crossbow for the first time

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I had to start shooting a crossbow after a shoulder injury . Bought a Barnett predator and like it . If /when a purchase again it wil be a Ten Point , probably the best out there . Whatever CB ya get its going to be loud ! Also make sure you don't shoot the same bullseye more than once (bolts get expensive) . I destroyed about a half dz the 1st time sighting it in . The speed and the kinetic energy of the bolt added to the shooter being able to hit a dime at 40yrds make up for how loud the damn thing is .

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I guess it depends on your budget. I wanted one to be able to hunt archery but am primarily a gun hunter.
    I bought a Barnett Recruit and love it. It shoots a little over 300fps and very light weight. What I like the most is that its only 16" wide. Most crossbows are 24-28" wide and very bulky for packing through the woods. I had a Barnett Jackal before this and its a great crossbow as well just bulky at 28" wide. The Recruit sells for around $250-300 and comes with a rope cocker, red dot scope and 3 bolts, field tips, and quiver. I shoot Slick Trick Mags which are a conventional broadhead but shoot great out to 45 yards from initial sight in at 20 yards. I tried some mechanicals but couldn't get consistent results as far as where they impacted on target. Check out crossbownation.com/forums for lots of information. The Recruit is a compact bow with extenders on the stock for longer length of pull. You can spend lots more money faster crossbows as well like the Predator mentioned above or the Buck Commander Extreme on up to the 410fps crossbows. Tenpoint makes some great crossbows but they are getting outrageous in pricing. Parker makes some great crossbows as well as Excaliber and others.

PS Don't buy any Horton crossbows. Horton is out of business and there is no warranty on them and parts are problematic. Tenpoint bought the Horton name and may bring out new models under the name but they will not do any warranty work on older models.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Picked up an excalibur vortex this morning. My first crossbow and I am hooked. This thing is bad ass and with the recurve limbs I can cock it by hand and not have to worry about it being drawn uneven. It's really accurate. I think I will use the string cocker for practice but leave it behind for hunting as I can cock it easily enough by hand.
    Did I say this thing is accurate?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    When I bought mine about 5 years ago, I- admittedly- didn't spend a lot of time making a decision. I chose a Barnett Revolution- thinking it would just be something I'd only use a few times a year, anyway. $300 investment- no big deal.

As it turned out, my "cheap" Barnett outperformed a friend's Parker (a higher-end brand) as well as a relative's Ten Point in the accuracy department- including shots out to 70 yards, from a bench rest. I've taken several nice deer with it (works well on coyotes, too:)), and don't see any reason to "upgrade".

That's been my experience, anyway. Others might disagree with my choice- but I'm keeping my Barnett. It just works.

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I wanted a crossbow but did not know what to get. I ended up buying a Barnett and absolutely love it. Barnett makes great bows and you really cant go wrong with any of their models.

Top Bottom