Downside to tacticooling an sks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Are there any real issues with tacticooling an sks as long as it's kept 922r compliant? I'm planning on a tapco collapsable stock, with tapco 20-30rd mags. Does this hurt the function of this rugged Russain rifle?

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I've seen some reliability issues with some of the aftermarket mags. If its just a plinking toy then they are easy to deal with but for anything more I would stick with the stock 10 rounders personally. I've never heard of any issues with the aftermarket stocks though.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Thats all I really want is a toy. I've got a stock paratrooper that is beautiful that "technically" belongs to my wife. I saw where JG Sales had some chinese trade ins that were pretty rough but they seemed like a good one to rig up with gear.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    With a SKS it's called "Bubbaing".
    A Bubbaed SKS has little value, so keep the parts to return to original in case you ever want to sell it.

I have 2 that I bought already Bubbaed.
    Magazines are the only issue I have had. Some don't work very well.
    On one gun the mag kept falling out every 2-3 shots. The same mag worked fine in the other gun.
    I got some Tapco 20 rd plastic mags and they seem to work fine.

YMMV

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Not to mention how silly they look decked out in plastic.

How is this not cool looking to you?
    49801.jpg

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    want to buy the monte carlo stock that I unbubba'd from the rifle I bought? I suppose it looks tacticool if you want to be a russian mall ninja. lol. but seriously, its taking up space.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Are there any real issues with tacticooling an sks as long as it's kept 922r compliant? I'm planning on a tapco collapsable stock, with tapco 20-30rd mags. Does this hurt the function of this rugged Russain rifle?

There is no downside to an SKS, other than not being full auto, or as accurate as an AR. Tacticool the hell out of it all you want. I'm going to do mine up eventually also. I've been using the aftermarket 30 rd magazine for many years.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I recently traded for one with a bullpup stock. I love it. I have an original as well. Its an interesting gun to say the least. I wouldnt have done the change myself as I probably would have screwed it up, but I love it.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I recently traded for one with a bullpup stock. I love it. I have an original as well. Its an interesting gun to say the least. I wouldnt have done the change myself as I probably would have screwed it up, but I love it.

I love the looks of a bullpup, but I shoot left handed and getting hot brass thrown into my ear is not optimal :)

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Your rifle, your world imo.

Do you really care what we think about "your" tacticool SKS? I wouldn't. If you think the accessory will help you, or just like, then do a Nike and just do it. I would stay away from extended mags in SKS's like the plague though if you're ever going to use it for social work. Just not any type of successful track record, and I'd agree with that X2 if I was using it on a perhaps angry wild hog. NOT the time to drop a mag.

I get the same crap about "tacticool" AK's. EF em. :) Supprised no one has posted that tired old Mao pic with "Keep Your Crap Off My SKS" yet. But in this case, it's YOUR SKS. Rails, optics, whatever. Particularly if you, as you say, just want a loud toy. More power to ya Brah.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom