Dillon 550 throwing inconsistent powder charges.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So. I have just started reloading. Yesterday I tried out my first 28 loads. I followed the specs in the Lyman book on 9mm.

115gr FMJ, recommended starting charge 3.5grains of Bullseye powder.

I did that, fired it in a Glock 19. I had several double feeds, failures to extract, you name it. No problem, up the charge to 4.0 grains.

So I go to the Dillon and I tweak the thrower a little until I get it throwing a consistent 4.0 or 4.1 grains and start going to work. I'm eyeing the casing making sure they don't look too full and taking measurements every now and then.

The problem. At least 3 times in the 40 some odd rounds I loaded in the last 20 minutes, there was no charge at all thrown.

At least 5 times I would measure the charge and it would be as low as 3.3 grains or as high as 4.4 grains. According to the book, 4.4 is well within the safe zone but it's annoying because how am I supposed to figure out what my gun likes if the press is not throwing a consistent charge?

Does anyone else have these problems? Am I doing something wrong? Should I give dillon a call? Is this the nature of the beast?

Last edited:

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I just did 5 throws and measured each one.

3.5, 3.8, a no throw (so I did an extra), 4.3, 3.5, 4.0

I'm new, like I've said, but it seems to me that this shouldn't be happening.....

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Are you being consistent & smooth in your movements while working the press?
    If you operate the press with jerky motions, you'll get varying charge weights.
    I don't see why you wouldn't have dropped a charge. Strange.
    Calling Dillon wouldn't hurt, nor cost you anything.

Art

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Never had that happen with my 550RL in thousands of rounds loaded. Visually inspect the thrower for cobwebs, do-do or other obstructions. If it is nothing obvious, call Dillon Customer Support.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok, so I just did a little experiment. I thought about it for a while and when I first calibrated the press to throw 3.5, it was consistent. I thought back to what I did to calibrate it: I threw like 3 that were consistent 3.5. I then threw 10 in a row and tossed them back in the hopper then measured 5 more throws. All 3.5.

I decided to try throwing 30 charges then measure 5 after that 30. I also zeroed out my scale each measurement and verified it with a calibration weight.

I got 4.0/4.1, 4.3, 3.8 that crept up to 4.3 after I stared at if for a minute, 4.3, 4.3,

Those numbers made me much more confident than the original 5. Consider it fixed?

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Maybe so.
    When I set up, I just dump about the first five loads back into the hopper. I do this to let the powder settle.
    Then I get my weight set & check my first 5 cases.
    Then I'll load about 25 rounds & check the charge weight. Then I measure it about every 25th round.

Art

Last edited:

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    I agree with Barney. Check your scale. If it is electronic, turn off all air movement. A/C, fan, etc.....I have had this problem before and every time it was the scale. Allow warm up time, practice your style of throwing. I doubt it is the powder measure.

Last edited:

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I agree with Barney. Check your scale. If it is electronic, turn off all air movement. A/C, fan, etc.....I have had this problem before and every time it was the scale. Allow warm up time, practice your style of throwing. I doubt it is the powder measure.

I've had this problem as well, it turned out to be that every time the A/C would turn on, the air would bounce off the eve of the ceiling and blow down on my scale giving a false reading.

If you keep having problems, I'll bite the bullet and just let you give it to me and I'll deal with it!! :biglaugh::D

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Also check your fail safe rod. Try tightening the wing nut a little more to get more compression on the spring. And make sure you've installed it properly. When I first started using the 550 I had the same problems your describing and I found that the powder measure wasn't closing all the way. Taking a few more turns on that nut solved the problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom