Education in EBR Parish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    With a three year old starting pre-K next school year, my wife and I are looking into our options for schooling. We were a bit pro-active and built a house in Central (we're both from Central), so that the worst we can do is Central public schools. We considered moving into BR (or using a BR address) to get the kids on the magnet track and into BRHS, but we felt like it was too much of a risk and the consequence for them not being gifted/magnet material was too dire.

Since we don't qualify for free or reduced lunches, pre-K in the Central public school district is $4500/yr (+$1500 for after-care). This cost puts it pretty much in-line with the pre-school tuitions at private schools in BR. That got the wheels spinning on a "trial-run" at Runnel's, Dunham, Episcopal, etc... We have the means, albeit narrowly, to continue private school past pre-K if we REALLY like it.

So, I guess my question is, people with children who've been in school for some time, educators, administrators and anyone else with input:

If you have the means, are the private schools in BR going to do much better for your kids than the Central schools?

Do you consider it to be more dependent on the student?

Are there any private schools that may not measure up to Central schools?

What about if tuition were free (family on staff, etc...)...any private schools you'd avoid no matter what?

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I know someone who recently moved to Central and he's not having to pay tuition anymore (which from what I can tell he's incredibly happy about).

Otherwise I'm sans children and didn't grow up here so I can't help ya with that.

I did go to Dunham for a few months during Katrina. It was ok. I keep hearing good things about it, Runnels and the LSU lab school.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Double edged sword. Public schools usually have programs that private schools cannot afford to offer. Yet ebr public schools are horrible.
    The best solution is to move to Livingston, ascension, central, Zachary or st francisville and get your kids in the good public schools. The savings over paying private tuition will more than make up for the expensive housing and central and denham are still fairly cheap.
    West feleciana is (I believe) the only 100% free pre k program in the state regardless of income. Schools are highly ranked and property tax is very low. Downside is the 30 minute drive to anything and high housing cost.
    Most others that have public pre k are income based, the more you make the more you pay and have a limited number of slots to get your kid in and let's face it, if you are an average middle income non minority, and are lucky enough to get your kid in, you will pay dearly even for public pre k.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Double edged sword. Public schools usually have programs that private schools cannot afford to offer. Yet ebr public schools are horrible.
    The best solution is to move to Livingston, ascension, central, Zachary or st francisville and get your kids in the good public schools. The savings over paying private tuition will more than make up for the expensive housing and central and denham are still fairly cheap.
    West feleciana is (I believe) the only 100% free pre k program in the state regardless of income. Schools are highly ranked and property tax is very low. Downside is the 30 minute drive to anything and high housing cost.
    Most others that have public pre k are income based, the more you make the more you pay and have a limited number of slots to get your kid in and let's face it, if you are an average middle income non minority, and are lucky enough to get your kid in, you will pay dearly even for public pre k.

IMO, no doubt, if you could get exactly what you want, no risk involved, I think the magnet/gifted schools are the best Baton Rouge has to offer. We'd have ours on the magnet/gifted track in EBR if it were a safe bet to get there. The best option for me is probably to use the grandparents BR address, see if the kids test into and succeed in those programs and, if not, switch them to Central.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I was spending right at $10k/year on private school. I moved to Ascension and I swear the public school blows away what is available at the private schools. The technology and programs are fantastic. The teachers are top notch. One of the best decisions I've made.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I was spending right at $10k/year on private school. I moved to Ascension and I swear the public school blows away what is available at the private schools. The technology and programs are fantastic. The teachers are top notch. One of the best decisions I've made.

Glad to hear that. There's a lot of money in AP, relative to the population. The more I hear from people I ask these questions to, the more I realize that the private schools around here aren't great and certainly aren't a guarantee that your child will be a genius.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Glad to hear that. There's a lot of money in AP, relative to the population. The more I hear from people I ask these questions to, the more I realize that the private schools around here aren't great and certainly aren't a guarantee that your child will be a genius.

I don't know Central schools but if comparing private school vs. most ebr schools I'd pay the $10k.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I don't know Central schools but if comparing private school vs. most ebr schools I'd pay the $10k.

According to the grades that came out most recently, I think Central was on-par with Ascension. Not as good as Zachary but better than LP.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    My two daughters graduated from Live Oak in late 1990's -- good school then, I've heard good comments about it and other Livingston Parish schools since. Grandson graduated from Dutchtown a couple of years ago, also seems to be a good school and program.

As for the comment in an earlier post that "The best option for me is probably to use the grandparents BR address" -- I understand parents' desire to do the best for their kids, but isn't that fraud? Certainly a good lesson to be teaching the kids... And I understand that school districts have programs intended to identify and remove kids who aren't legally enrolled.

Last edited:

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Your kids, with your encouragement, can achieve any level they want at any school they go to.
    I would focus less on test scores and more on the safety of the school, as well as the peer
    Group they will be around. I have 6 kids, 1 in public school, 1 in private, and 4 are homeschooled.
    We had 4 kids at Dunham, and I would discourage that place. Bullying and greed drive Dunham,
    all nicely wrapped in the cloak of "Christian school".

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    If you want a great private school look at cypress heights academy. It has very small class sizes and a great eviroment. I went there for middle school and wish my parents had put me there from the beginning.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    We (my wife & I) were fortunate enough to afford Catholic Schools (K - 12th) for all 3 of our children. It was the best investment we have ever made. We felt like we had one chance to give them the best education possible. You don't get a second chance.

The schools did there part and as parents we did ours. I see so many parents today relying on and expecting the schools to teach their children everything they need. It's what takes place at home that truly educates a child. You can not leave it up to any school to raise your child. It's all part of being a parent.

Just my 2 cents

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I taught and coached in EBR and Livingston schools for some time. I also have friends who teach and coach at Central, Zachary and a number of EBR private schools. I can really help if you want but its too lengthy (and possibly personal) for this. PM me your number and I'll give you a call if you want.

Most of what I've seen so far here is really conjecture, although not totally inaccurate in some cases. However, in schools things can change rapidly. What people think are "good" schools often times aren't - they're test scores or SPS is just higher (which can be manipulated). Also, you've got some schools that don't score particularly high that are excellent for a lot of reasons.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I taught and coached in EBR and Livingston schools for some time. I also have friends who teach and coach at Central, Zachary and a number of EBR private schools. I can really help if you want but its too lengthy (and possibly personal) for this. PM me your number and I'll give you a call if you want.

Most of what I've seen so far here is really conjecture, although not totally inaccurate in some cases. However, in schools things can change rapidly. What people think are "good" schools often times aren't - they're test scores or SPS is just higher (which can be manipulated). Also, you've got some schools that don't score particularly high that are excellent for a lot of reasons.

I agree 100%. What you see and hear is not always accurate. I wouldn't always rely that schools with high test scores are 'good' schools.

Top Bottom