Dicks sporting goods

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I went to dicks yesterday for the first time- HUGELY unimpressed.
    I went because I wanted to lay eyes on a gun they have exclusive rights to. Their upstairs seemed like an upscale academy, with upscale prices. Not as high as basspro, but the few items I looked at were higher than other stores within 3 miles from them. No pistols? WTF? The goon behind the counter was very uninterested in assisting me in any way, not even an "I'll be with you in a minute" as he spent several minutes doing his inventory. Half of the long guns were not tagged even close to what they wer- example was several shotguns had long rifle tags on them of a different brand. I had to interrupt him to ask to see what I was there for and he did not seem to like the idea of being bothered. Now keep in mind, this was mid day, I was the only shopper upstairs and there may have been 2 downstairs.
    Is this the norm there?

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    from what ive seen, yes, thats about how that place is. Ive bought some ammo they had on sale, and a sling that was the longest i could find locally for an average price. But there is generally no one in the gun area.

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    A Dick's Sporting Goods just opened here in Monroe. They don't sell pistols, and wait for it... NO .22 LR AMMO. The shelf was slammed full of ammuntion in a very small amount of calibers. No .22 ammo, and other ammo they have is overpriced.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Hell at least they have guns at yours the one in Metairie has recreational stuff only nothing for guns at all. So unless you play a sport,fish, or run going there is a lost cause..

They have some fishing stuff at the one near me but its about as much as walmart has to offer.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Troy defense 5.56 carbine is one. I bought one on tax free day, it's a hell of a lot of gun for the price, especially if you sign up for their card.

I think they also have an exclusive beretta 391 urika 2 "silver".

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I have been to the Dick's in Metairie and BR. It is hard to explain how I felt upon leaving. Unimpressed is not really the right word. I got the feeling that they were trying to appeal to the "gentleman hunter". You know the guy who goes once a year just to say he "hunts" but is not really a hunter. Years ago there was another chain down here. Cullum and Boren left me with the same feeling-but they sold handguns.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    The one in Monroe is overpriced as hell. The same brand, model, and UPC code of many items at Dicks cost 1.5-2x what it does at Academy which is about 8-9 minutes away.

A certain battery powered fan is $4.99 at Home Depot, $5.99 at Academy, and $9.99 at Dicks.

The kids Spiderman fishing rod is $9.99 at Academy and $14.99 at Dicks.

The mens bicycles at Dicks START at $159 and those are hung out of reach; the only ones you can actually examine start around $250. Academy start their mens bikes at $99, with the occasional lower sale price, and a dozen choices for less than that $159 that Dicks starts out at.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I've been in the BR store a couple of times, like the OP I was not impressed by selection or service. Barring some incredible sale, I probably won't be back/

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Hell at least they have guns at yours the one in Metairie has recreational stuff only nothing for guns at all. So unless you play a sport,fish, or run going there is a lost cause..
    They have some fishing stuff at the one near me but its about as much as walmart has to offer.

You give them too much credit! Even their fishing stuff sucks. I asked for a mantle for my coleman lantern and they looked at me like I had 3 heads...

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Dick's is very anemic in their selection without saying anything about their prices. I went there (in Baton Rouge) a couple of years ago and was very disappointed, never been back.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Add me in with the unimpressed crowd...
    I've been to the one in Oshkish, WI, as well as the one here, and they were both ridiculously overpriced, and had snobby service.
    I honestly can't fathom what keeps the doors open with the attitude and lack of customer service.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    You'll like this.

Three years ago the Dick's near me had a door buster price on Remington 9MM for $6.89. This was before the run on ammo, I went and bought 1500rds and asked for more, they were out but let me get a rain check for 5000rds, over the course of several months, I kept loading up and re-using my raincheck to their loss, by the seventh month ammo jumped to $10.00 a box of 50.

Two years later, prices went through the roof, and my friends shooting league got a bunch of Remington ammo from me for a great price.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Well I've been needing some new small gun cleaning brushes and I use the Otis 3 pack with one white nylon, one blue nylon and one bronze brush.Never thought to look at Dick's until reading this thread and wouldn't ya know...Dick's has the best price...so long as they're in stock at my local store. If not it's back to good 'ol Amazon.com and free shipping.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Well..update on the aforementioned cleaning brushes...Dick's didn't have them in stock. So after spending 3.59 in gas, who knows how much wear and tear on my vehicle and you don't want to know how much lost income trying to save a buck I decided that I wanted those damn brushes NOW.
    So I did the unthinkable.....yes...I did what I swore I'd never do again....I spent money at Jim's Firearms.

Top Bottom