Dan Wesson .357 value

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    A buddy asked me to help value his Dan Wesson .357 that he is going to be selling soon. I don't know much about these and the ones I have seen sell on this board vary greatly in price.

The gun has some holster wear and could use a new set of grips, but doesn't have any major pitting or scratches.

Anyone have insight on a realistic value on this gun?

6upyva5e.jpg

azyty5up.jpg

u3y3e9y6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    IMO - the rising and falling tides of the company, the difficulty of supply, uncertainty over parts and some years of rather uneven quality. I love revolvers, but not DW.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I sold one in similar condition on barrel end but no cylinder bluing loss or poor grips here a couple years ago with the 8" barrel for $250 (I think). I greatly underpriced it and was offered 350 multiple times to sell it out from under the promised buyer.
    In the condition yours is in, 250 would be fair- not a bargain and not a ripoff. They are a quality gun. Someday I will buy a full barrel set, maybe.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Ok, after reviewing the other posts, am I missing something? I have only handled a few dan wessons like this but every one was a superb shooter, very accurate and had some of the nicest deep bluing ever seen. Did I just never come across a bad one?
    Weren't they widely used as competition guns in the late 80s?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Ok, after reviewing the other posts, am I missing something? I have only handled a few dan wessons like this but every one was a superb shooter, very accurate and had some of the nicest deep bluing ever seen. Did I just never come across a bad one?
    Weren't they widely used as competition guns in the late 80s?

I still use two Dan Wesson revolvers in competition. They are among the most accurate revolvers I have ever fired. In regards to quality, if it is one of the original guns made in Monson then you can count on it being a good gun. Quality suffered some after production was moved away from Monson. Dan Wessons are known for their accuracy. Their double action pull leaves a lot to be desired but the single action trigger pull is very sweet, at least on the two I have. I won't offer a guess on selling price of your piece but i will say that it would take a very tidy sum to get either of my Dans away from me.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I don't have a clue about a selling price for you.
    I have 1 with the 6" barrel, its actually the only revolver I still have.
    Fit, finish and trigger is as good or better than the big name pistols.
    They had a big following in the competition world at 1 time.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    check gunbroker sold items. that will give you the price they are actually moving at. dw's were known for accuracy because of the front locking system on the cylinder. better cylinder forcing cone alignment (used to shoot silhouette with an 8 inch). the trigger group left much to be desired and traded it away years ago. i do not think they hold much value; especially in rough shape.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I have the full set, Model 15 HV, along with a complete set of internal parts from the factory all in the original case. I have turned down several offers as I do not want to sell it, but I have one friend who is persistent with an offer of $900. I suspect it would take that to get all the barrels and parts and it is a Monson gun.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    I have the full set, Model 15 HV, along with a complete set of internal parts from the factory all in the original case. I have turned down several offers as I do not want to sell it, but I have one friend who is persistent with an offer of $900. I suspect it would take that to get all the barrels and parts and it is a Monson gun.
    So do I, and a few extra goodies!

Untitled.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

7fc5d237-4169-459a-b273-65452ddd058f_zpsf9671f79.jpg

SANY0122_zps0b36f7cd.jpg

SMBLBrake.JPG

Last edited:

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I sold one last December that looked to be about the same cosmetically as yours... it functioned perfectly. I started out at $350.00
    and after 2-3 weeks sold it to the second person to look at it for his original offer of $200.00. I received it in a trade deal and more or less broke even on the deal. Hope this helps.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Its got to be worth more than $250. A freakin tar-ass goes for that or more and the Dan Wesson is about 10X better.

Looks like we have a buyer here. $700 work for you?

Parts and support are practically non-existent for DW. It doesn't have the history and nostalgia of a Colt. It might be a great gun, but nobody wants one. :shrug:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Google Dan Wesson forum and post your question there. I found out my model 715 VH with 6" bbl was worth around $500 there, but I still have the styrofoam box, original receipt, barrel tool and shim and owners manual. It's also a Monson Mass gun. I'm sure you'll find a buyer there probably for more than you will here. That's where the enthusiasts gather.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom