Duck huntin'

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    It's steel....lol not bucksh...hmmm I mean lead...

Edit: got me curious so dove into my shot shells

Winchester xpert upland game/target

2 3/4 1oz 7 shot

Yep 7 shot

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Franchi I-12. Haven't tried many low brass with it. Pulled it out for trap last year with cheap target loads and it didn't cycle. Didn't mess with it much, just got out the pump.

I've always just used 3"

~Xenon

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Franchi I-12. Haven't tried many low brass with it. Pulled it out for trap last year with cheap target loads and it didn't cycle. Didn't mess with it much, just got out the pump.

I've always just used 3"

~Xenon

I've used Remy 1100's my entire life (until I found Beretta in Argentina), and low brass was always a problem unless I took them apart and scrubbed and cleaned the bejesus out of them. Even the tiniest of particles in the gas ports would hinder ejection and auto loading of low brass.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    The I12 is an inertia drive too. I think that plays a large part in it. The action is smooth and it was probably clean that day but the baby shells just didn't push the action all the way open

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hmm...My Browning Gold eats everything. Ditto for my 11-87....:dunno:

I haven't dove hunted with it in years, but my old 1100 20ga never had a problem with the old low-brass....Lord knows I scared many a dove with it in my youth.... :o:o

:dogkeke:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Franchi I-12. Haven't tried many low brass with it. Pulled it out for trap last year with cheap target loads and it didn't cycle.

The I-12 like other Inertia Drives have a HEFTY Recoil Spring. They do not like LowBrass Low Power Loads. Just a fact of life. I saw a poor chap last year ready to break his SBE II over his knee b/c it would not cycle Rem. Nitro Target Loads at a PAID Sporting Clays shoot. I told him, dude you've got a 3.5" Waterfowl Gun trying to shoot Low Power #8's. Aint' gunna happen.

I've used Remy 1100's my entire life (until I found Beretta in Argentina), and low brass was always a problem unless I took them apart and scrubbed and cleaned the bejesus out of them. Even the tiniest of particles in the gas ports would hinder ejection and auto loading of low brass.

Actually the Rem. 1100 problem wasn't found out until years later. It's not the filthiness of the gun/shells fired,
    it was the weakness of the Gas Ring assembly. If not changed every few thousand shells, they would begin to FTL Low Power loads.

The sets they sell now are better made and last thousands more shells.
    Cost $25 from Midway

If you put these three items in ANY older Rem. 1100. It will run substantially better.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...embly-1100-11-87-12-gauge-new-style-post-1986
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...ington-1100-11-87-12-16-20-gauge-rubber-black
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ngton-870-1100-11-87-12-16-gauge-blaze-orange

I did that to 72' Model and it runs like a charm. Shot a 100 shell brick of those Cheap Wal-mart Winchesters through it without a single failure. That Rem. 1100 with the 30" barrel is Sweet Shooter.

...but with these parts installed ;)

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I figured that was the case. That's why I didn't mess with it and swapped out to a pump. I can accept that fact of life since she does everything else I need her to do.

Would be nice to get the practice in on the gun I will actually shoot. So I'll just buy higher power loads for target practice and rub some Ben- Gay on my shoulder

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The I-12 like other Inertia Drives have a HEFTY Recoil Spring. They do not like LowBrass Low Power Loads. Just a fact of life. I saw a poor chap last year ready to break his SBE II over his knee b/c it would not cycle Rem. Nitro Target Loads at a PAID Sporting Clays shoot. I told him, dude you've got a 3.5" Waterfowl Gun trying to shoot Low Power #8's. Aint' gunna happen.

Actually the Rem. 1100 problem wasn't found out until years later. It's not the filthiness of the gun/shells fired,
    it was the weakness of the Gas Ring assembly. If not changed every few thousand shells, they would begin to FTL Low Power loads.

The sets they sell now are better made and last thousands more shells.
    Cost $25 from Midway

If you put these three items in ANY older Rem. 1100. It will run substantially better.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...embly-1100-11-87-12-gauge-new-style-post-1986
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...ington-1100-11-87-12-16-20-gauge-rubber-black
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ngton-870-1100-11-87-12-16-gauge-blaze-orange

I did that to 72' Model and it runs like a charm. Shot a 100 shell brick of those Cheap Wal-mart Winchesters through it without a single failure. That Rem. 1100 with the 30" barrel is Sweet Shooter.

...but with these parts installed ;)

Interesting! I do still love using them too! There ain't a better gun for shooting bunnies than a 20 gauge Lt 1100; well maybe a .410 1100!

Good research about gun stuff! You trying to suck up to JR? :D

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Would be nice to get the practice in on the gun I will actually shoot.

Then you'll have to go High-End Gas ;) .... like I did.

Good research about gun stuff! You trying to suck up to JR? :D

I think I've always been thorough, with that in which I actually KNOW.

I just got sucked into the OFF TOPIC/Current Events drain hole for a long time
    b/c work was REALLY slow :hs: and I was bored.

Now, I'm trying to avoid the Off Topic Thread like the plague! :mamoru:

..and do my part to speak about more Firearms/Sportsman stuff.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I just got sucked into the OFF TOPIC/Current Events drain hole for a long time
    b/c work was REALLY slow :hs: and I was bored.

Now, I'm trying to avoid the Off Topic Thread like the plague! :mamoru:

..and do my part to speak about more Firearms/Sportsman stuff.

Meh; the Off Topic Thread is like cheap toilet paper! You know its going to scratch your a-hole or your fingers might break through, but ya gotta do it! :mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom