could use advice from offshore guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I just recently got hired on with a offshore supply boat company and got out of the automotive repair industry. I'm going in as a deckhand obviously, and the company I'm with is talking about getting me in the engine room to work with and learn to become a engineer. I'm good with it, due to it being a major career change I've been looking forward to. I'll be working 28/14 schedule. Does anyone on here work in the oil/gas industry offshore on boats/rigs, etc.. that would be willing to offer a green guy any advice whatsoever? I'm literally going into this blind. I don't know anyone personally that works in the industry so i thought I'd ask here.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Bring plenty of everything. Bring Dramamine for sure, for motion sickness, along with any other meds you could possibly need. I’ll think of other things and post up for you.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    Learn to deal with being away for a long time and learn to space out your bills and cash flow.

I worked on drilling rigs and used to take boats and sometimes waves get bad. So yeah get medicine. Anything you use or think you will use get double. A lot of times 28 days could be an extra week or two or someone came up last min and didn't have everything.

Always repack you bag when you get home so it is ready when you are ready for work also.

And the final but most important thing. Save money. Oilfield goes up and down a lot. I am on my second and last layoff now and not going back.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Even if your prone to motion sickness you’ll get used to it.
    Learn as much as you can, document hours, training etc so one day you can go to work on a bigger vessel with a better schedule and living conditions.
    Don’t be lazy, always volunteer for the hard stuff. If you get *asked* to work over they aren’t really asking. Do it.
    Offshore work is different than a normal job in that you need to make your hitch unless there is a serious emergency with immediate family. You are going to miss funerals, weddings, holidays etc so just except that fact and if someone gets pissed about it oh well.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I've been doing this long enough, that I'm kinda scared to share, but been working offshore in the industry since the late 70's. all of the above is good advice, but I'll add a few more:
    1. Try to learn as much as you can. Any training offered, take it, you'll use it even if you don't stay at your new job.
    2. There will be someone, somewhere, that claims to know everything there is to know about the industry. When you run across that guy, RUN! He's the one that will get you killed. NOBODY knows everything about this industry, and never will.
    3. Don't always take the first explanation for how or why something works the way it does. Observe for yourself, and if what you're told doesn't feel right, search or research the correct way. In your chosen path, the U.S.C.G. and A.B.S. is the bomb when it comes to the marine side of things. Those guys are awesome!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    One more thing. Allot of guys out there end up divorced. While some marriages are destined for failure I noticed a common thing out there.

You can’t spend X amount of days offshore then go home and think you’ll stay in the woods or bar or fishing everyday home. No woman will stand for that very long.

WILDMAN

Liberty Gun Works
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Mar 19, 2007
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    So Far, all of this is great advise. I have worked in the gas and oil industry for about 16 years and yes it is at best, a temporary employment unless you are on with a major company and vested with that company. I think the best advise would be to save, save, save as much as you can put aside. Next would be as I see your Navy avatar, which you well know means "never again volunteer yourself", Always volunteer for everything they offer as in training and different positions on the boat. Learn what you can. It will all pay off in the end if you fall into the layoff crowd. There will be other companies as they all come and go in the oilfield. I too was Navy and still must take Dramamine to keep from hanging over the side. The third most important thing would be to never take your wife for granted. Spend your days off with the family. Good Luck and Smooth Sailing

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    I like to play games, and it was always funny on how every crew/supply boat have an xbox/ps. When the switch came out, I started bringing that. I have friends that bring their gaming systems, and other bring a gaming laptop. A few boats have satellite internet that works pretty well, so if you like surfing the net on your time off, you can always do that.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I just recently got hired on with a offshore supply boat company and got out of the automotive repair industry. I'm going in as a deckhand obviously, and the company I'm with is talking about getting me in the engine room to work with and learn to become a engineer. I'm good with it, due to it being a major career change I've been looking forward to. I'll be working 28/14 schedule. Does anyone on here work in the oil/gas industry offshore on boats/rigs, etc.. that would be willing to offer a green guy any advice whatsoever? I'm literally going into this blind. I don't know anyone personally that works in the industry so i thought I'd ask here.

Bring some Nyqill, Sudafed, Benadryll. People living in close quarters like that pass a virus around like a whorehouse. Keep little things in your bag to get others out of a bind and you'll go far. I kept a waterproof box with a Navy dive handbook, cards, dice, needle/thread, extra toothbrush etc.

Behave!!! I've been greeted by customs at the dock. I've been greeted by a nurse at the dock, ready to take samples for a drug test.

I haven't been offshore for about 15 years, but if I were doing it today, I'd get a fire tablet and fill it up with shows before I left. I'd also keep extra chargers on me.

They will feel you out. You'll be asked to get a sea hook, wheelwash sample, can of A-I-R, left handed bolt stretcher, etc.

Good luck to you.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been in the offshore life for 12 years now and here's my advice. I've been on every boat, every platform, and every rig doing internet and phones.

#1 You are responsible for your safety. Watch other and don't take unnecessary risk. If it feels to dangerous or your uncomfortable don't do it.

#2 Personal hygiene is very important. Some people in tight quarters don't understand that.

#3 Save your money. The oil field has it up and downs.

For the guys that deck hand you will be cleaning the boat, landing man baskets and cargo, painting, boat repair, cooking and checking in personal. 21 days is a long time make sure you bring the things you need or can't do without.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Never been offshore, but I imagine over-packing is a good idea. I don't have any close ties to many people, so that's not an issue for me, but I never bring work home or home to work. Aside from that the usual rules apply, treat work as practice. I've been an ASE heavy diesel tech and certified Ford tech, combo welder, trim carpenter, structural fitter, now I work on my CNC SawJet all the time at work cutting stone. Everyone has their own way of fixing things, it doesn't matter if it's an engine, transmission, electronics, or guns. At the end of the day parts is parts, the trick is learning how they work and control one another, and remember to start with the most simple thing first and work your way from there. The most common thing I see people do is go for the worst case failure first.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Slightly different but I spent 9 years traveling overseas on ships long ago.
    I was Coast Guard Certified as a QMED and Lifeboatman.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I did tugboats on the river 30/15 for a couple years. I treated it as a means to an end and it paid off. I was single and had a motorcycle for transportation. Had a girlfriend I lived with and always spent my two weeks off with her. The only thing I see not mentioned here is Jody. You can’t spend a minute worrying about him. Dwelling on Jody can get you hurt or killed. Best you can hope for is that he will buy some groceries or at least leave some beer in the fridge. That was always my answer for anyone trying to rile me about it. There are guys out there who do fine with juggling the job and the home front. Don’t underestimate the strain it can put on a relationship and whenever you have a gripe about yours, remember that the job is your choice.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    You're sole purpose offshore is to make money.

ALWAYS be interested in a better paying job and follow the rules. When push comes to shove and shtf these companies and your coworkers will throw you under the bus.

You'll get a taste for a preferred work schedule - I prefer equal time 14/14 is a good balance of pay and keeping the mrs. Happy. 28/14... People change in a month.

If your wife wants to talk... Do it asap.

Don't get involved with gossip and be mindful who you share your personal home life with.

As mentioned previous - keep track of your hours and always have the captain sign off on your MMC. Your official credited work is your key to official advancement.

Your marine title is good anywhere... On any vessel.

NEVER smoke weed. Drug tests are at the will of anyone ... 24/7. #### never ever be late. There is no excuse for it being it's typically a 50' or less walk to begin your day.

I don't miss important dates at all. Being I'm good at what I do and am always looking for a better position ..along with savings/investments I'm no doormat.

Don't go buy a stupid 80k truck and be tied to payments that couldn't possibly be covered at your previous job. Pay cash.

Lastly, live off the $$ you earned before offshore and put back/invest the rest (even if it's hidden from your wife).

Last edited:

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs

Well, looks like you've been blessed with some very good sage advice.

Having experienced sea life via tugs & ships, helicopters & sea planes. It is my suggestion you take heed to the foregoing, and listen to your co-workers, they may also add an insight of what you are about to experience.

Remember Safety First!! Wish You All the Best!!

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    did just over 8 years working offshore. took many a crew boats to rigs and work boats.

bring entertainment.

deck hand is bottom rung, you will do every scutt job from cleaning toilets to cooking meals.

you hours and log matter, its the only way to move up officially. your company may make you an engineer, but if you dont have the certs/logs you are a deckhand everywhere else.

go to a dr and get an rx for scolpamine patches for seasickness. works 100x better than dramamine. some people never "get used to" sea sickness.

Top Bottom