Cost to replce ac coils?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    My unit has been leaking freon for several years now and I'm tired of paying an arm and a leg to add freon every season. Anyone know the general cost to replace coils?

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I would but some dye in the system most places sell a syringe type where on the high pressure valve you just inject in and then let it run. Use a blacklight after a few hours of running to find the leak, or use a sniffer. The coils if they are leaking would most likely be at the solder connections, valve connections, etc... Unless the unit was damaged in some way usually the coil's them self wont be damaged.

You can get the dye even at automotive store its the same technique used to find leaks in automotive A/C

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    What size is your unit in tons ? ( 3, 4, 5 ect) Also I am assuming you have an older system which will more than likely meen you will need to replace the condenser (unit outside) and the evaporator coil ( inside portion of the cooling system) as a set. This does not take into account replacing the heater/ blower assembly which may need replacement also depending on age and condition. Size will have a effect on cost along with the brand name unit you are purchasing along with it's efficency rating (Seer rating).

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    What size is your unit in tons ? ( 3, 4, 5 ect) Also I am assuming you have an older system which will more than likely meen you will need to replace the condenser (unit outside) and the evaporator coil ( inside portion of the cooling system) as a set. This does not take into account replacing the heater/ blower assembly which may need replacement also depending on age and condition. Size will have a effect on cost along with the brand name unit you are purchasing along with it's efficency rating (Seer rating).

I have a 2.5 ton... It's an older unit. Had someone come out today and did a leak test and told me I needd to replace thT coil on the unit in the attic

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If the unit is more than 15 years old I would not recommend just replacing the evaporator coil. There is also a refrigerant concern as with the older units R-22 was used and is now extremely expensive and being phased out. Replacing the entire cooling portion of the system can be costly, for a 2.5 ton unit anywhere from $1800- $4000 depending on the brand name, efficiency rating and labor charge.

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    If the unit is more than 15 years old I would not recommend just replacing the evaporator coil. There is also a refrigerant concern as with the older units R-22 was used and is now extremely expensive and being phased out. Replacing the entire cooling portion of the system can be costly, for a 2.5 ton unit anywhere from $1800- $4000 depending on the brand name, efficiency rating and labor charge.

They also quoted me at 5,000 for a new system. I may call around and get a few more Estimates on a total system replacement before I get any work done

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    No need to replace the evap and condenser units as a pair- sales tactic and yes you can still buy r22 system and they do outperform the newer replacements..
    Very probable the leak is in the evap coil. You can usually replace just the coil but it is a PITA, coil ranges from a couple hundred to close to a grand for the part. Ill let you figure reasonable labor for the job but any competent person can complete the job in under 6 hours from he time they show up to pulling out the driveway. Also keep in mind that r22 is around the $10/ pound range, yet you will probably be charged a whole lot more. A replacement air handler runs 800 and up depending on what it is and brand, 2 grand would be tops.
    Just some info to chew on so you can shop with numbers in mind. I have seen people get under 2 grand in parts installed with a 5 grand price tag. I know very few people that make $3k for a half days work, but people will py when they are hot.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My A/C upstairs at my house was out just 2 days ago. I called Hinton A/C service and they actually sent someone out that day. It happened to be the owner of the company (I went to high school with his son) and he fixed me up and told me he would call me in a few days to check up on the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom