Curious: Carry at Home Reasons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    you should also teach the 4 year old not to mess with them. Don't trust yourself to be perfect every time, and it's never too early to teach a young one gun safety, before his/her friends or TV does.

Oh, we do. That's been a thread on it's own before. But 4-5 year olds don't always do what they're told and there is a fine line between being safe and having an inaccessible gun.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    So did the LoBianco's. I didn't know you were as old as me. Y'know there's a bunch of whippersnappers scratchin' their noggins...."who?"

I'm not, but I read a bit. Sharon Tate should ring a bell for everyone..... at least to the point "I've heard that name before."

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Post-script: A couple months ago, Saturday afternoon, waliking between the hospital and parking, I was surrounded wolf-pack style by street thugs. One-half block from SEVEN P.D. & S.O. vehicles. Back to wall, I swung umbrella while startng to draw; and calling on my younger, stronger doctor-trainee about 50 or 75 feet ahead. Perps re-evaluated when they say was that I was going to fight-back, was NOT alone, and had a gun. They hauled-ass ! I am 68 and disabled.

Post-post script: Three nights ago, a citizen was shot in that same spot, 1/2 block from our Emergency ramp.

That is the type of thing that worries me. Not for myself, but because my daughter works where I think you are describing in your story. She is a nurse. I bought her a taser to keep handy. She is not fond of guns (although she lets me take her eldest son shooting with me from time to time) but accepted the taser. I just hope she never has to use it.

And your stories are compelling and I completely agree with you and others posts above. You need to be prepared. I was just wondering the reasons some feel the need to be uber-prepared. You need it. I still don't feel in danger going to get the mail. I am disabled, too, so stay inside most of the time. With a loaded firearm (Taurus "The Judge" with .410 and Long Colt .45). I am seriously considering some type contraption to keep either the Judge (a bit large) or my Glock in the vehicle.

Thank you for your time in writing what you did. And congrats on foiling the little pack-o-punks as you did. Too bad stuff like that is so common.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    That "Safety tool" aka gun is like the fire extinguisher you keep in your kitchen.

I get what you're saying but, not to be a dick, do you have the fire extinguisher on you at all times? I have a FE in the kitchen but I don't haul it out with me in case I see a fire. Yeah, I know, a bit extreme but it's really not apples to apples. If I lived in parts of N.O. or other area known for high crime, I'd probably carry too. But other areas, I was just curious what people's reasons were for being armed where crime is more the exception and not the rule.

Yeah, I know someone will say it's the times you don't expect. (I think some posted good examples of this very thing.) But when it's quiet, during the day and not a car on the street (except for the occasional cop cruiser...:) ) I don't think I'll go to the mailbox with a gun. That was all.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I get what you're saying but, not to be a dick, do you have the fire extinguisher on you at all times? I have a FE in the kitchen but I don't haul it out with me in case I see a fire. Yeah, I know, a bit extreme but it's really not apples to apples. If I lived in parts of N.O. or other area known for high crime, I'd probably carry too. But other areas, I was just curious what people's reasons were for being armed where crime is more the exception and not the rule.

Yeah, I know someone will say it's the times you don't expect. (I think some posted good examples of this very thing.) But when it's quiet, during the day and not a car on the street (except for the occasional cop cruiser...:) ) I don't think I'll go to the mailbox with a gun. That was all.

You keep the safety device next to what you want to protect. Your kitchen doesn't travel with you.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    ...I am beginning to wonder whether or not you began this thread just to see what would develop (i.e., a bored troll). You have been given plenty of thoughtful, well-reasoned answers, yet continue to hint around that being armed at home is some sort of aberration... .

I assure you I am neither a troll or doing this to see "what would develop." I am truly curious why some are armed 24/7. Not that I think it is an aberration or absurd, just (I guess) viewing it from my experience. I, personally, don't feel a need to be armed 24/7. Parts of that 24/7? Absolutely. Some others? Again, absolutely and they have given their reason(s). I suppose it comes from my situation which is rather benign compared to others so I see it from that perspective.

If I upset anyone (I mentioned initially that it might) I apologize. I DO see why some feel a need and/or a requirement to keep a gun handy at all times. I also agree that many have given good, logical reasons for doing so. That is what I wanted to know. And now I do and feel more educated about the question I posed.

Thanks to all who responded and sorry if some got annoyed.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    I assure you I am neither a troll or doing this to see "what would develop." I am truly curious why some are armed 24/7. Not that I think it is an aberration or absurd, just (I guess) viewing it from my experience. I, personally, don't feel a need to be armed 24/7. Parts of that 24/7? Absolutely. Some others? Again, absolutely and they have given their reason(s). I suppose it comes from my situation which is rather benign compared to others so I see it from that perspective.

If I upset anyone (I mentioned initially that it might) I apologize. I DO see why some feel a need and/or a requirement to keep a gun handy at all times. I also agree that many have given good, logical reasons for doing so. That is what I wanted to know. And now I do and feel more educated about the question I posed.

Thanks to all who responded and sorry if some got annoyed.

Robert, dude, people said what they felt in the first few responses. Why would anyone ever want to protect themselves? The answer is because they know there *may* be an issue at some point. You're going to start giving Louisiana a bad name!

"Larry, the Cable Guy"

"Even after the Super Bowl victory of the New Orleans Saints, I have noticed a large number of people, implying with bad jokes, that Cajuns aren't smart. I would like to state for the record that I disagree with that assessment. Anybody who would build a city 5 feet below sea level in a hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats who can't swim is a damn genius".

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    If you're the kinda guy who...

...only puts in his wallet the licenses, money (exact change), credit cards, etc. that he knows will be used that day...

...only puts on his key ring the keys he knows will be used that day...

...only puts enough gas in the vehicle to get to the next station...

...only buys enough insurance to exactly cover his next accident...

...oh, Nevermind.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If you're the kinda guy who...

...only puts in his wallet the licenses, money (exact change), credit cards, etc. that he knows will be used that day...

...only puts on his key ring the keys he knows will be used that day...

...only puts enough gas in the vehicle to get to the next station...

...only buys enough insurance to exactly cover his next accident...

...oh, Nevermind.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Additionally, it's just easier to arm myself and just stay that way throughout the day. I generally doubt I will need it, but it's there incase I do.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I used to schedule all of my criminal encounters. I subscribed to a service which would take care of the details for you. You called them up at least 12 hours before hand and placed your order for a robbery, assault, rape, whatever you wanted to experiance. You told them the time and place you would want the incident to occur and the service would have a criminal there to commit the crime. This was a very convenient service and I made sure that I was always armed for my prearranged criminal encounters.
    Sadly, times change and I had to tighten the belt on some things like the guy who mowed my lawn and the Criminal Schedule Service. I really miss not knowing the exact time and location of criminal encounters. Now things are totally random. It's like when I gave up scheduling my car accidents. When I stopped doing that I realized that I should start wearing my seatbelt everywhere I go in my car just in case. So it has become with my gun. Instead of just taking it out of the closet, dusting it off and putting it on for the occasional, scheduled criminal encounter, now I keep it with me all of the time. If I knew when and where I would need my gun I would probably just leave it in the closet until that time.

yale, this is, without a doubt, some of your finest writing. :D

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    I've been chuckling about this since I first read it.

Listen for a variation on this to be on the radio soon. ;)

I used to schedule all of my criminal encounters. I subscribed to a service which would take care of the details for you. You called them up at least 12 hours before hand and placed your order for a robbery, assault, rape, whatever you wanted to experiance. You told them the time and place you would want the incident to occur and the service would have a criminal there to commit the crime. This was a very convenient service and I made sure that I was always armed for my prearranged criminal encounters.
    Sadly, times change and I had to tighten the belt on some things like the guy who mowed my lawn and the Criminal Schedule Service. I really miss not knowing the exact time and location of criminal encounters. Now things are totally random. It's like when I gave up scheduling my car accidents. When I stopped doing that I realized that I should start wearing my seatbelt everywhere I go in my car just in case. So it has become with my gun. Instead of just taking it out of the closet, dusting it off and putting it on for the occasional, scheduled criminal encounter, now I keep it with me all of the time. If I knew when and where I would need my gun I would probably just leave it in the closet until that time.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Why? Because trust in your fellow man eh, stranger; is so hard to come by today.

Actually, this attitude is just part of the "dumbing-down" of the USA. You are a victim !

Most of our fellow men are a hell of a lot better than governmental bureaucrats !

We are all in the same boat and must trust one-another. Or, all is lost to our wanna-be eliteist masters !

Go meet your neighbor. Go to church and meet several neighbors. Go to a sporting event, BBQ, crawfish boil, or neighborhood bar and meet your neighbors.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Our "FELLOW MAN" is not the problem !

leVieux

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've been chuckling about this since I first read it.

Listen for a variation on this to be on the radio soon. ;)

That missive from Yale reminds me of a quip from a friend stating that he has a sign on his door that reads- "Criminals Please Hold Still, I'm Used to Shooting Paper Targets".

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    Well, because I'm paranoid. Seriously, I don't carry while in the house but there is a weapon in every room of the house within arms reach. (yes, even in the shitter). Now I don't go outside of my home without a weapon, even if I'm just going outside for a smoke. If you take a ride through my "hood" you'll understand why.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I just truly am curious as to why access to a firearm is felt to be required for a lot of people. Any light /reasons you can shed on this much appreciated! Thanks.

Because the society we live in has dangerous people in it who normally refrain from giving a generous "heads up" before claiming their next victim.

Not trying to be a smartass (:p), but to me, it's about as simple as that. I'd much rather have and not need than need and not have.:)

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I don't but I'm childless with a loaded accessable firearm within a 15' radius (max). If I had little ones around I would be carrying or have the unlocked weapon within my immediate control at all times.

around 2002 or so, there was a very skilled bunch of armed robbers who busted the door down in occcupied dwellings, would immediately subdue the victims, and targeted expensive portable items.

Just last year in Beauregard town (by police HQ) a man stormed the front door and shot a woman dead. It can and does happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom