Customs is hiring - announcement EXTENDED to 9 OCT, 2013

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Dixiejarhead, Is your position under the Federal LE Retirement 6C retirement (GL 3-10 GS for 11 and above) or regular civil service? My reference was for personnel under the federal LE retirement that are not on the LEAP pay schedule!

We are under public law 110-161. We are NOT LEAP or AUO. We are standard GS rating under Customs Officers Pay Reform Act. Journey level (full performance level) is GS 12 step 1. We are federal LE retirement, and we can switch over to 6C and 12D covered positions without loss of time or penalty. Border Patrol is 12D and AUO. Confusing I know, but that is how it is.

20 year retirement if age 57 is reached, or 25 years of service at any age. Retirement calculation is 1.7% per year times your highest three consecutive years pay (including up to half of OT cap - 17,500.00) plus social security plus Thrift Savings Program (Mutual fund with matching contributions from service 4% for 5% you contribute.)

Last edited:

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    We are under public law 110-161. We are NOT LEAP or AUO. We are standard GS rating under Customs Officers Pay Reform Act. Journey level (full performance level) is GS 12 step 1. We are federal LE retirement, and we can switch over to 6C and 12D covered positions without loss of time or penalty. Border Patrol is 12D and AUO. Confusing I know, but that is how it is.

20 year retirement if age 57 is reached, or 25 years of service at any age. Retirement calculation is 1.7% per year times your highest three consecutive years pay (including up to half of OT cap - 17,500.00) plus social security plus Thrift Savings Program (Mutual fund with matching contributions from service 4% for 5% you contribute.)

don't know if you mistyped so I'm not arguing just clarifying. You have listed about everything but the age/year you listed is misleading. If you are 6C Federal LE retirement plan you are retirement eligible at age 50 with 20 years or at any age with 25 years of service however at age 57 you are mandatory retired. Zero choice (unless you have a waiver). The month you turn 57 you can work to the end of that month and that's it.

On most other Federal civil service retirement plans it's 1% and you are not eligible to retire until a fuzzy math calculation and most are in their late 50's before eligible however for every year under age 62 the employee is penalized 5% a year.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    don't know if you mistyped so I'm not arguing just clarifying. You have listed about everything but the age/year you listed is misleading. If you are 6C Federal LE retirement plan you are retirement eligible at age 50 with 20 years or at any age with 25 years of service however at age 57 you are mandatory retired. Zero choice (unless you have a waiver). The month you turn 57 you can work to the end of that month and that's it.

On most other Federal civil service retirement plans it's 1% and you are not eligible to retire until a fuzzy math calculation and most are in their late 50's before eligible however for every year under age 62 the employee is penalized 5% a year.

No mistyping. There is an exception for the hiring age for veterans. Other than that, yes if you're 37, you hire on, you have 20 years with 57 mandatory retirement, or at 25 years of service at any age. People like myself are grandfathered in. I can stay as long as I want, but will only receive 20 years at the 1.7 percent. We are 6c compatable, but not 6c. I know, unique.

Taken from another sight:
    As of August 26 OPM has released its official guidance concerning waiving the 37 age limit for veterans for federal law enforcement, positions.

It also cleared up the retirement question, concerning waiving individuals like myself who will be a 40 plus new agent. I get to serve my 20 years and qualify for full law enforcement enhanced retirement.

http://www.chcoc.gov/Transmittals/Tr...smittalId=2484

MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
    Director
    Subject: Change in maximum entry-age requirements for Veterans’ Preference Eligibles
    On July 2, 2008, the Merit Systems Protection Board (Board) issued a final decision in Robert P. Isabella v. Department of State and Office of Personnel Management, 2008 M.S.P.B. 146, that affects preference eligibles who apply for federal positions having a maximum entry-age restriction. The Board decided that the agency’s failure to waive the maximum entry-age requirements for Mr. Isabella, a preference eligible veteran, violated his rights under the Veteran Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) because there was no demonstration that a maximum entry-age was essential to the performance of the position.

Based on the Board’s decision in Isabella, qualified preference eligibles may now apply and be considered for vacancies regardless of whether they meet the maximum age requirements identified at 5 U.S.C. 3307. In order to determine whether it must waive a maximum entry-age requirement, an agency must first analyze the affected position to determine whether age is essential to the performance of the position. If the agency decides age is not essential to the position, then it must waive the maximum entry-age requirement for veterans’ preference eligible applicants. In instances where the maximum entry-age is waived, the corresponding mandatory retirement age for these individuals will also be higher because it will be reached after 20 years of Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) service for the entitlement to an immediate enhanced annuity.

The same principles set forth above would apply to appointments to other types of positions for which the setting of maximum entry ages are authorized under 5 U.S.C. § 3307. These types of positions are: (1) firefighters, (2) air traffic controllers, (3) United States Park police, (4) nuclear materials couriers, and (5) customs and border patrol officers (subject to the Federal Employees Retirement System, 5 U.S.C. § 8401 et seq. only).

Agencies are reminded that they are still required to apply suitability, occupational qualification standards, and medical qualification determinations when waiving the maximum entry-age requirements for preference eligible veterans.

Please contact the OPM Human Capital Officer that services your agency should you have questions concerning this policy change.
    cc: Chief Human Capital Officers

Last edited:

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    No mistyping. There is an exception for the hiring age for veterans. Other than that, yes if you're 37, you hire on, you have 20 years with 57 mandatory retirement, or at 25 years of service at any age. People like myself are grandfathered in. I can stay as long as I want, but will only receive 20 years at the 1.7 percent. We are 6c compatable, but not 6c. I know, unique.

Taken from another sight:
    As of August 26 OPM has released its official guidance concerning waiving the 37 age limit for veterans for federal law enforcement, positions.

It also cleared up the retirement question, concerning waiving individuals like myself who will be a 40 plus new agent. I get to serve my 20 years and qualify for full law enforcement enhanced retirement.

http://www.chcoc.gov/Transmittals/Tr...smittalId=2484

MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
    Director
    Subject: Change in maximum entry-age requirements for Veterans’ Preference Eligibles
    On July 2, 2008, the Merit Systems Protection Board (Board) issued a final decision in Robert P. Isabella v. Department of State and Office of Personnel Management, 2008 M.S.P.B. 146, that affects preference eligibles who apply for federal positions having a maximum entry-age restriction. The Board decided that the agency’s failure to waive the maximum entry-age requirements for Mr. Isabella, a preference eligible veteran, violated his rights under the Veteran Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) because there was no demonstration that a maximum entry-age was essential to the performance of the position.

Based on the Board’s decision in Isabella, qualified preference eligibles may now apply and be considered for vacancies regardless of whether they meet the maximum age requirements identified at 5 U.S.C. 3307. In order to determine whether it must waive a maximum entry-age requirement, an agency must first analyze the affected position to determine whether age is essential to the performance of the position. If the agency decides age is not essential to the position, then it must waive the maximum entry-age requirement for veterans’ preference eligible applicants. In instances where the maximum entry-age is waived, the corresponding mandatory retirement age for these individuals will also be higher because it will be reached after 20 years of Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) service for the entitlement to an immediate enhanced annuity.

The same principles set forth above would apply to appointments to other types of positions for which the setting of maximum entry ages are authorized under 5 U.S.C. § 3307. These types of positions are: (1) firefighters, (2) air traffic controllers, (3) United States Park police, (4) nuclear materials couriers, and (5) customs and border patrol officers (subject to the Federal Employees Retirement System, 5 U.S.C. § 8401 et seq. only).

Agencies are reminded that they are still required to apply suitability, occupational qualification standards, and medical qualification determinations when waiving the maximum entry-age requirements for preference eligible veterans.

Please contact the OPM Human Capital Officer that services your agency should you have questions concerning this policy change.
    cc: Chief Human Capital Officers

Basically you were ion with the Border Patrol when they were not covered by the 6C Federal LE retirement plan but then were added. Gotcha. DOJ has some waivers as well but so far there has only been a couple go through. Most just don't want any part of it by the time they retire from the military etc.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Basically you were ion with the Border Patrol when they were not covered by the 6C Federal LE retirement plan but then were added. Gotcha. DOJ has some waivers as well but so far there has only been a couple go through. Most just don't want any part of it by the time they retire from the military etc.

Something like that, but it really does not matter for the new guys coming in. What I stated on pay and OT is correct.

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    No, not military.

this is a long shot but are you are a nurse, doctor or clergy? If so you can get a waiver with the Federal Bureau of Prisons and 1 or 2 other agencies. BOP has the same Federal LE 6C pay and retirement plan, LEOSA covered etc as everything in the Department of Justice

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Good luck to the folks who applied! I couldn't take the initial paycut plus moving. Long term it's a good deal though and these kind of jobs are few and far between.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom