Contractor issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Monday I had a section of driveway and sidewalk replaced. They poured about 10am and were just finishing up the brooming when a storm showed up. They covered with visqueen and left it overnight. Tuesday morning they uncovered the concrete and this is what I found...

There were a few low spots that had to be patched also. He says the streaking and discoloration should fade in a few days. Any thoughts?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The strikes are just areas that had more moisture while it was drying.

My question is knowing that there was small storm comming why didnt the contractor request to the cement company to add hardener to the concrete when they mixed it??????

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    We do concrete in the plant all the time. It might fade a little bit, but it won't end up perfect. Maybe in three or four years wear and tear, dirt and grime. You paid for a perfect job, I'd have to get a little money back on it. If the contractor is reputable, he'll take a cut onthe job cost, his finishers should have known better than to leave it over night.

yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    Look I build swiming pools and we also do all types of concrete work. It will fad in a few days if you still dont like it you can request them to do a mild acid wash and pressure was it but you will have to wait a few weeks and let it cure.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    The exact same thing happened to my Uncle, that was 4 years ago and it still looks exactly like your pictures.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    It should fade a good bit. I work in residential construction and have seen 1000 of driveways poured. Some will look like that a day after its poured then a couple of weeks later we come back and you can barely tell. I personally would just ask for a bit off the job and not worry about it, really not a big deal to me. But I know some people our obsessed about keeping their driveway pristine and im one of the people who have oil stains and crap all over mine.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I am having a house built and when they poured the driveway it rained on it. I don't guess they covered it b/c you can see all the rain drops in the finish. It is very noticable. Is there any fix to this problem?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It will fade in a few days if you still don't like it you can request them to do a mild acid wash and pressure wash it but you will have to wait a few weeks and let it cure.

this. a few years ago we poured a new pad at my hangar just before an unexpected t-storm and it still looks like this. I've always assumed it was a reaction between something in the concrete and the plastic / visqueen. I've never done anything about it, but it's not on my driveway either.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Headshot, you could have them sand (blast?) off 1 mm or so.

The contractor said no big deal. He said the sun would turn it white when it dried. It didn't. He did the patches yesterday and left without saying a word. I thought he'd be by the house for the balance of the money, but he didn't show up last night. I worry when a contractor isn't looking for money...

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    update:
    The contractor came by today. He says he's never had this happen before. He's going to try adding a top coat (not sure what yet) and if that doesn't work he'll tear it out and start over. Made me feel better about it but I'm not all that optimistic about the top coat. He's coming over tomorrow AM. I think we're expecting more rain...

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    update:
    The contractor came by today. He says he's never had this happen before. He's going to try adding a top coat (not sure what yet) and if that doesn't work he'll tear it out and start over. Made me feel better about it but I'm not all that optimistic about the top coat. He's coming over tomorrow AM. I think we're expecting more rain...

well, at least he came back and is going to address it. I would still try the muriatic acid trick before anything else. it would be way easier than tearing it out for sure.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    I see the face and body of an Alien in the first picture.
    attachment.php

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Actually, there are micro-topping products (co-polymer enriched) that provide a stronger, more durable and far more uniform surface than concrete, IF PROPERLY APPLIED. They are as thin as 1/32. You could then do some magnificent stained finishes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom