DayZ - Persistent Survival Zombie Game

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You guys are going to make me patch up and get in.

Clarify something for me, if you will. I have Arma II and then installed Arma II: OA (which made it Arma II: Combined Operations). I have access to both the Arma II bootcamp and the Arma II: OA bootcamp/tutorial. Do you have access to both after just buying the single disc (AII:CO)?

That is something I am not sure of. I bought it via Steam and I never played anything besides DayZ.

For this who need help installing the mod go here. www.dayzmod.com

Beware, the learning curve for this game is pretty high. Expect to die a lot in the beginning. It is extremely frustrating and fun at the same time.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i love watching the multi part vids on youtube, hilarious . they had one where it was a group of about 15 guys, they split in the begining as planned, to then meet up up north. I got to watch group one, lotta brotherhood type stuff, they helping eachother linking up with other people. Good stuff. Then they find out group 2 turned in bandits and was killing everyone and everything and group 1 had been brodcasting their position to group 2 for the future meet up over skype or twitter or something. Series left off with group 1 preping to meet group 2, as they decided when they found each other, group 2 needed to be eliminated. I hope group 1 got it done.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Is there a process to download the engine and mods and pay for the serial online to save trying to find the discs somewhere?

Found it, arma2.com and downloading @ 1.5 MB a sec .. should be done by morning..

Looking forward to seeing if this x220i thinkpad will run it.. nervous... I dont wanna have to buy a desktop to play dammit..

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm going to pick it up this weekend in the hopes that my old PC will run it on lowest settings. Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention, it looks like I'll be hooked in no time!

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I quit before I even finished the ARMA II Boot Camp. I got to the RPG range and suddenly got attacked by bandits/enemies. I haven't quite figured out how to move and change weapons well enough so I died. :eek3:

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    I quit before I even finished the ARMA II Boot Camp. I got to the RPG range and suddenly got attacked by bandits/enemies. I haven't quite figured out how to move and change weapons well enough so I died. :eek3:

You zeroed in on the reason I asked the question about the bootcamps above. The standard ARMA II bootcamp is good for a few things, but at the end, be prepared to get your ass kicked. I had to play the game for a month before I knew enough and had enough experience with things to go back and beat them it.

What is happening is that just across the hill behind the targets (10 o'clock), is an empty town that is filled with 5 "friendly" AI that will be the final test, so to speak. You have to take them all out. When you fire off those RPG's, you are alerting them. As the AI are, they come check out what the hub-bub is and see you as the target because that's the reason they're on the map.

At first, they will see you long before you ever see them. But eventually, you'll get used to seeing them early. Finishing that section is not critical. It's good practice, but don't let it get to you.

The Arma II: Operation Arrowhead tutorial is a lot better for teaching, imo. It gives a lot more detailed instructions on how the mechanics work and how to do certain things.

And, of course, if none of you know, the game comes with an editor where you can put things on the map to test them or simply explore the maps in a helo or something.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hey guys, just an offer...

I still have a mission made for standard Arma II: Combined Operations. Well, it's not a mission, it's a training range I built. It basically has everything in the game on the map (within reason...I mean, I didn't put woodland camo military vehicles or civilian vehicles in because it's in the desert). There are no enemies save for locals who will throw rocks at you and I think I gave one of them a gun...and he's hostile.

I can send it to you with instructions on how to run it, or we can figure out a time to get together with some voice comm. and I can walk you all through some things or you can just test out shooting different rifles, vehicles, etc... and how to aim and such without wasting so much ammo in the DayZ mod.

Travel is pretty much automated. You can get to and from different spots around the map with relative ease until you learn how to fly stuff yourself.

It also has a respawn script on the characters (up to 8, if I remember) and on the vehicles. This means if you do die, you respawn. If you crash a vehicle, it respawns too.

You can practice calling in arty, mortars, reinforcements or resupply drops as I have this available as well.

I think I even left a parachute drop in effect as well. Coming back from the northern airfield, you will be kicked out over the southern airfield and have to ride a parachute down.

I have ever gun case and ammo, including static guns (kord, brownings, etc...) in the game at a 300+ yard rifle range. I think I also have a 1000m sniper range still set up as well, but it's near the rocket range. I'll have to check the range to verify that one.

Post here and tell me if you're interested.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    man i just spent the last couple of hours playing this and it has a STEEP learning curve. you dont start out with any form of weapon so if you startle some zombies youre sol. just run and hope they stop chasing you which rarely happens. it does get pretty fun when you actually get to the good stuff though. its just getting there that is a royal PITA

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    Sounds like something I would love to play offshore. Is this only an online game, or is there a single player mode?

i think arma2 you can play single player, but dayz is only online i believe. not sure how much free time you get offshore but you will definitely find yourself playing 3-4 hours on it at a time it seems. i mentioned it to my bro who had arma2 and now its the only thing he plays. its definitely better to get with some friends to play it though. lone wolfing it will get yourself killed and your body looted pretty quick. the average time someone stays alive is ~ 30 minutes right now i think

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    i think arma2 you can play single player, but dayz is only online i believe. not sure how much free time you get offshore but you will definitely find yourself playing 3-4 hours on it at a time it seems. i mentioned it to my bro who had arma2 and now its the only thing he plays. its definitely better to get with some friends to play it though. lone wolfing it will get yourself killed and your body looted pretty quick. the average time someone stays alive is ~ 30 minutes right now i think

I have loads of time offshore for single player. Connection speed is what I don't have. Online games are pretty unpossible.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    got updated and flew around a bit tonight. Took pics for all to see.

Chenarus is a very nice place.

Oh, 2nd pic is from the Takistan map with the army "special" weapons and special forces character model.

Last edited:

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Well I broke down and bought A2:CO from the BI store. Downloaded and installed A2; waiting on OA to download, then I'm going to install it, patch it up, then install DayZ. Probably won't have time to play it much, since I"m going back to work Sunday.

I have checked out a little of A2 though. Since I'm not patched up to latest, I haven't played any multiplayer, but it seems like it will be awesome.

BTW: I went with the retail non-steam version.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom