Duck hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    www.saltycajun.com - good guys on there and knowledgable

I hunt swla and sweetlake area as well. Duck hunting is tougher to jump into today b/c of cost and land. But you can hunt the reserves and such but have to be set up. I know guys that hunt sabine reserve with a canoe and kill more than the cats with 100 billion horse power mud drives and such. Its all about experience. A guided hunt or something like that will get you in the right direction.

Also I know you already bought a 870 for "big" shells...I like 2 3/4" #6 shot...believe it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I know guys that hunt sabine reserve with a canoe and kill more than the cats with 100 billion horse power mud drives and such.
    Its all about experience.
    I like 2 3/4" #6 shot...believe it.

+1 on All of the above!

We used to do the whole run around with boats and decoys throughout Red River and other WMA's but man that's Hard Work.

I hear you on the #6's but I load #4 in the chamber and back up with 2's.

I hunt with guys who swear by 6's.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Man sabine reserve has taken a couple of years off my life lol...getting stuck up to your stomach in marsh mud and army crawling to the bank is no day in the park lol

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Also I know you already bought a 870 for "big" shells...I like 2 3/4" #6 shot...believe it.

+1 on All of the above!

We used to do the whole run around with boats and decoys throughout Red River and other WMA's but man that's Hard Work.

I hear you on the #6's but I load #4 in the chamber and back up with 2's.

I hunt with guys who swear by 6's.

Unless they have perfected heavier steel or some other metal that is approved, #6 steel just doesn't pull them down like 3" mag #4's. Teal all day, but high circling mallards or grays at the end of the season?

Now if you mean lead #6's; Hell yeah! :nono:

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Unless they have perfected heavier steel or some other metal that is approved, #6 steel just doesn't pull them down like 3" mag #4's. Teal all day, but high circling mallards or grays at the end of the season?

Now if you mean lead #6's; Hell yeah! :nono:

3" #4s is what I used to throw at them until I hunted with a guy that was shooting the #6 i wouldn't have believed it either. Guy was rocking ducks and being a good shot helps too;) But guys shooting 3 1/2" #2 etc is just crazy...and expensive!

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
    I bought the super mag because I am gonna use 3-1/2" on a helicopter hog hunt this year.
    The bateau is a 14' long and 3" across. It is an older boat for sure. I was gonna try to build a scissor blind but I found a good steel platform to haul out and place somewhere then just brush that. Will hold two hunter. Chairs. Gun and well a heater (: just gotta find a way to haul it out somewhere.
    I'm gonna try flat lake off the diversion canal this Sunday I hope. I would like someone to go with. Also my new 870 holds 4+1 2-3/4 I don't think that is legal... But it may be 3+1 3".

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    only 1 shell in the chamber and 2 in the mag....3 in the gun at all times...make sure your gun has a plug!!!

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    You can buy an el cheapo plug from wallyworld or online... or you can make your own with a stick or any straight piece of plastic/wood. They don't care what's in there as long as it won't hold a third shell in the mag

Plug at Midway

jailhouse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have never been duck hunting and would love to go. I don't have a place of my own unfortunately. I also don't have much money for a guided hunt. Would anyone on here like to take a newbie on a trip? I don't mind buying our shells. Pitching in on gas or anything else. I would just really like to go before the season is up.

look at Southern Duckmen Outfitters I went with them when I was new and I am a big fan. Capt. Joey will take care of you and answer all your questions.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You can make a plug out of a pencil. You can make a blind frame for your boat out of pvc and cover it with camo netting and then roll it up and tie it off when you need to paddle. Just don't use white pvc or you can paint it. I've had ducks land right beside the boat using camo netting that you can see through. If you get the hevishot shells you can use 9 shot for duck hunting. I've seen full choke patterns out of a 410 at 40 yards using #9 hevishot. 410's are fullchoke patterened at 30 yards with conventional lead shot. Don't be caught with lead shot when duck hunting. Personally I wouldn't use less than 7.5 shot.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well thanks guys. I didn't see anyone else has commented on this til now. Thanks xenon for the video and thanks for the guide reference. I will check it out.
    Thanks for the idea of the frame for my boat blind. I may have found a place to hunt that is a decent spot. If the ducks fly over or near it and it turns out to be a gold little spot I am going to build a drop blind on the bank where it meets the swamp. Thanks everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom