Dum Things Hunters Tell Me

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Most of this deals with sighting in at the range but there is more.

1. I got me all kinds of 30-06 rounds here to hunt with just in case. (You want to zero your rifle with the same rounds you intend to hunt with. Any change in brand or bullet weight will change youur zero)

2. The gunsmith bore sighted my gun with a Laser 2 years ago, Im ready to go. (Not on your best day, I never trust a bore sight with a laser, only range testing will give you a true zero, your lucky if it gets you on paper.)

3. I dont need a chair Ill just lean across the bench and sight in. (Known as the Ft Polk butt crack shooters, this bunch never listens to anybody. You need to learn good bench rest tech before you start wasting expensive ammo.)

4. What are those little knobs on the scope for? (there are a lot of people that think attaching a scope to a rifle is all you have to do)

5. My grandpa showed me to do it this way. (Well that means for the last three generations your family werent very good shooters. If a range master offers you some help listen.)

6. It aint sportin to use a scope. (Well you probabley cant hit anything with iron sights either. But I have heard that one a few times.)

7. I zero in for three inches high at 100 yards. (Well thats good for Dall Sheep hunting in Alaska, but it is doubtfull you will even see a deer further than 200 yards in Louisiana.)

8. I heard now I can hunt hogs at night. (Yea well the hearsay gets a lot of guys in trouble because the dont read and comprehend the game laws, there are always specifics that need to be understood.)

9. We have a 500 yard ram target that everbody shoots at. They will burn up $100 worth of rounds doing that and never get sighted in for deer hunting.

10. I shot a deer 5 times last year and it got away. (He most likely never hit the deer at all.)

11. I never wear hunter orange in the deer woods. (Now that really is stupid)
    12. We usally quit drinking in the hunting camp about 3:00 AM and hit the woods before daylight. (Yea right)

Got any more dum hunter comments. I have always said stupid things done in the field is just nature canceling out the weak links, however sometimes they do listen and learn.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    How bout if ya can hit a Prestone jug at 50 yards, its good enough
    Every year , just before hunting season , I get a big laugh at all of the Elmer Fudd's that come out to Sherburne to " sight in " their deer rifles . You can recognize them as soon as they get out of their truck . They have a rifle , a 20 rd box of ammo , and a white paper plate . No hearing protection , no means of attaching the plate to the target backstop , and NO CLUE how the firing line operates . They have this WTF look in their eyes , trying to figure out how they are going to put up their target while everybody is shooting . :D

I try to be the guy that helps them out with a staplegun , foam earplugs and tell them to wait until we all go downrange . Most of them are very appreciative . One year we had this one guy that wouldn't quit screwing with his rifle while people were going downrange . He left it on the sandbag and was fiddling with the scope . I asked him twice to at least back away from his rifle until folks came back to the firing line . He got pissed and argued , saying it " wasn't loaded " . Some big dude finally threatened to beat his ass and he got the message .

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    It's the long shot stories that I love. One particular dipshit was running his lie-hole about a 1000 yard kill shot. I asked what caliber and weight bullet he used, twist, and what his bullet drop was at that distance. His response was, "I ugh, I ugh, I ugh, I ugh, I ugh, I ugh, I ugh...."

Digger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My brother in law says that only a .338 Mag. and a 45-70 are about the only rifles to use on deer and told me a while back that a .243 goes so fast through a deer that it doesn't know it has been hit and then gets away.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Im considering quitting my lease because of this. The guys are more concerned with making it a drinking camp than a hunting camp.

You must share a lease with my buddies. I'm not a hunter, but I hear stories of their "hunting trips". They usually kill more time than anything from what I hear.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I was told the two things you will never be able to do in Louisiana is legalize the crossbow and get them to stop drinking and hunting. The crossbow was easy, however I decided not to persue the drinking issue as this is the best way to cancel out slob hunters from the human race they just kill themselves off...all part of natural selection.

Now for the ultimate dumb statement....A man asked me how his son got killed in a duck blind. So I asked how it happened ...well one was sitting down to shoot the other standing, of course the one standing got shot.....Then I asked if they were drinking, yes replide the old man, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it...........

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I had a friend tell me that gets a buddy to reload for his rifle. They're hot loads and he's running around 4200 feet per second from his .30-06. I told him to be sure and not tell that to anyone else.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    my son and i were at the range and one hunter said to another hunter, while holding a round in the air; "is this the bullets for this gun?". "I don't know, does it fit?" said hunter two. <he try's it, bolt goes forward> Hunter one say; "yep". My 12 year old says; "we should go...".

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    It is scary sometimes what you here in Cabelas and Academy when the fudds ask the experts gun and ammo questions. But then again in a salesmans defense i do not think i could keep a straight face.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I had a friend tell me that gets a buddy to reload for his rifle. They're hot loads and he's running around 4200 feet per second from his .30-06. I told him to be sure and not tell that to anyone else.

Pooooo-yiiiiiiii. You know because the harder it "kicks" the more manly the rifle. :rolleyes:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I was told the two things you will never be able to do in Louisiana is legalize the crossbow and get them to stop drinking and hunting. The crossbow was easy, however I decided not to persue the drinking issue as this is the best way to cancel out slob hunters from the human race they just kill themselves off...all part of natural selection.

Now for the ultimate dumb statement....A man asked me how his son got killed in a duck blind. So I asked how it happened ...well one was sitting down to shoot the other standing, of course the one standing got shot.....Then I asked if they were drinking, yes replide the old man, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it...........

That really did happen some years ago. Didn't know if you were joking are not, but a father did kill his young son duck hunting that way.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I try to stay away from public shooting ranges from around now til January. I've been swept with the muzzle of an "unloaded" hunting rifle one too many times. After one guy pointed his rifle at me three times, and me asking him not to do it again after the first time, I pointed my unloaded pistol at him. Would you believe that he got upset? It didn't happen again.
    the weekend warriors, with all their infinite wisdom, scare the snot out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom