Convicted Felon Gun possession and ownership

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Could've been the old school manufacturing charge. It apparently was felony posession to manufacture back then. That is second hand knowledge from someone much more informed than me.

JM - "Felony paraphernalia doesn't even kick in until the third offense. So tim took a felony plea to a misdemeanor crime. It makes so much sense."
    You know JM....I have heard crap like what you are saying from some older cops. All I know is that the DA was charging me with paraphernalia...a syringe which had cocaine residue...a syringe which was my brothers...in his jacket...with his glasses.
    I don't wear glasses and was never stupid enough to leave crap laying around my house. FWIW...thats exactly why i kicked him out. He has been a parasite all of his life IMO.

And FWIW...by pleading guilty to a weed misdemeanor charge...if I am ever caught with weed again...then thats a felony. 2nd weed charge is treated as a felony. Who the heck knows what the laws were in 1996. All I know is what the DA charged me with and what I pled to. The drug laws are pure BS in this state.

And...FWIW....some day...KARMA is going to bite some of you people on the ass. When it does....I hope you remember this conversation. Life is not fair. Thats a fact. And it ain't Black and White.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So you're misrepresenting the truth, calling the officers who came to your house corrupt, and karma is going to get some people?

Even by your story you had weed, a gun, and a bad shoot. That isn't even discussing the paraphernalia which was in your house. Seems like you plead guilty to less than what you actually did. I always know it is BS when someone starts talking about gray area. That means they are guilty, but trying hard to justify themself.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    JM - "Felony paraphernalia doesn't even kick in until the third offense. So tim took a felony plea to a misdemeanor crime. It makes so much sense."
    You know JM....I have heard crap like what you are saying from some older cops. All I know is that the DA was charging me with paraphernalia...a syringe which had cocaine residue...a syringe which was my brothers...in his jacket...with his glasses.
    I don't wear glasses and was never stupid enough to leave crap laying around my house. FWIW...thats exactly why i kicked him out. He has been a parasite all of his life IMO.

And FWIW...by pleading guilty to a weed misdemeanor charge...if I am ever caught with weed again...then thats a felony. 2nd weed charge is treated as a felony. Who the heck knows what the laws were in 1996. All I know is what the DA charged me with and what I pled to. The drug laws are pure BS in this state.

And...FWIW....some day...KARMA is going to bite some of you people on the ass. When it does....I hope you remember this conversation. Life is not fair. Thats a fact. And it ain't Black and White.

The syringe had cocaine residue or heroin residue? People haven't used Cocaine Intravenously since the turn on the 20th Century. It makes total sense if you had heroin residue and heroin related paraphernalia. Did you know your brother was an IV drug user.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for sharing your story, it's nice to know that something good came out of all of that. Shitty situation, but it says a lot that you made it back to where you were before. Props.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    People don't shoot up cocaine. Not since Sig Freud and Sherlock Holmes. Powder is too expensive and too impure. Crack is cheap as is heroin. The old 7% solution has gone outta style.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    As usual, like I've said before, I cannot remember the last time I spoke to a convicted felon who admitted that they were wrong.

JR1572

I work in the Boat and Barge industry and talk to felons all the time that are remorseful and have learned from their mistakes. They will admit they messed up and are just looking to get a chance to move forward with their lives. If you mean what you said, then you aren't looking hard enough or wanting to hear what those people say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    People don't shoot up cocaine. Not since Sig Freud and Sherlock Holmes. Powder is too expensive and too impure. Crack is cheap as is heroin. The old 7% solution has gone outta style.

It is done all the time. The usual progression is snorting----> smoking---> injecting. For once, you are out of your depth. No worries, if you had to choose a topic to be out of depth on, drug use is one of the best ones I think. :)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I work in the Boat and Barge industry and talk to felons all the time that are remorseful and have learned from their mistakes. They will admit they messed up and are just looking to get a chance to move forward with their lives. If you mean what you said, then you aren't looking hard enough or wanting to hear what those people say.

You're talking to them while they are WORKING, I think officer interactions are usually a lot different. Those people also admit real guilt, not distort the truth as is the case here.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Apples and oranges. They talk to co-workers differently than they talk to the police.

JR1572

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It is done all the time. The usual progression is snorting----> smoking---> injecting. For once, you are out of your depth. No worries, if you had to choose a topic to be out of depth on, drug use is one of the best ones I think. :)

Actually I'm a cop who interacts with dope fiends and dope dealers daily. In my career I have worked as a Narc. I conducted an informal poll of expirenced dope detectives and we all shook out heads. Nobody is encountering IV Coke users.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Actually I'm a cop who interacts with dope fiends and dope dealers daily. In my career I have worked as a Narc. I conducted an informal poll of expirenced dope detectives and we all shook out heads. Nobody is encountering IV Coke users.

Must be geography then. It is done frequently in Shreveport, usually by white upper class powder users. Before I worked the Psych floor at the VA, I worked as a chemical dependency nurse at a private psych hospital. IV use of cocaine is not uncommon up here. Heroin made a comeback in Shreveport about 5 years ago and then burned itself out.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Tim, I'm honestly still trying to understand this. You admit to having dope and a gun, you plead to dope and paraphernalia. Dope and paraphernalia<dope and gun. If you plead to lesser charges than what you admit to doing, why do you feel wronged and why is it the officers/DA's fault?

Here is the statute in bold. By your own admissions here you should've been looking at 5 years minimum, so why are you so upset you got off with no jail time?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739

E. If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while in the possession of or during the sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Personally, I'd say forget the needle with whatever residue that "Was your brothers",

You admitted the pot was yours. Pot + gun = felony. You're a felon bro. No way around it. No sense in getting mad at the police who charged with possession (maybe it was the wrong drug, but the Other drug was yours).

You want(ed) to do drugs? Whatever, I don't judge, you're an adult. It's illegal; if you get caught you knew the risks going in. Mix drugs with guns and then you're a Real criminal.

This board is packed full of military and police, we tend to stay on the Other side of the law, so I doubt you'll get any sympathy here.

Play stupid games...

Top Bottom