Discussion: HK P7 owners where yat?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Well today was a good day. I managed to scoop up a Heckler & Koch P7M8 from a fellow BSer in a trade. Its a German police trade in and it has the old nasty plum colored slide and mill mark where the insignia was removed. I wanted to see what you guys P7 pistols look like. I'm planning on getting the slide refinished, possibly the frame too. I really like the Ford's refinishing in hard chrome and Robar NP3. Which would you go with and Why?

Check out some pics of refinished P7s:

http://lundestudio.com/hks.html#hkp7psphc
    p7m8-left-full-hi.jpg

p7m8-hc-nill-left-full-hi.jpg

1604943_10151858278706891_1689169012_n.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

reverse two tone
    IMG_0212.jpg

Heres a fords refinish and restamping example:
    gun18_1.JPG

gun18_2.JPG

Will refinishing take away from the monetary value of this handgun? I really like the two tone look with the Nill wood grips. I also like the all chrome with wood grips too, im torn at the moment to be honest.

Here's mine:
    1743669_10151860186176891_1375548964_n.jpg

1779157_10151860186561891_1555677465_n.jpg

1926793_10151860186856891_239613629_n.jpg

Heres a website with info on them too
    http://hkp7.com/index.htm

just wanted to see some guns/comments from the guys on BS.

Thanks! and lets see um.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Also concerning ammo, are there restrictions on what i shouldnt shoot other than what is explicitly stated in the owners manual? No machine gun surplus ammo, nothing less than 100gr, and no lead cast. Let me know if i left anything out.

Toork

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    I vote all hard chrome! My dad has a plumb colored one in 95% + condition. His, a refinish would definitely decrease the value. Yours, from the pics, looks pretty good. A better question to ask yourself is what do you intend to do with it. Are you gonna sell it? Carry it daily? Safe queen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toork

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    I vote all hard chrome! What do plan for this pistol? Resale? Carry? Safe queen? I believe answering those questions will help you make your decision.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Here is my first one, Virgil Tripp chrome job.
    I don't shoot +P in mine, YMMV. It was made for 124g European ammo, mine digests 115g and 147g just fine also.
    Go to Park Cities Tactical they are the reference standard on P7's.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubbthreads/

Thom B in very COLD Indiana

How much did the job cost? And what was the turn around?

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    was around $250 as I recall, they stopped doing finishes around 2009, darn it.
    Only gone a week or so.
    they were the best

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    I recently sold a P7M8. I senf it to Robar for the NP3 finish. Robar has monthly specials and often offers specials for NP3. It is worth the money to protect a unique and no longer made high quality firearm. NP3 is outstanding if you have not owned a NP3 finished firearm before. If you plan on shooting or carrying the gun a lot, NP3 is the way to go. Robar also has a new finish, poly T2, if I got it right. This new finish is more corrosion resistent.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I vote all hard chrome! My dad has a plumb colored one in 95% + condition. His, a refinish would definitely decrease the value. Yours, from the pics, looks pretty good. A better question to ask yourself is what do you intend to do with it. Are you gonna sell it? Carry it daily? Safe queen?

I would put mine in similar condition as well. I may carry it. Im not too sure yet. I dont plan on selling it as I've always wanted one of these. However, being that guns are investments I need to consider the value being effected due to refinishing just in case I were ever to get in a bind and had to sell it.

SigGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you plan on keeping it as a long term investment I would not refinish it. It would decrease the value of the gun... If you don't care about all that I like the chrome. FYI: My Dad had an old WWII 1911 refinished and it was appraised for less than when it had the rust on it.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    As everyone said above dont refinish unless you purely want to shoot it and enjoy as it for sure will lower the value. I would like to get one for simply what they are to me. A collector item. Personally I dont care for the look to much, but appreciate the gun as a whole. and I LOVE HK's

lowriderfxr

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Lake Charles
    Awesome! I think i like the more grey matte look of np3. Who finished yours? And its nib? Np3 was a factory finish option?

No, Robar finished. The man I got it from bought it new, (at Jim's actually ) and sent it to Robar for the NP3 and night sights. After that he never fired it and neither have I.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I would put mine in similar condition as well. I may carry it. Im not too sure yet. I dont plan on selling it as I've always wanted one of these. However, being that guns are investments I need to consider the value being effected due to refinishing just in case I were ever to get in a bind and had to sell it.

If that is your outlook you need to leave it, or have it done somewhere where it will enhance its value or desirability.
    Birdsong or Robar etc.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I still think that the P-7 is all time best "SAFE-Carry " when one has a family with little ones around.
    Its just a hard gun for a child to operate and accidentally shoot themselves or a friend.
    It is also a great carry gun which I am absolutely sure I will hit my target if the need occurred. A little heavy...but a great gun. With our climate...if I were to carry it, I would go with a hard chrome. But if I had an original...I'd leave it alone. These days...p7 is more of a safe queen for me.

Top Bottom