Custom Molded Ear Plugs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I am looking to get a set of Custom Molded Ear Plugs any ideas of who does them and what options they offer around Houma Thib or even Metairie?

PS I saw a couple old post saying Mrs. Barbara does them and sent a e-mail but havent heard back so if anyone talks to her find out if she still does them.

Thanks

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Look for a hearing aid shop. They can make silicone molds of your ears for CHEAP and they work GREAT! I have been using mine for some 8 years now!

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife is an Audiologist in Baton Rouge, and I asked her recently to look into making me a set. She is checking out the various options now for me. Audiologists or other hearing aid shops are your best bet locally for this type of service.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just call Miss Barbara, she had made a pair for me when I started shooting in USPSA

I lost them about a 6 months ago and never bothered in getting another pair :)

Last edited:

davidd

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just call Miss Barbara, she had made a pair for me when I started shooting in USPSA

I lost them about a 6 months ago and never bothered in getting another pair :)

If you want ordinary earplugs, this is probably your cheapest alternative. If you want plugs that have mechanical or electrical noise filtering (what I am looking for), you may need to look elsewhere. I personally am expecting a significant "spousal" discount on my order...

davidd

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    http://www.westone.com/custom-products/Custom Fit Hearing Protection Products

The "High Noise" type 47 is what she recommended for shooters like us. The type 39 hunting model lets more normal sound through, but offers less overall protection. I plan to use these underneath a set of amplified earmuffs, for excellent overall protection, and also to have something in place for when I get sweaty and pull off the muffs just before an unanticipated shot...

You can always pay more for electronic, but these look like they would meet the needs of most of us.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    My wife is an Audiologist in Baton Rouge, and I asked her recently to look into making me a set. She is checking out the various options now for me. Audiologists or other hearing aid shops are your best bet locally for this type of service.

Lemme guess.... Dr. Erica Lee?

davidd

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Was just takin' a wild guess... Dr. Lee is my audiologist.

Anyway, I wear custom molded ear plugs. Every day. All day long. For 33 years.

Kinda figured that. They all know, or know of, each other. My wife wears them as well, though not for as long as you.

davidd

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do not go to the ENT at the building on Bluebonnet down past perkins and pay $150 (or even $100 for the discount they give if you buy the regular instant molded ones also) for the ones with the mechanical filter. trust me.

eta: these are the ones i am talking about:
    http://www.westone.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products

I completely agree with this assessment. I have a set like these that are 15 or so years old, and they do not work very well. I am hoping that the type 47 are a better fit for an environment where there is steady noise (i.e. shooting range).

Top Bottom