Dillon 550

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    For a long time I have been using a lee single stage O frame press. I am shooting a lot more now and feel like I need to step up production a little. I have a line on a used Dillon 550. Who has used this machine, and what do you think about it? I will be using it mostly for .45 ACP and .380.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Do a search for dillon threads on here and you'll find that the majority of us that reload use Dillon presses. The 550b is a great machine.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    If you are just doing bulk pistol and unless the 550 is under $300 just get the square deal b, it's a great press for pistol ammo.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Stick with the RL-550, you will happier in the long run. Buying new, it would be different. The RL-550 uses standard dies and will load more calibers. The Square Deal only loads some pistol calibers and does not take standard dies. If the machine is on good shape and the price is not a problem, go with the RL-550, you won't be disappointed.

Beauxdog

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I own 3) 550s and would own a 4th if I had the room on my bench. One feature that I think is great for a (progressive) beginner is that is does not auto index. You can learn one stage at a time, get the feel for it, move to the next, and then combine them all when ready. When you get to that point, you can load lots of ammo.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i agree with Buzzworm, due to it not auto indexing the RL-550b kind of acts like a Turret or Single stage press. you move on to the next stage when you want to. i like the fact that i can test my powder charges without having the plate index. setting up the RL-550 is a snap and the conversion kits are cheap relative to the xl650 kits. it was my first press and i am happy it is.

but if you're loading for precision rifle, i would still probably get a single stage. there may be very slight play with the toolhead and the shell plate on any Dillon and that's not ok for some people.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I got a Hornady Lock n load AP when I upgraded from a Lee turret press. It's a good machine. IMO slightly better than a 550 because it auto indexes. The quality isn't as good, I've had to order warranty parts on 2 different occasions in the year or so I've had it, but for under $500 I can't really recommend it enough. Just be aware you Will be doing some trouble shooting and press repair when you screw up and break something.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I purchased a 550 a couple of months ago. I could not be happier. At the moment, all I have it set up for is loading .40 S&W but I eventually plan on getting dies for multiple handgun calibers and for .223 rem. I've used a couple different progressive presses over the years, I had a lee, a rcbs Pro 2000 and now the dillon. The 550 is by far the best that Ive used.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Yea the final price will be what makes or breaks the deal. The guy got it along with a lot of other stuff after an older man died. He will clean it up and see how it works, then give me a price. I will decide wheather to take it or leave it. I will go a little higher but I always start low, and see what he says. If I pass on it I will ask him if he minds if I put it out there for you guys.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Yea the final price will be what makes or breaks the deal. The guy got it along with a lot of other stuff after an older man died. He will clean it up and see how it works, then give me a price. I will decide wheather to take it or leave it. I will go a little higher but I always start low, and see what he says. If I pass on it I will ask him if he minds if I put it out there for you guys.

I called first dibs! ;)

Top Bottom