosses the line of sight is around 225 - 250 yards and the bullet will be 3 - 6 inches low at 300 yards. It also doesn't go more than 3" above the line of sight on its way there. If your target is a deer, this means that you can hold in the center of the heart lung area and hit out to 300 yards without compensating for elevation. A 50 yard zero does not allow you to do that.

By the way, I zero my deer rifles about 2.25" high at 100 yards or 2" high at 200. you get a more dependable result than just zeroing at 25 yards because any error at 25 is magnified 10 times at 250.

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The first crossing is dependent on the cartridge, bullet and 2nd crossing distance. I suggested 25 yards for the modern high intensity cartridges like a .30-06 because the second time it crosses the line of sight is around 225 - 250 yards and the bullet will be 3 - 6 inches low at 300 yards. It also doesn't go more than 3" above the line of sight on its way there.

By the way, I zero my deer rifles about 2.25" high at 100 yards or 2" high at 200. you get a more dependable result than just zeroing at 25 yards because any error at 25 is magnified 10 times at 250.

This is the approach I take. Under 100 yards is still not a problem for head shots as the distance from zero is not that much.

I've seen people shoot their rifles at a 25 yard indoor range and think they were sighted in. Only to wonder why they wernt on paper after their miss.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Lots of long range shooters here. Out of 135 deer only one was at the 300 yard mark with a 30-06 168 grain Balistic Silvertip. The hold was at the top of the back, for a perfect lung shot. More practically a slight upper quadrant hold took a deer at 225 yards, a dead on hold at 168 yards and a dead on hold for another one a fifty and another at 30 and another at 20 hmmm and thats just recently with the 325 WSM 220 grain Power Points. The 30-06 has the same trajectory just doesnt hit as hard (who cares) and many more. I keep these sort of records for a reason just like a scout sniper keeps a book. The 50 yard zero works it can be proven on the ballistic calculator and in the field time after time. A deer is not much of a problem to hit anyway.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Lots of long range shooters here. Out of 135 deer only one was at the 300 yard mark with a 30-06 168 grain Balistic Silvertip. The hold was at the top of the back, for a perfect lung shot. More practically a slight upper quadrant hold took a deer at 225 yards, a dead on hold at 168 yards and a dead on hold for another one a fifty and another at 30 and another at 20 hmmm and thats just recently with the 325 WSM 220 grain Power Points. The 30-06 has the same trajectory just doesnt hit as hard (who cares) and many more. I keep these sort of records for a reason just like a scout sniper keeps a book. The 50 yard zero works it can be proven on the ballistic calculator and in the field time after time. A deer is not much of a problem to hit anyway.

Very true.

It doesn't matter what your zero range is within reason if you know your rifle's trajectory at the various ranges you may be called upon to shoot it. I have been using my preferred zero for years and it works for me. I am pretty sure that I can get a first round hit on a deer at any range that a reasonable hunter should be shooting at one.

Top Bottom