Done with Keltec never ever again.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm done with ‪#‎Kel‬-Tec for good.
    I will NEVER own another or buy one of their guns.
    I have a PF9 that is a complete POS will not feed anything other than ball, having problems with stovepipes even with factory ammo and now the mag catch is broken.
    All of these are known issues, the gun has been to #Kel-Tec more than once and is horribly unreliable and having huge customer service issues with #Kel-Tec on the phone.
    The kid answering the phone is rude and unhelpful.
    Even though the website states that if the gun was in for service before this will serve as proof of ownership.
    Tried to explain this to the kid on the phone and he insisted that I still had to have ORIGINAL sales receipt.
    Now they are going on vacation for 3 weeks and he literally said "oh well" when I tried to explain this was a personal protection firearm.
    Restating I AM DONE with ANY KELTEC product.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    #Kel-Tec? It's just Kel-Tec.

Buy once, cry once. Kel-Tec isn't know for high quality firearms.

I have a PF9 that is a complete POS will not feed anything other than ball, having problems with stovepipes even with factory ammo and now the mag catch is broken.

What do you expect from a sub-$300 gun? BTW, I had a PF9 that ate anything I put through it, so you may have received a clunker.

All of these are known issues, the gun has been to #Kel-Tec more than once and is horribly unreliable and having huge customer service issues with #Kel-Tec on the phone. The kid answering the phone is rude and unhelpful. Even though the website states that if the gun was in for service before this will serve as proof of ownership. Tried to explain this to the kid on the phone and he insisted that I still had to have ORIGINAL sales receipt.
    Now they are going on vacation for 3 weeks and he literally said "oh well" when I tried to explain this was a personal protection firearm.

I find it hard to believe that you've sent it to Kel-Tec multiple times and have dealt with the same "kid" each time.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Lifetime Wareanty usually means a lifetime of problems. I think kel tec and hi pirnt have their places but just not in the primary weapon setting. That's just my opinion so please don't take it to heart. Stay with Glock, sig, smith, HK if you will be depending on it to defend your life if need be.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    All of these are known issues, the gun has been to #Kel-Tec more than once and is horribly unreliable and having huge customer service issues with #Kel-Tec on the phone.
    The kid answering the phone is rude and unhelpful.
    Even though the website states that if the gun was in for service before this will serve as proof of ownership.
    Tried to explain this to the kid on the phone and he insisted that I still had to have ORIGINAL sales receipt.

I know the feeling.

I had a Ruger P91DC that I had feed issues with. Every round would not feed properly. I tried all different bullet types, no change. All new magazines, no change, doggone thing just would not feed properly.

I sent it off to Ruger, they returned it with a replaced barrel, after having it for almost a year. (about 10 months, not exaggerating.)
    Went to the wood, popped in a mag, racked the slide, and the doggone thing wouldn't feed.
    Traded it on my first Glock and haven't looked back. Other than my 10/22, I won't have another Ruger, and I won't replace or fix the 10/22 if it fails.

If you have no faith in a company, or a product, don't buy it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They are essentially disposable guns. I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that is a kick in the ass to play with. Everyone that shoots it likes it. But as for a reliable "stake my life on it" weapon? No!

In fact, it is a perfect gun to stick under the seat of a truck for if ever you find yourself in a "Reginald Denny!" In that scenario, you should mow them down with your vehicle first! If your vehicle gets stuck because they are piled up under it, then you jump out with the K-T Sub, your "primary", and your knife of last resort!

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have never understood how people trust their life to a subpar firearm. Buy a real gun, why buy a lower tier weapon that if you ever need it has a pretty good chance of failure?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have never understood how people trust their life to a subpar firearm. Buy a real gun, why buy a lower tier weapon that if you ever need it has a pretty good chance of failure?

Cost! Some people truly can't afford a $5 or 6 hundred dollar gun. I know people that have "no gun" at all, because they are broke. Enter cheap guns.

In those instances, anything is better than nothing at all. Even if it failed, you could at least throw it at your attacker! :p

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I have a pf9 and a sub2kg2. I also have a G19 among assorted rifles and shotguns. I feel comfortable carrying my pf9, I've never had an issue.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Good for you! Full disclosure, I've been "Done with Keltec" ever since the first time I handled one of their POS weapons at a gunshow years ago. LOL

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    They are essentially disposable guns. I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that is a kick in the ass to play with. Everyone that shoots it likes it. But as for a reliable "stake my life on it" weapon? No!

In fact, it is a perfect gun to stick under the seat of a truck for if ever you find yourself in a "Reginald Denny!" In that scenario, you should mow them down with your vehicle first! If your vehicle gets stuck because they are piled up under it, then you jump out with the K-T Sub, your "primary", and your knife of last resort!

PF9 goes for about 330 while you can buy a shield or lc9 for about 350-370. These aren't amazing guns, but they definitelyhave a better reputation and are 20 bucks more.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    ANY, I mean A N Y manufacturer can put out a p.o.s. from time to time.

Im no keltec fan boy, but I have owned a few and still own one. I've shot multiple different keltec models, rifles and pistols.
    My experiences have been mostly positive. The few negatives I've seen are mostly cosmetic or ergonomic, not mechanical.

I've heard the pf9 is one of the more problematic models. But like bravo said, there are better options in the same price range.

I personally don't trust any firearm to just be reliable due to brand or reputation. Any gun I trust my life with has to prove itself to me. I don't count shooting two boxes of FMJ one time at the range either. But if the gun has been to the range couple dozen times and has seen AT LEAST 500 trouble free rounds, including a heavy variety of personal protection ammo. I'll trust it regardless of how inexpensive it was, or what's stamped or etched into the weapon.

Anger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    Ruston, LA
    my P3AT ran like a champ but I hated the trigger. Sold it, got a Sig P238. My sample of the black/hard chrome PF9 was a jam-o-matic. Constant stovepipes and failures to feed if I recall. Sold it at a loss with full disclosure rather than deal with the hassle of return. I'll stick to Kahr in that genre. More expensive, but every single one I've owned (seven so far) have all been spot on.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had two PF9's and both of mine ran like tops. Fed ball and federal HST's just fine. I think the older models had plastic mag catch hence your issues. That's been fixed. The only reason I sold the two I had was because I replaced them with 2 shields.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I have a pf9 that didn't function at first. It went back to KT 2 times and came back working flawlessly finally. Customer service was top notch for me. Just my experience.

Although I have switched to a Kahr as my carry weapon now.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A few weeks ago I had a problem chambering my P3AT. The rim wedged under the extractor and the nose of the round wedged on the top of the chamber. My wife was next to me at the time and told me to 'toss that POS and buy something better!'. :) Still debating shield vs SR9c vs springfield. The KT will get put away, unless I get a really good offer on it!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yep. I've owned an STI that never was quite reliable even after being sent back 3 times, and I have a Taurus TCP that has never hiccupped.

A TAURUS without issues?! IMPOSSIBLE! hahah, I'm not going to lie, I'm not the biggest fan of taurus, but at the same time, some people talk about them like they self detonate.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    You would think that with all of the practice KT customer service gets, they'd be better at it.

I like KT's innovating products, but don't plan on owning any of them.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I use a PF9 in a training environment and the one currently in use has 4600+ rounds through it, mostly the least expensive for punching holes in paper. After 2 months use it went to Kel-Tec for a trigger problem when the design was new. It was returned within 12 days with a NEW lower rather than just a new one as I had had the slide refinished with Tuff-Gun. I am still using it currently for training and have not had any problems with it at all. An inexpensive concealable pistol with that kind of round count is a decent buy to me. I have an older P-11 that has a longer history and higher round count and it is still humming along.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom