Creating A Trust To Own NFA Firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ok, so can add and take away people only with a revocable trust right?

Second question, what if you move? Can you change the address on both the revocable and irrevocable trusts?

tlowry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    bayoutrigger, I'll address this to you since it seems as though you are pretty knowledgeable about the NFA. you mentioned that trusts became legal in La. in 1938, was that for purchasing NFA items or trusts in general. also once the NFA of 1934 became law has louisiana always had the same restrictions every since then. I read where some states are just now allowing suppressor purchases. If I am correct La. allows everything pertaining to NFA items. Has it always been this way? If you could just direct me to the source where this info is available it would be greatly appreciated. I like to know the history of how we got to where we are today. Thanks, tlowry
    Also, aren't LLC's a relatively new concept.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am pretty new to the NFA process, but hopefully by christmas I will have my first SBR. I was able to go the individual route on this, but the sheriff wouldn't sign off on a suppressor. So, I am planning on using the trust posted earlier in this forum but one thing I don't understand is whether or not I have to record the trust with the Clerk of court or anything. I filled out the Trust and got it notarized and signed by witnesses. Can I just forward a copy of the notarized trust to my dealer, or do I need to do anything else before sending it?

trey504

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    NOLA
    I just got my NFA item approved (registered to the trust) now how do I make an amendment and add it to the trust document.

Also does anyone know the procedure to remove names associated with the trust.

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    I just got my NFA item approved (registered to the trust) now how do I make an amendment and add it to the trust document.

Also does anyone know the procedure to remove names associated with the trust.

To add NFA item to trust you would use a form similar to the Transfer To Trust form at the beginning of this thread.

To remove names you would sign an amendment to trust stating who the new trustee(s) will be.

Keep all documents together.

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    Has anyone else followed up on the Trust option. I've decided to pick up one of Will's new .22 suppressors and need to get this going. I was looking for any tips or experiences since the last post.
    Thanks

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    just thought of something...

say a company creates a trust for several suppressors.
    and sells cans to people by adding them to the trust and making them sign an agreement.

could they be able to sell the cans to people even while technically the cans still belong to said company?
    as an alternative to the customer filling out all the forms that one normally would do with supressors?

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    just thought of something...

say a company creates a trust for several suppressors.
    and sells cans to people by adding them to the trust and making them sign an agreement.

could they be able to sell the cans to people even while technically the cans still belong to said company?
    as an alternative to the customer filling out all the forms that one normally would do with supressors?

Did you really have to ask if this was legal? In the NFA game, its either 100% by the book, or FPMITAP.

I, Personally, think that something along the lines of what you mentioned will happen at one point in time, and that will be reason enough for them to not approve Trust/LLC transfers anymore.

Top Bottom