Draining standing water

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Any of you natives have some suggestions on how to drain water from my yard? No grade really to speak of. It sits between my neighbor's house and mine and due to the proximity is in the shade almost 100% of the time.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    River sand fill will displace it and allow it to drain. My yard is very soft. Pre-Katrina we brought in several loads. It worked well for me.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Any of you natives have some suggestions on how to drain water from my yard? No grade really to speak of. It sits between my neighbor's house and mine and due to the proximity is in the shade almost 100% of the time.

Spread river silt to raise the level of that area. French drains can be ran if you have some place lower to drain the water. River silt would be the easiest and cheapest.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Do an internet search for French Drain .

Spread river silt to raise the level of that area. French drains can be ran if you have some place lower to drain the water. River silt would be the easiest and cheapest.

Yeah. I could do the French drain but it would have to go about 120feet through the backyard which does have a grade to it.

River silt sounds like the plan. Thank you, gentlemen.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Spend $40-$50 half-a-day rental fee on a walk behind ditch witch. Run 4"-6" deep "trench" along the property line and out of the walking path. You'd be surprised the difference something that small may or not make.
    If it doesn't work out, it's only $40 or so on top of the cost of silt, as well as the hassle of grading it out.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    A picture = 1000 words right?

2f770919431815250a805ab1b29bcffc_zps3e015c43.jpg

69963392b53c24d7e52c6a7833aa1e09_zps92c325ea.jpg

Can't get the lawn mower in there it's so soggy. From the water spout towards me is about 1+" standing water.

Dug the holes and let them fill. Pulled out around 40 gallons. Still looks like I didn't do anything. If it rains, this was an exercise in futility but it is the only time I have for it this week unless I take a day of work off.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Do you and your neighbor have gutters on the house? If so, the drain can be directed away from the house with a flexible extension. It looks like you and your neighbor funnel the water from your roofs. A swale is looking good from the pictures.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Neither of us have gutters.

Get gutters, and run an extension out and away from the area towards the front yard. They make a popup drain that will allow the water to come up out of your drainage system.

If that makes sense?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    You have a grade , it's just going the wrong way I can see from your pic your front yard is higher than your low spot in between you houses, you have two options, scrape down the front yard with a tractor and drag the dirt to the low area, or haul in riversilt and spread it in the low area. Just curious, is there drainage in the backyard, how does it drain? The street/ storm sewer drains the front
    Also , that's a lot of water , make sure there is no leaking sewage line there

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Do both the french drain and the fill. A few bags of rail road rocks where you want the water to drain then cover in fill dirt. Then lay some fresh sod on top. Don't fill higher than the top of your slab (termites!).

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    You have a grade , it's just going the wrong way I can see from your pic your front yard is higher than your low spot in between you houses, you have two options, scrape down the front yard with a tractor and drag the dirt to the low area, or haul in riversilt and spread it in the low area. Just curious, is there drainage in the backyard, how does it drain? The street/ storm sewer drains the front
    Also , that's a lot of water , make sure there is no leaking sewage line there

There's no sewage smell or anything. Other things to look for?

There is a creek behind the back yard. I'm going to have to go the river silt route, I'm sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom