Dude was looking into my sisters' room at 2 am

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skhansa1559

Rating - 81.3%
    13   3   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hello everyone, I would like advice from a Law enforcement officer on a potential threat to my family.

I live in an apartment with my mother and sisters (ages 20, 18, 17). My father works in Texas and is here on the weekends. I work as a musician so I have to go on the road some friday/saturday nights. Last saturday night was one such night and my sisters told me something alarming when I returned . Apparently, they were hanging out their room around 2 am with the lights on. At 2:30 they shut the lights off and went to bed. There is a tree not 5 feet away from the window looking into their room. One of my sisters noticed that the blinds were slightly more open than they should be, and as she looked from her bed out the window she saw a guy sitting right there under the tree looking into their room. Apparently my sisters froze from the shock. After 15 minutes or so by their estimate, the guy left and they went to wake their parents. My dad stayed up the rest of the night and stepped outside a couple of times to look around. No one thought to call the police. When I came home sunday and heard about this, the first thing I did was inform the police and give them a description of the guy (white male in his 20s, short blonde hair, medium height and build). Clearly my sisters should have called the moment they saw the guy, so there wasn't much to be done when I called. The officer I spoke to told me to just be cautious and call instantly if I see him. Right now I'm up with an 870 and a 9mm ready to sweep the house every time our cat makes a noise.

I work late or away from home 2-3 nights a week on average. Our upstairs neighbors are 3 young college girls. Next door neighbor is a divorced father with two middle school aged children. He is armed, but he comes off as mild mannered to the casual observer. I am concerned that if this person has been observing the area and our habits, then he may be thinking that my home is a 'soft' target.

I was hoping to find someone on here with experience in a matter like this. My 3 basic questions are:

-Is it more likely that this person was a saturday night drunk or a psychopath?

-Should I talk to the neighbors about this or do you think it would be unnecessary alarm to them?

-I barricaded my sisters' window tonight with a dresser, because it is easily big enough to enter through. I'm considering not working tomorrow night. How do you balance 'paranoia' and going back to life as normal?

I may be overblowing this whole incident in the wake of the Mickey Shunick kidnapping, but I feel like this incident was a genuine cause for concern. I thank everyone in advance who can give me any advice.

WongBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Heflin, LA
    Get rid of the cat and get a pit bull. Cats aren't going to do much to stop an attacker. Lol

On a serious note, why not train your sisters in firearms safety and handling. Arm them with knowledge and a defense tool. If something is stolen that is no big deal as long as you have insurance. Of course, you wouldn't want it happening, but those things are less important than family. Teach them how to use a weapon properly so in the event that someone does break in the house, with the intention of doing harm to them, they can protect themselves. Sadly, you can't always be there to protect them.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You'd be amazed at how brazen criminals are. When my wife was younger, her home was broken into one night by a guy who was later convicted of raping a few girls. There was a State Police cruiser in the driveway, and he had no issue with that. When her dad got up, the guy fled without harming anyone, thankfully, and was later arrested and is spending the remainder of his life in jail. Take the family to the range, individually, and get them very comfortable with the firearms. Teach them that a firearm is lethal force, and leg shots aren't lethal, center mass is where you stop someone. Let them know that the person with no disregard is always willing to kill them, so they must be willing to reciprocate. Make them aware that the act of breaking in to your home is enough of a reason to kill, you dont have to wait until they are all the way through the door/window etc. Make sure they can identify their target, you say you work late nights playing music, so you come home at odd hours. Let them know via text or phone call or whatever when you're about to be home so it doesn't alarm them, while at the same time if they hear someone coming into the front door and you aren't supposed to be home for hours, they can properly react.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Call the police and make a report. We just worked a similar case. Long story short, the dude was caught. Depending on the set of circumstances of your situation he could be charged.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    In addition I'd add some physical deterrents to climbing that tree. Remove the branches that make it easy to climb. Plant some unfriendly plants around the bottom (holly bushes, yucca, thorny vines, etc. Hiding some straightened fish hooks or cow wire in the tree came to mind also...

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Given the crap going on in Lafayette right now, at the least I'd make a report and inform the neighbors...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'd cut down that tree, or at least cut the branches.

In addition I'd add some physical deterrents to climbing that tree. Remove the branches that make it easy to climb. Plant some unfriendly plants around the bottom (holly bushes, yucca, thorny vines, etc. Hiding some straightened fish hooks or cow wire in the tree came to mind also...

It wasn't George McFly. The peeper was UNDER the tree. :mamoru:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    You can put up exterior lighting (flood lights) around the house. Light the tree up especially well.

**EDIT** Sorry I realize it's an apartment. That's what I hate about apartments. No private property per say.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Get a big dog, teach the girls how to shoot and make sure they have quick access to firearms. Put a brace on the windows if your locks are really bad. Don't stay home from work man, just be more careful. I would tell all the neighbors and post some flyers around the apartments just so everyone will be looking.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Also not sure if your complex does this but some have a monthly meeting with all the tenants, I would def bring it up to everybody's attention so that more people can be aware of the situation.

It could be nothing or it could be something, as others mentioned I would make sure the area around that tree is as clean as possible and remove all low branches that he could use to hide, a great way to ensure there is nobody "hiding" behind the tree is to dilute some lime with water it will create a "white-paint" that is very affordable and wont hurt the tree (use a mask and gloves). Paint from the ground up to about 4 foot, at night its very easy to tell when something is in front of it since it will look like a dark shadow on the white tree.

I wouldnt miss work because of it but I would take safety measurements to ensure his fun time is harder to achieve.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Its probably just an ex BF or past buddy of one of your sisters.Your sisters seem to be close to 18,
    so this is just the beginning of fun times.Some one of that age would normally not be peeping.Normal
    peepers and pervys are 30-60.And don't be teaching no 18 yr old girls to shoot or arm them lol.you
    will end up paying more in fines from them freaking out and shooting at windows and trees in the middle
    of the night lol.If you believe it to not be a past BF,friend,etc,,then Id start looking into doing some
    zimmerman patrolling around 2am when you get home from gigs.I'm sure if there's one guy watching
    your sisters,theirs 20 more down the road.I know you feel protective towards your sisters,but people
    just don't sit outside apartment complexes looking in windows lol.They would be in jail ,because there
    are 1000s of people at apartment complexes watching day and night outside lol.Just be glad your in a
    small town unlike dallas or houston,where shots are fired about every 20 minutes and your ducking and
    waiting on the sound of helicopters and police cars to wind down :(..

Not sure why everyone keeps saying remove tree or tree limbs.HE CANT.He lives in an apartment complex.
    He cant cut limbs or do anything.It isn't his property,period.

Good luck !!!!!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Its probably just an ex BF or past buddy of one of your sisters.Your sisters seem to be close to 18,
    so this is just the beginning of fun times.Some one of that age would normally not be peeping.Normal
    peepers and pervys are 30-60.And don't be teaching no 18 yr old girls to shoot or arm them lol.you
    will end up paying more in fines from them freaking out and shooting at windows and trees in the middle
    of the night lol.If you believe it to not be a past BF,friend,etc,,then Id start looking into doing some
    zimmerman patrolling around 2am when you get home from gigs.I'm sure if there's one guy watching
    your sisters,theirs 20 more down the road.I know you feel protective towards your sisters,but people
    just don't sit outside apartment complexes looking in windows lol.They would be in jail ,because there
    are 1000s of people at apartment complexes watching day and night outside lol.Just be glad your in a
    small town unlike dallas or houston,where shots are fired about every 20 minutes and your ducking and

Not sure why everyone keeps saying remove tree or tree limbs.HE CANT.He lives in an apartment complex.

Good luck !!!!!

:eek3:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

Good luck !!!!!

The bolded portion is the only solid advice you have. The rest... Not so much.

A) college rape statistics
    http://drkathleenyoung.wordpress.co...cs-about-sexual-violence-on-college-campuses/

I'll give you the condensed version. One in four college students are assaulted. Over 80% of those cases are known perpetrators. Acquaintances (here would be your older demographic pool) account for a very small percentage.

B) and this one really pisses in my Cheerios. Who the hell are you to say that an 18 year old girl doesn't deserve to be shown how to accurately use a firearm for defense? Not teaching them leaves them ignorant and more likely to have a firearms related accident. It's acceptable to arm yourself, and learn about self defense but it's not for young adult women... Especially in light of recent events? That's repulsive.

C) have you seen the apartment complex he lives in? Do you know what it looks like? Are you aware of how the buildings are angled? I've been in and seen a complex with four apartment to each building. Situated against a wooded area, and unless other building residents (three other families) are awake and looking out their window, no. This guy may not be seen.

D) small towns are victimless societies where crime doesn't exist? Nice to know...

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    peeping%2Btom.jpg

I'd call the police right away to report it. Always always always close your blinds at dark.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom