digital scales

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bcomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Im wanting to purchase a digital scale to measure my powder in grains. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with a scale that is fairly accurate.

Thanks, Bobby

Cajun Chooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    So Louisiana
    buy a good quality scale, you get what you pay for........ my recommendation -- RCBS Chargemaster 1500 .. I bought several scales before buying a RCBS (gem pro , dillion) .. should have bought the latter first and saved some $$$$

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have a Dillon D-Terminator and a Redding beam scale. If I doubt one then I check against the other They are usually spot on but there have been times I needed to re-zero the Dillon in order to agree with the beam scale.

gcpatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    I'm going to get a GemPro 250. Have read elsewhere that whereas the Dillon digital scales formerly were very good, they're made now by a different and cheaper manufacturer and not quite of the quality they used to be.

Cajun Chooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    So Louisiana
    I had a Gem Pro 250.. and got rid of it because of inaccuracy... put 5.0 gr in on the scale... let it sit for 30 seconds and it will start increasing.. 5.1 --- and about 30 seconds more it will be 5.2 and so on.. I sent it back ... they replaced it.. with another one that did the same thing......my RCBS Charge Master is spot on ... ALL THE TIME !

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Got rid of my beam back in mid-70s and dread ever having to go back. I used beams in all my chemistry labs in college, but EVERY lab I ever worked in was all digital--even when digitals were a fortune. I have NEVER had a problem with a digital and still have the Ainsworth I bought back in the mid-70s.
    I like the Lyman 1500 micro-touch. Wonderful little scale. Unlike my old 1500, it stays on, at least when running on A/C.
    There is nothing in reloading that requires more than +/-0.1gn, so all the scales are more than adequate.
    Once you get a ChargeMaster though, you'll never go back. I like the fact that if the dispenser goes out, I still have a functioning scale until I get a new dispensing unit and if the scale goes out, I can "simply" buy a new scale. All-in-one means it all works or it all doesn't work.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I had a Gem Pro 250.. and got rid of it because of inaccuracy... put 5.0 gr in on the scale... let it sit for 30 seconds and it will start increasing.. 5.1 --- and about 30 seconds more it will be 5.2 and so on.. I sent it back ... they replaced it.. with another one that did the same thing......my RCBS Charge Master is spot on ... ALL THE TIME !

I use my gempro to trickle on after throwing charges 0.1 short on both my charge masters. I calibrate the charge masters regularly and they are never spot on.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    There is nothing in reloading that requires more than +/-0.1gn, so all the scales are more than adequate.

You have never competed in 600y + rifle competitions have you?

There is value having a scale that is more accurate than 0.1 gr if you do the shooting that some of us do.

Last edited:

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Lol.
    As you know, some F open weigh brass and primers. I am not that bad off. Yet....

Lol, Mickey, that is standard practice for most bench rest shooters. Hell, my dad use to reload at a match for conditions.

Top Bottom