Criminals marking a vehicle for something?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    So, we caught 6" through the house and had to relocate. We ended up in a high end, new apartment complex which is gated but due to the shear number of people moving in due to flooding and construction on the last building in the complex it has stayed open. I'm out of town on a job and the wife sends me a pic of one of the cars with this bag tied to the rim and upon checking there's one tied to my work truck as well (I had to fly to where I am). Filing police report for what it's worth because obviously some asshat purposely tied these on there for some reason but anyone have any input? I've got everything from marked for future theft to mexican mafia from the helpful people around me.

Attachments

• car tire.jpg
      car tire.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 162
    • truck tire.jpg
      truck tire.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 152

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Looks like someone marked them for theft.
    Spotter goes through and finds rims "ordered" by their customers.
    Thieves come through later, identify the marked rims and steal them at an opportune time.
    Of course, this is just a guess but seems logical.

Or, they're like my wife and want to save the bags for later use and tie them to your rim.
    Later on, when they need them, they come back and tear off the bags they need?
    Very green!
    ;)

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Yeah, I was thinking something along the same line but just seems impractical as hell in a complex with traffic and people.

Well, in case I'm right, I'll ask my wife to stop lurking around your apartment complex putting bags on your rims.
    She always has been impractical.
    Problem solved! :)
    And all this time I thought she was at work...

hkump

Rating - 100%
    315   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Tell your wife to go to Best Buy or Sam's Club and get a cheap HD video surveillance kit and aim them at your cars. If anything happens, you'll know who did it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Sunday morning in Tyler Texas, thieves stole 48 full sets of wheels and tires off brand new Chevys. I have never heard of so many stolen at one time....ever. They disabled the car lot lights first earlier in the evening, then came back for the haul. Rendered the video cameras useless due to low/no lighting.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/180-wheels-stolen-texas-chevy-dealership

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Sunday morning in Tyler Texas, thieves stole 48 full sets of wheels and tires off brand new Chevys. I have never heard of so many stolen at one time....ever. They disabled the car lot lights first earlier in the evening, then came back for the haul. Rendered the video cameras useless due to low/no lighting.

This same thing happened to Supreme Chevy in Gonzales quite a few years ago. I can't remember how many vehicles were affected then but it was many.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You might want to pick up some locking lugs. It'll slow them down at least...

Oh, and take the markers off and put them on the car with the nastiest rims in the parking lot. Or if there's a police car that parks there?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I would think they would come sooner rather than later if it was to steal rims. Less time between marking/theft would reduce the likelihood someone notices the mark. Sucks that you can't be there. Maybe the PD will take it seriously enough to have someone pass through periodically tonight and tomorrow to see if anything suspicious is going on.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA

A crew hit a large truck dealer in town once, came through the fence by the interstate, brought pre-cut wood blocks to prop up the target vehicles so they could move the jack from one to the next, got a nice load of brand new wheels/tires off of numerous new semis, then loaded them up in a box truck that was on the lot for service, hot-wired it, and rammed their way out through the gate. Those wheels/tires aren't cheap, many thousands of dollars worth in that caper.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Same in Tyler, you can see the wood blocks used. I've seen cinder blocks used before in New Orleans. You have to use something otherwise you can't get the jack out after removing the wheels and tires.

I find it pretty amazing that the thieves were "working" for at least 2 hours on the lot, with the lighting disabled (out of the ordinary), and not one patrol cop spotted em. Had to have at least two or three box trucks to haul off 180+ wheel/tire assemblies.

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    You might want to pick up some locking lugs. It'll slow them down at least...

Oh, and take the markers off and put them on the car with the nastiest rims in the parking lot. Or if there's a police car that parks there?

Yeah, I told her to tie it on the LSP tahoe that was parked next to me...

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I would think they would come sooner rather than later if it was to steal rims. Less time between marking/theft would reduce the likelihood someone notices the mark. Sucks that you can't be there. Maybe the PD will take it seriously enough to have someone pass through periodically tonight and tomorrow to see if anything suspicious is going on.

Yeah the local PD was cool about it. Agreed that even though it's just some bags on some tires, could be something more devious so they filed a report and that way if we call something in supposed to get a quicker response. They went over to talk to the trooper to let him know about it as well.

Top Bottom