DPMS 308 or SPRINGFIELD M1A?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdlafleur28

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Maurice
    JUst looking for opinions on my new project from every one. Thinking of a AR platform 308 or a Springfield M1. Any help is appreciated thanks in advace

G19MAG

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Bossier City
    I have shot and owned a few 308 semi and 308 bolt action rifles. The DPMS 308 was one of them. It shoots great and like Barney posted it is easier to mount optics. However, the M1A looks so much cooler. Weight wise they are about equal. Accuracy wise, between the two I would have to go with the M1A if it's a national match. However, if you get the DPMS LR308 with bull barell they would be equal in my opinion. Another thing I would consider is accessories. They both have a plethora of accessories just depends on the look you want. Can have an M1A with Sage and a few bells and whisltes for $2500 and up or a decked out DPMS with Magpul Precision stock, Quadrail, and extra mags for under $2000 looked in the used sections in many of the forums to get great deals on AR stuff.

If you want durability and reliability of an AK platform, you can go with the Saiga 308. Easily converted into a GSR, will eat any ammo you put into it and it's hard to break. Full conversion with all the accesories are under $1000.

I would also recommend looking into a PTR and FAL - $1500- $2000. Again two more great 308 semi's to look at, and of course there is always the SCAR 17 - $2500-$3000. Despite the mag situation, she is still the prom queen of 308's IMHO. Light recoil, overall light gun, and low maintenance.

Sorry for adding more questions to your original post. Just wanted to suggest a few more options.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I used to have a Socom 16, I still have an Armalite.

I know the feeling. I use to own an M1A Standard, Socom 16, Armalite AR-10 and PTR91. Now I have two FALs and could not be happier.

I really did like the M1A's. They were my dream guns at the time and they were fun but they lacked a lot of features that I didnt think I would miss, but did. Hated the safety and the location of the charging handle.

The Armalite was nice but mine was finicky with ammo. Mounting whatever you wanted on it was easy.

The PTR91 was a solid rifle but when it came to ergos it just flat out SUCKED! You need gorilla arms and monkey fingers to operate it without seriously changing your grip/firing position.

Now, the FAL's....pure perfection in my humble opinion. So far they have shot everything I've put through them (and I have some pretty nasty surplus ammo laying around). Putting a scope/dot is pretty easy with the addition of a railed top cover. You can put a railed forend on them if you want lights/verticle grip, etc. The iron sights are good on my STG58 and pretty much perfect on my Para (A2 rear sight option). Ergos are great. Thumb safety is easy to manipulate without changing your grip. Charging handle is on the left side. Stock pistol grip some people hate but that's an easy fix. I have both styles and I dont mind either one really. The only draw back is they are not sub MOA rifles. 2-3 MOA is about normal, but it's a battle rifle. For sub MOA I'd get a bolt over a semi auto any day.

jdlafleur28

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Maurice
    Thanks for the info guys I have been leaning towards the AR platform simply for the cost I can have one rigged out before I even leave the store with a M1A

Top Bottom