Cry Havok and let slip the Dogs of War

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    looks like a nice site.. cool.. and it is a tradition.. like it or not.. its someone's freedom to do so and if ya dont like it.. dont do it.. just like my hunting with a hawk... I get it all the time.. if it comes back to you its not a fair chase.. I am like BS.. didnt you just see that one get away.. they are the same ones that bitch when they find a feather on the chicken breast at the wal mart..

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't hunt with dogs either but I don't have any issue with other people doing it. We're all hunters and need to stick together regardless.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I was lucky enough to grow up running packs of beagles. Most fun you can have as a boy coming up. All summer you had more dogs than you could ever hope for, and during season you got to tromp the woods yelling for dogs. Way fun.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    That was the only way we hunted deer when I was growing up. This was in the Kisatchie National Forrest in the Pollock/Bently/Dryprong triangle.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Her ya go......
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GKJhbWVW0&p=9936281F887FA15F&playnext=1&index=7[/ame]

Fell free to post it on your site Uncle John

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I've open field coursed sighthounds on rabbit and coyote. Now, I just hunt coons at nite with coonhounds. Just like the "falconry" (I've never done it, but I bet it's pretty cool!!!) mentioned earlier, probably not for everyone. But, I really liked the vid - I'm sure that kid had a good time with his daddy and friends. JMO

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Really depends on the group. I have dog hunted with 2 different groups. The first group I had a blast with and really enjoyed the hunts killing or not. Second group, not so much. Let's do what we can to keep the sport alive. I'd love to find a club close to home that runs dogs.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Dog hunters could do a lot to preserve their tradition, if they did not do dumb **** on other peoples property. I have had them,

Drive around my gates, knocking down my tree's cause they wanted to "get a dog"

Drive to the other side of my property and drop off their dogs,

Drive the roads around my property and shoot anything that moves when it comes off our property.

These action caused the dog hunters to loose their leases because the landowner did not want the headache. I never had to complain, he saw it for himself.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Oh man this is going to be hard to explain, because I dont want to. The video brought tears to my eyes as it looked like the perfect Dog Hunt. The music was outstanding I loved it, and it told the way it is. the hunt was done out of the public eye and all was fair chase. The shot was taken from an elevated stand just the way I recommend. But I cant publish it due to two small infractions, in Louisiana and on any dog deer hunt where hunters are on the ground, 400 square inches of hunter orange should be worn (hat and vest) by everyone. Still hunters get away with only wearing the hat if they are up in a tree on private land. Big thing is Louisiana requires you to plug your shotgun to no more than 3 shots and that was a 4 shot kill rapid fire no time to reload. You have to think about such things before you video.

Actully I feel pretty bad about this.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Dog hunters could do a lot to preserve their tradition, if they did not do dumb **** on other peoples property. I have had them,

Drive around my gates, knocking down my tree's cause they wanted to "get a dog" (OK in that case call the game warden and file a report thats what they are there for. Or you can ask the hunters to be careful like I would.)

Drive to the other side of my property and drop off their dogs, (sounds like they are not on your property just close)

Drive the roads around my property and shoot anything that moves when it comes off our property. (sounds like you have a dog hunting lease next to you, and so what if they do shoot a deer if it comes off your property It wasnt your deer in the first place it is a wild animal. When a hunter tags it then it becomes personal property.) Hunting on or shooting across or down a road is illegal call the law....

These action caused the dog hunters to loose their leases because the landowner did not want the headache. I never had to complain, he saw it for himself.
    (Big land owners started the leases in the first place it is already back fireing on them as out of state hunters with money dont like to lease land in Louisiana and the locals are getting fed up with high lease prices and too many rules...)

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    (Big land owners started the leases in the first place it is already back fireing on them as out of state hunters with money dont like to lease land in Louisiana and the locals are getting fed up with high lease prices and too many rules...)

Wrong, I own my property and its in LA, the landowners in question, are not out of state and activly manage the property for timber and game as I do. I am not wealthy, neither is the other landowners. We just want what is ours and have worked for to be left alone and for the outlaws and road hunters to stop. Dog hunters are their own worst enemy.

That said, Growning up I have hunted with dogs, I dont have a problem with the dogs or dog hunters, but it seems like all the ethical dog hunters are gone and all I see if guys in 4wd's with CB's ( yeah I have one too and can hear the comments and coordinated efforts to run keep the dogs running on our property) dropping off dogs trained to return home dropped off far away from their own property and shooting from the dirt road.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Uncle John, I think that video was shot in Virginia. Wan't that long ago we didn't have to wear any orange, take a "safety" course, join a high dollar lease, or worry about dumbasses shooting our dogs.
    The times they are a changin'......................

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    good points

First of all managing game still doesnt make it yours, neither deer or dogs can read signs. So what your doing is trying to outlaw dog hunting so you can peasefully hunt over a pile of corn, sounds selfish to me but thats a good point ...you want it all even if the dog hunters went exactly by the rules that is a clear point . Ok I understand. My point is to bring these things out as well as the negitive things dog hunters do. At the moment I see dog hunters as being too visible, still hunters commit just as many problems they are just out of sight and out of mind, including the game warden.

Yes the dog hunters do commit violations and this is being addressed, but here are the facts. When you attempt to outlaw an already legal hunting style you will not win. It took myself and a few others 5 years to legalize the crossbow in Louisiana and that was an illegal hunting style we made legal much more difficult. What I learned is simple, even in the face of the Million Man March against the crossbow in Outdoor Life Magazine forum when people get selfish and are against something which in this case included the Pope and Young club and the North American Bowhunters Colition and Bayou State Bowhunters they will lose.

In your case all you really need to do is learn to compermise with your neighbors instead of fighting with them, its all about communication, there is a still season and a dog season both must be respected.

On the video ,,,Ok I kinda figured it was someplace other than Louisiana so I will put it on the site if I can figure out how to do it:rolleyes:

We are going to try to make a better dog hunting show this year for national publication in hopes others do the same. Just like still photos if you intend to publish it nationally on a quality network (not you-tube) make sure everything is by the book. This will help greatly to clean up the act of dog hunters and cast a better light on the subject.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't do it myself- but not because I'm against it. The places I hunt just aren't meant for that type of hunting.

I've heard some hunters say they wish it were banned- because it isn't "sporting". That is a fool's mentality.

NEVER fall for the trick of bashing a form of hunting that you personally do not prefer. Does anyone believe the antis would stop at just one ban on one type of hunting???? "How to eat an elephant" comes to mind.....

Look at what happened in Britain with fox hunting. Yes, It could happen here- if we allow it.

Top Bottom