Coyotes on my property

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    I saw an adult coyote running through my property to the woods back behind me. I've never seen them here before and they got me nervous b/c I have small kids. Should I shoot them asap or are they nothing to worry about? I walked around by the woods and found a **** and I know this ain't my dogs ****.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      236 KB · Views: 176

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    They are notoriously hard on sheep, goats, and cats. Cows only during calving season. I wouldn't worry about the kids. But if they get you mad send them into the woods with a dying rabbit call. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I don't know if this fits the situation but my daddy always said, and I quote " IF YOU LET A WOMAN SH#T ON YOU ONCE, THEY WILL ALWAYS SH#T ON YOU, YOU BETTER NIP THAT SH#T IN THE BUTT SON!!!" Lol ol' pops gotta love him. So I would shoot him lol

Sniper56

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    If you live where a regular firearm is not a good idea you might try and find a Benjamin pump up pellet gun. These are quiet, accurate and lethal when pumped 15 or 20 times. A round to the head or chest will do the trick. I have used mine to good effect.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I see them here sometimes but I have learned that they cycle with the rabbits here. When I see rabbits around the cayotes come. No more rabbits (a week or two) and cayotes are gone. They follow their food source and go to the next only to come back when the food grows back. I only shoot the ones that look diseased, starved and mangy. Just gotta decide what your level of "threat" acceptance is. As for me, I'm a hell of a lot harder on the two legged ones.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    2f27b7c8f2a8ddf6f3fea55b694fc9cd.jpg

2a4361bce81493fae6960658ee8382a0.jpg

I will, on occasion, send a 60 grain .22 round through the skull of a yote.
    But only when I see one long enough to draw a bead and pull the trigger. This juvenile was the exception. Couple summers back, spent the morning mowing in the back and was out in the shop playing with a Ruger pistol, had just shoved a mag in and saw him moving out of the tree line and opened up on him.
    As far as I know, year round, open season on varmints. And they are just that. It would be a rarity for a sober yote to go out of his way to harm a human. But they are prone to rabies. Small animals and most any livestock are prone to pack attacks.
    That being said, I have enjoyed a few early morning hunts for them using a predator call, fawn in distress or squealing rabbit, and evening to past dark set on social howl. Never needed more than a .22

EDIT: that's a coyote, not a fox. And yes, the hairy pile of poo in the OP's pic looks like genuine coyote crap if I ever saw it.

Last edited:

assault

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2012
    feleciana's
    I only kill them if they cause a threat.... I see them as a beautiful animal... Not much on killing things I don't eat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. The coyote I saw looked very healthy, I doubt its got rabies. Sounds like I can leave them be until I get tired of seeing coyote **** all over.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've never seen any bigger than a 20-25 lb dog, but they are right behind hogs when it comes to "population control." If you've got the property and you can discharge a firearm without causing problems, then pop one or two, or all of them you see :D

BTW, like Magdump said, a .22lr is all you need, but a .17hmr is much mo betta :beer:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. The coyote I saw looked very healthy, I doubt its got rabies. Sounds like I can leave them be until I get tired of seeing coyote **** all over.

I agree, attacks on people are basically unheard of. If they aren't causing problems for you, leave them be.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

Personally I would be interested in location sooner than volume. Typically they avoid human contact, but if you start seeing piles close up to the house or outdoor furniture, play equipment, shops, ect. that means they arnt scared enough. I would shoot a couple at that point. It you start seeing more than one its time to start shooting them. While they are of little concequence to humans they are hard on domestic and wild prey.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you have a small dog, or cat...they will snatch them up. If I were you, I'd kill everyone of them. Why take a chance on what they might do. You'll only be sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom