Easy access pistol safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Need opinions and suggestions for a quick access pistol box. Don't need anything that is designed to stop a determined thief, just curios children and such. Something that can hold a missile pistol, not key lock, not combo lock. You know, something that can be easily opened in the dark by the wife, but not by a kid.
    Don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want something that will not open reliably when needed.
    Who has what and do you like it?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What is a missile pistol?

A small safe, like this biometric safe, would work. There are mechanical models as well.

opplanet-gunvault-bio-minivault-biometric-pistol-safe-gvb1000-main.jpg

If you do some research, there are tons of safes out there built exactly for what you need.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    What is a missile pistol?

A small safe, like this biometric safe, would work. There are mechanical models as well.

opplanet-gunvault-bio-minivault-biometric-pistol-safe-gvb1000-main.jpg

If you do some research, there are tons of safes out there built exactly for what you need.

I have this same safe and it works great. I bought it for the same reason you describe what your looking for.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Just make sure the one you get doesn't beep when you open it. The first one I got did and there was no way to silence it. Made it pretty useless to me.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Was supposed to say mid size pistol, autocorrect strikes again.
    I thought I had one picked out until I read a lot of reviews about it failing to open when needed.
    I have no experience with the biometric ones at all. Will go thru some of the ones posted and see what I think.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Biometric is slow!! A bad scan can really ruin your day when you need I open immediately.

Go for the gunvault with the 4 buttons (no biometric). Pops open fast, the grooves help you place your fingers in the dark, and even if you put the code in wrong, you can put the next one in faster than you can do a second scan on a biometric.

I have the stack on biometric and the gun vault one with 4 buttons. I would not recommend biometric to anyone if they want it for a fast access safe.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Biometric is slow!! A bad scan can really ruin your day when you need I open immediately.

Go for the gunvault with the 4 buttons (no biometric). Pops open fast, the grooves help you place your fingers in the dark, and even if you put the code in wrong, you can put the next one in faster than you can do a second scan on a biometric.

I have the stack on biometric and the gun vault one with 4 buttons. I would not recommend biometric to anyone if they want it for a fast access safe.

The GunVault is the one I have. It is not bio-metric. It is quiet and can be opened really fast.
    You can pick one up at Academy Sports for about $140.00.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I use the Gunvault MV500 MicroVault. It stays in my nightsand drawer and holds a Glock 17 and extra mag with room to spare. Keeping it in the drawer keeps it out of sight, out of mind for my 4 year old, adding an extra layer of protection. At night I simply open the drawer and have full access to it. It's super fast/easy to open even in the dark and the audible alert can be muted. Highly recommend it.

mv500-image-1.png

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Food for thought: If you aren't trusting of the locking mechanism working when you really need it to, just put the pistol somewhere the kids cannot reach or find or have access to, such as at the top of a closet. You could also put something on top of it so it is not easily seen. If you absolutely need a box, maybe consider one like SpeedRacer posted that normally works with a button press, but has a key on it incase the batteries or dead or whatever. Just make sure you keep the key somewhere easy for you to find :)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Food for thought: If you aren't trusting of the locking mechanism working when you really need it to, just put the pistol somewhere the kids cannot reach or find or have access to, such as at the top of a closet. You could also put something on top of it so it is not easily seen. If you absolutely need a box, maybe consider one like SpeedRacer posted that normally works with a button press, but has a key on it incase the batteries or dead or whatever. Just make sure you keep the key somewhere easy for you to find :)

The whole point is denying child access while still maintaining quick deployment. If I hear a bump in the night I certainly don't want to go digging in the closet for my gun.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The whole point is denying child access while still maintaining quick deployment. If I hear a bump in the night I certainly don't want to go digging in the closet for my gun.
    I could not agree any more. When I say put it in your closet under something, I don't mean to imply that it needs to be dug for. Ease of access is extremely important.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    SpeedRacer, do they make 1 like that that will fit 2 pistols in it? I have my EDC that goes on the night stand when I get home, and an M&P that sits in the top drawer. My little boy just started walking so its time to start being more alert of where I leave my firearms.

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary

I got one of these for the same reason, my young son. Caught him playing with the buttons "cause he liked the beeping noise". Even though I don't think he would have hit the combo, it still shook me up a bit. It's now outside in my shop. These safes work good but I would suggest getting the one like speed said so it can be concealed from curious kids.

I opted for the viking fingerprint safe. It has an optical scanner. Only had it since Christmas but so far so good.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you make it down to BR, there's a Liberty safe store in the Bluebonnet/Perkins area that you can stop in and give some of the pistol safes a try. That way you can see what is faster/slower to get into or get a feel for the size a little better.

Top Bottom