Does everyone use a deer stand?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I like my Ole Man climber but sometimes I like just walking them up and I have killed my biggest bucks this way. Just dont do it on the weekends, during the week days you wont see very many hunters.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    In most of the places I hunt I prefer to be off the ground at least a little. If I am hunting a management area you can guarantee I will be in my climber.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    I've hunted from homemade ground blinds, which pretty much constisted of the camo burlap from Wal-mart, my old man climber, shooting houses over food plots, ladder stands, stalking, and I hit one with my car back in '96. It all depends on where you hunt and the terrain. BUT I do prefer to be up a tree if I can so I can see more and have clearer shots.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've only shot four deer (I haven't been hunting long). I've gotten one from a stand in the open, one from a blind in a stand, one from a blind on the ground (folding chair, camo netting around two trees), and one from stalking.

Are there any other ways I'm missing?

I like both. Some days, I just want to relax and read. Some days I want to walk.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I've been hunting out of a climber a ladder stand and just a 3 legged chair this year. Climber is too heavy to pack in 1 mile along with a bow and bag of junk. Ladder stand is nice but facing the wrong direction and haven't moved it yet. Chair is nice but finding sufficient cover is proving a problem.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've only shot four deer (I haven't been hunting long). I've gotten one from a stand in the open, one from a blind in a stand, one from a blind on the ground (folding chair, camo netting around two trees), and one from stalking.

Are there any other ways I'm missing?

Claymore?

I always liked to hunt on the move... probably not as effective as tree stands but I enjoy it. I don't enjoy elevated ambushes.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    It depends on where im hunting. On my dads 250acres I have places where I use stands, places where im in ground blinds and then places where I just sit in the woods with my butt parked next to a nice tree.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    I hunt on the ground, mainly on hills and cliffs around Tunica.
    I don't use stands, they aren't all that comfortable, and limit movement too much for me.
    Last thing I need is to fall out of a tree and bust my ass.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Where I now hunt in Natchitoches parish, I hunt mostly from a mixture of elevated box stands, ladder stands, and climbers. I'm getting too old for the lock-on stands and gave those up several years ago. The dense ground cover on our lease prevents any chance of success if you stay on the ground. What few open areas we have are avoided by the deer in favor of the dense cover available. In fact if we didn't cut shooting lanes from our stands, shooting opportunities would be few indeed. So it depends where you hunt. You have to tailor your hunting strategy to your local conditions.

In past years I did enjoy stalking and have taken many deer this way. It is the most rewarding method as far as I'm concerned. But on my current lease, it's hard to be successful stalking when the two pieces of equipment required are your weapon of choice and a machete.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Claymore?

I'll have to try it next time! :rofl:

I hunt on the ground, mainly on hills and cliffs around Tunica.
    I don't use stands, they aren't all that comfortable, and limit movement too much for me.
    Last thing I need is to fall out of a tree and bust my ass.

At our camp, we have to provide 2 stands/blinds for community use. They do have some that are comfortable and safe if used properly.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I use a small fold out camo chair and seat between 3 trees if possible or one big one. I have used the 5 gallon seat as well. I also use Tripods, Buddy stands, and a portable folding ladder stand that I haul around on a deer cart when hunting public land. I also have a portable tripod with detachable pieces that weighs 40lbs and a climbing stand.
    Here lately I've been using the fold out chair and piece of camo net for a blind for the 2 deer shot this year.

I'm hunting hogs out of camo screened buddy stands at the hunting camp. SO far I have seen a big 300+ lb hog and several 100-150 lb hogs running around.
    I'm mixing up my special Hog Candy concoction consisting of cracked corn, water, grape koolaid, strawberry koolaid, red soda, mushed up persimmons and pears, and about a lb of sugar, set out to ripen for a week.
    I also use corn feeders and molasses and sweet feed. I see them around 5:30-6:00 and have to use binoculars to scan the area and I hunt until I can no longer make a shot with the crosshairs or 6PM whichever comes first.

Top Bottom