Contact your senator today!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have contacted my Senator

• No, I couldn't care less for my gun rights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Last week, the sponsor of LSA- and NRA-opposed House Bill 826, state Representative Wesley Bishop (D-New Orleans), voluntarily deferred the measure, effectively killing the bill. The LSA and the NRA were at the House Administration of Criminal Justice Sub-Committee hearing and prepared to testify against the bill had it come up for a vote. The LSA was extremely effective in this year's legislative session, and it is likely that 3 of the 4 key bills that the LSA supported this year will make it to the Governor's desk for signature. But, we are not there yet. We cannot fumble the football at the 10 yard line!

House Bill 72, sponsored by state Representative Joe Lopinto (R-Metairie) and state Senator Bob Kostelka (R-Monroe), would clarify that concealed handgun permit holders may possess firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol. Forty-nine states allow some form of carrying of firearms for personal protection in restaurants and this bill would codify a right that exists under the carry law but is currently in conflict with a separate criminal statute.

House Bill 1066, sponsored by state Representative Jeff Thompson (R-Bossier City) and state Senator Neil Riser (R-Columbia), makes technical changes to the state concealed carry law that could qualify Louisiana permit holders for an exemption from the NICS check when purchasing a firearm from a federal firearm licensed dealer. Permit holders in 21 other states -- including the neighboring states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Texas -- currently enjoy this exemption.

House Bill 186, sponsored by state Representative Cameron Henry (R-Metairie) and state Senator Rick Ward (R-Port Allen), would allow for the use of lawfully-owned suppressors while hunting game. It's time for Louisiana to join the majority of other states which allow for the taking of game with these devices that help prevent hearing loss and mitigate noise complaints.

Please contact your State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to SUPPORT HB 72, HB 1066 and HB 186. You can reach your state Senator by calling (225) 342-2040 during the week. You can find your Senator here: http://senate.la.gov/Senators/

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    me: Senator Crowe: I strongly support House Bills 72, 186, and 1066 clarifying some concealed carry issues and allowing suppressors for hunting. I hope that you do, too.
    Thanks.
    P.M.
    Slidell, LA

Crowe: "Sure do agree with you and will support….ag"

shootinFe

grey man
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the efforts by the LSA and NRA !!!

I know it's very effective when the LSA and NRA go to the Capitol and say their members support such and such bill, and at the same time those very members (and other gun owners) start ringing their legislators phones and flooding their email boxes with support.

As gun owners we have the power, with our collective voices, to get the right legislation done, but we can't sit back and just let the LSA and NRA run the ball alone. Emails and phone calls by us are cheap and easy to do. We always must outwork the anti-gunners, if not we'll wake up one day and wonder what happened?

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Sent to John Smith and Ronnie Johns

Please support our fellow Republican Sponsored Bills to (clarify) and protect
    Concealed Handgun Permittees right to carry in a restaurant,
    the ability to use suppressors to hunt game
    and to recognize the exhaustive process of acquiring a CHP,
    should exempt Concealed Handgun Permittees
    from having to go through yet another NICS background check
    in order to purchase a firearm from an FFL.

Many if not most of our surrounding States
    already benefit from the protection and freedom these laws provide.
    It’s time we join them.

As the protector of my family, an avid hunter and a responsible gun owner,
    I strongly support these Bills and hope you will represent my support for this legislation.

Thank you kindly for your time and effort as my State Representative.

God Bless

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    So, only 16 of BayouShooter.com's 1000s of members care enough about their gun rights to contact their senators? That is what makes LSA's job so hard. If 1000 members contacted their elected representatives every time there was an important gun bill pending, there would be a whole lot less for gun owners to complain about.

Dan

shootinFe

grey man
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Louisiana
    So, only 16 of BayouShooter.com's 1000s of members care enough about their gun rights to contact their senators? That is what makes LSA's job so hard. If 1000 members contacted their elected representatives every time there was an important gun bill pending, there would be a whole lot less for gun owners to complain about.

Dan

AMEN ++++++++

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Dan,

Thanks for what you and the LSA do in the Legislature. I know first hand how difficult it is to deal with the different egos and agendas to get anything accomplished, especially a hot button issue like expanding gun rights. Everyone in the gun rights communiy owes you a debt of gratitude.

Thanks again.

Ben

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    August 15.

So does that mean come August 15th, these will be good to go and effective, or will the still need the gov's signature?

Also, gents, write me a mass email to send to everyone with a link to this thread and whatever other threads you think should be mentioned. If it is worded well and looks professional, I will blast it to every member at BS (that hasn't disallowed emails being sent to them). PM me said email, post it here, do both, I don't care. By tomorrow night, whichever one looks the best gets sent to everyone! Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Austin

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan,

Thanks for what you and the LSA do in the Legislature. I know first hand how difficult it is to deal with the different egos and agendas to get anything accomplished, especially a hot button issue like expanding gun rights. Everyone in the gun rights communiy owes you a debt of gratitude.

Thanks again.

Ben

Ben,

You are quite welcome.

This year we had a big team helping up there. I think at least 10 LSA members attended at least one committee meeting. The NRA lobbyist paid us a complement when she told me that LSA always showed up, with witnesses, any time we were needed. Her other state associations were not as engaged.

Dan

Top Bottom