CZ Phantom or XDM?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I went to buy an XDM 9mm this weekend and ended up seeing the CZ Phantom. I liked the way it felt more than any gun I've looked at so far, but I didn't know anything about it. Anybody here have any input? I already have a glock, and while I do like it, It doesn't fit me very well. I would like to start shooting in the competitions at woodworth sometimes. Thanks!

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Not to kill your decision, but why not start shooting with the gun you have? The best suggestion I received when I approached the participants about getting involved was:
    "Bring the gun you have and we will lend you what you might need"..."Don't buy anything or spend dollars needlessly". Good advice.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    The Phantom is just the polymer version of the CZ Shadow / SPO1. These guns are very accurate out the box and with a trigger job are really nice. Normally, the CZs in general, are a very realible guns.

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    LOL, the xd is very nice, but I loved the phantom as soon as I picked it up. I haven't seen the standard sp01 yet, is it as narrow as the phantom? That's one of the things I liked about it the most.

I believe searching the cz forums would give you your answer. If i'm not mistaken, the SP-01 is a steel version with safety, and the phantom is the polymer with decocker. I could be wrong so don't quote me. I will be picking up a Shadow from CZ customs though...

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Yeah, the phantom is just like the sp-01 tactical except polymer instead of steel. The shadow looks very nice too, although a sizable step up in price. Is yours going to be stock? I have been thinking about it also, although didn't want to spend that much, it may be worth it.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Bite the bullet and get what you want, once you start doing upgrades you will spend more money than what you originally thought.

Just my .02, I am an XD fan and I would prefer it over the Phantom, IF I had a choice I would pic the SP01 though since they are close in price and its on the aprooved list and there are lost of accesories for it on the market.

Have you looked into the M&P Pro??????

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    That xdm papachuck has for sale is a steal! I like the xd because like the glock the trigger has the same constant feel to it. The xdm is also very comfortable in the hand, only thing that would turn me off on the cz is the trigger but like others said you can improve on that.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Yeah, the phantom is just like the sp-01 tactical except polymer instead of steel. The shadow looks very nice too, although a sizable step up in price. Is yours going to be stock? I have been thinking about it also, although didn't want to spend that much, it may be worth it.

I am going with the shadow because it supposedly has a better trigger out the box. Not planning on modding much. I just rather have a decent setup in the event I want to shoot competition. That's just my take though. It'll be a while since I picked up a 1911. That set me back a little bit. Good luck with your choice.

I'm sure many will agree either one will fill the role just fine. It's all down to personal preference.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Get the sp-01. It is on the production list so you could shoot it in there as well as L-10 and limited. As far as I know you can get ten sp-01 wih a decocker as well. Cz's aren't going to win and beauty contests, but they do typically feel the best in the hand. Especially if you are used to a glock.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I stand corrected. I will edit my previous post.

Also, if you want a really nice trigger job, send it to Matt Mink, Angus Hobdel (czcustom.com) or Guy Diebold (in Thibodaux). Well worth the money in my opinion. Other than that, there is nothing else that really needs to be modded on a CZ.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom