Customized my kimber custom ii last night.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Well I ended up with a Kimber custom ii in a trade yesterday. I got home and was looking at it and decided to do a little work to it. I noticed the finish was the same as the black part of the eclipse. I have always wanted an eclipse for the look of it. Well I decided to break out the sandpaper and a trick I learned a year or so ago to getting a smooth level finish when polishing something flat. After 5 hours and two packs of sandpaper here are the results.

Before:

2011-12-15_12-43-32_156.jpg

2011-12-15_12-43-22_916.jpg

After:

2011-12-16_13-00-24_934.jpg

2011-12-16_13-00-34_652.jpg

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Looks great. Now a couple of newbie dumb questions. Is the slide and frame stainless? If not, other than keeping it soaking in a bucket of oil, whats to keep it from rusting?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Its not stainless. Its just steel and what is to keep it from rusting? What is to a keep a parkerized steel gun from rusting? Simple just taking care of it. Lightly oil it every couple days. I have been carrying this one since I did it, and all my carry guns get wiped down at the end of the day. It's not something I worry about if the gun is kept in a climate controlled enviorment with relatively low humidity there's nothing to worry about but neglect. Just don't neglect your firearm and there's nothing to worry about.

And thanks for all the comments keep them coming!!!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    What is to a keep a parkerized steel gun from rusting? Simple just taking care of it.!
    A very rough and porous surface finish that holds and keep the oil cohesively bound to the gun, creating a corrosion resistant sealant of sorts.

Lightly oil it every couple days. I have been carrying this one since I did it, and all my carry guns get wiped down at the end of the day.
    Wow. You got more time than me! My carry gun gets taken off the belt, and placed, in holster, on the night stand. Every now and then I wipe the lint and dust off it and that's about it. Never have a problem.

Looks beautiful though, man. Great finish to it. The bare white steel sure would make me nervous as hell though, if it were me.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    A very rough and porous surface finish that holds and keep the oil cohesively bound to the gun, creating a corrosion resistant sealant of sorts.

Wow. You got more time than me! My carry gun gets taken off the belt, and placed, in holster, on the night stand. Every now and then I wipe the lint and dust off it and that's about it. Never have a problem.

Looks beautiful though, man. Great finish to it. The bare white steel sure would make me nervous as hell though, if it were me.

It doesn't bother me being bare steel I have several guns that are and none of them have ever rusted. And I do tend to have a lot of free time. I go to work for an 8 hour shift come home eat dinner and have nothing else to do until about midnight and then I go to sleep and start over.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I keep open bags of rice in mine. The rice absorbs all the moisture. And I rotate out several of the big silica packs once a month

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom