Converting to solar energy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Remember the calculations of energy savings are generally based on ideal conditions, which will rarely be the case. Also, they become less efficient over time. You'd probably be better off investing in some good windows, extra insulation in the attic, a radiant barrier in you attic, and perhaps a better a/c system.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    http://joule-energy.com/

Had this company come to my house the other day roughly 5,000 to to install and all they would be bought outright once they get the tax incentives in.

What do ya'll think.

Update as well I put radiant barrier up in my attic and it lowered the bill some. I have insulated windows throughout the house once I get my next bill in I'll post up the percentage in savings I have from bill to bill.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Ah that sucks. Well i did end up getting cost efficient appliances when i got my home just thought it would be nice to save some money in the long run. The summer ac bills i have been getting has put a damper on some of my "fun money".

Other than cost savings not being there yet anyone have any good ideas to save more in the mean time?

This is a list of what i am doing now to help.

-I have everything on power a power strip so unless its a everyday use it stays off until needed.
    -I keep the thermostat on 80 when i am not at home. 76-78 When i am sleeping at night.
    -I use ceiling fans when i am home during the day and try not to lower the ac.

Below are a couple things i was thinking of fixing.

-When i bought the house i found that the ceiling whirly bird fan doesn't work (was thinking it would help keep it cooler by getting the hot air the shingles are throwing out.
    -Closing off the vents to the extra rooms that are not in use in the house.

I am up for any ideas :) thanks in advance.

If your talking about the fan that's in the attic for sure get it fixed. It helps the house vent and keeps the attic cooler which will help keep the whole house cooler

Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    I had Gunn Electric out of Pineville install my system in December. I financed the entire $25k intererst free for 1 year and once I get all my tax credits the system will cost me $5k out of pocket. I went with the stadium mount system since I have plenty of space for it and it allows me easy acces to clean the film off the panels 1-2 times a year. This is how many KW's my plant produced for the following months Jan-597, Feb-437, Mar-637, Apr-815, May-801, and right at 400 for this month. When the shading analysis was done it was calculated that it would take 3.5 years for me to recoup my 5K investment. I'm still not sure if it was a wise investent but it was nice having a $9.27 bill for last month.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If you can afford it, pay for the panels up front. I got an extra two panels by paying for mine up front and then waited on the rebates. Had them put in a standby generator while they were here, so I was borrowing money anyway.

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    I was talking to someone in that is new at working in this industry. They told me that the grid has to be up for these systems to work. In other words, I can't run anything when the power is out.
    So, I couldn't run a light when the sun is shining during a power outage. Anyone?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There are two ways to use solar. If you get totally off the grid and only use solar, it is very expensive. Batteries are needed for storage for when it is cloudy and at night. You would be off the grid, so it wouldn't matter what the grid was doing, your stuff would be working. Most people use a system that works with the grid. During the day when the panels are producing more than what you use, the power company buys it from you. When the power goes out, the panels are set to shut down. They don't want you backfeeding the line shocking their workers. But if we have a hurricane and the power goes out, I have more things to worry about than if my panels are working.

Top Bottom