cypress knees

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Why don't you call the Louisiana Department of Argiculture and ask the guys (professional eggheads), we pay to know these answers?

Some of these suggestions above seem a little off the cuff.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    ive got an angle grinder, i might try that.

There ya go.

We used to also use a heavy-duty weedeater-type implement with a circular saw blade bolted on the end to cut them at an old hunting club I belonged to (clearing trails).....Just be careful of kickback with those blades- they don't take prisoners, either. :zombie:

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    kill-it-with-fire-demotivational-poster-1235695993.jpg

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    I once cut out 87 knees in my back yard, from two trees. Next year they were coming back.
    Hit back and forth with a sledge hammer works on some. Others, I dug around them a bit, then hit. Temporary fix unless you get rid of the trees.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was once told by a guy who handles unwanted vegetation on pipeline Rights-of-Way that the best way to ensure something wouldn't stump-sprout was to paint the face of the stump with Roundup. Not the solution but with the concentrated syrup; undiluted. I have had good luck with it here, but you would have to cut the knees flush to the ground first, and then there's no guarantee it wouldn't kill the tree they're connected to.

jhans504

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Roundup works by moving through the leaves of plant life. You would need to spray the needles on a Cyprus.

Generally you are correct; but if you refer to the "Additional Tips" portion of the label, it instructs you how to kill a stump (drill holes & pour product directly into holes). My assumption was based off of this information.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    SawzAll or other cordless reciprocating saw. Chain Saw will work, but it'll destroy the chain very quickly. Blades for the SawzAll or intended to be disposable.

SawzAll for the Win! A SawzAll is one of the greatest tools I've ever owned.

A sawzall with a pack of 10" wood blades will make short work of the knees. You can cut below ground level without worrying about your chain like you would with a chainsaw.

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    Use a pickaxe and cut the root on each side of the knee and pull the knee out. It's also good exercise

Last edited:
    Top Bottom