Elk / Mule Deer Hunt - Last Week

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well it has been 14 years since my last hunting trip out west and it is LONGGGG overdue. My dad would take me when I was in HS and I would just do as much work before hand and catch up the rest when I would get back. Well there was no way I could miss 8 days of college so I had to quit going. Then the draw system got changed and the old group just quit going. Ever since my last trip I have been wishing I would set up a trip every year but it was always something with work or no one wanted to go yada yada. Well I got an invite this spring and I have been looking forward to it ever since. I was told that the bulls in the area are not much to crow about but that they have killed some nice mule deer bucks. I saw pictures of two friends that were harvested last year and they were indeed nice racks.

I was lucky enough to draw a buck tag and I can buy a bull tag over the counter. I had some expectations for the buck but did not have very high hopes of any real chance to shoot a decent bull. Well I was told yesterday that the first group went up last week. They killed a 6x7 (the largest bull ever taken since they have been going), they missed a 7x7, and supposedly saw one that was more impressive than the one they missed. So to say the least I am getting really pumped about the possibility droping a nice bull. I have killed a mule deer (a small spike) but have never pulled the trigger on an elk. Hopefully that will change in about a week and a half. If I can get a 6x6 or better I will be stoked.

We are leaving Wednesday for an area near Rifle Colorado and the season opens next Saturday. The only two things that suck are the 26 hour drive, and me missing the LSU vs bama game. But o well I have DVR.

Stay tuned for post hunt pics.

Last edited:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Looking forward to the pics/story. My sister-in-law is constantly sending me pics of what I would consider big mule deer in her yard in Craig. Of course after they got me all excited for a trip up there, I get told that it's draw only for them...

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Here's a pic to get you excited. Hope it works. My nephew with part of a rack that's going to a museum. No, he didn't kill it, just taking care of the transfer.
    vz29v80ayvhfn2s6ohm.jpg

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Ed I took a temporary job in the office for 3 months so Wednesday afternoons have been out of the question for a bit. That and y'all need to back the dirt up about another 450 yards atleast LOL. I usually go to Blakes so I can practice as far as I want to shoot.

Hardware is going to be my dad's old Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag with a new F1 NightForce and my custom .308Win with the suppressor because it is legal to hunt with them in Colorado. So if I kill my bull first then I am just going to hunt with my .308 just because I want to.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Looking forward to the pics/story. My sister-in-law is constantly sending me pics of what I would consider big mule deer in her yard in Craig. Of course after they got me all excited for a trip up there, I get told that it's draw only for them...

We hunted a 50K acre family ranch between Meeker and Craig. Small world. My father is 73 and still loads his mules up every year and hunts there.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Man, I can't tell you how jealous I am. I have been researching outfitters and guides to try and make a hunt in the 2012 season. Let me know if you're looking for a hunting partner to go with next year as well. I am currently in Marietta, Ga visiting family and I still enjoy listening to my 93yr old Grandfather telling hunting stories from the Taylor Ranch up there years ago. He has a big 7x7 mounted in his house that he took in the early 70's.

Good luck and be careful!

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Went to the Meeker/Rifle area last year. Did not draw a buck tag but drew a cow tag. Filled my cow tag on the day I did not bring the .308 with the can. Would have been cool but I was still happy. Did not see a bull close enough to shoot. Man there are some HUGE bucks in that area. I usually hunt in the Pagosa Springs area. But the bucks were never has huge as the ones in the Meeker area. Was sick looking at all the bucks and no tag. Good Luck, post pics, and don't forget your warm shoes.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't wait to hear about the trip. We put in for an Elk hunt this year in New Mexico but didn't get drawn. I'm back in school again for a career change so an Elk hunt is on hold for a couple years but as soon as I get out I'll be planning a trip again.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Went verify my rifle's zero today. Then backed off to 500 to compare against my ballistics program and I'm glad I did. It was 0.4 Mils off. Then went to Pack and Paddle in Lafayette and left my first born on what better be some GOOD light weight under clothes. Lows are going to be in the teens over the weekend. Just have to pack my clothes tomorrow morning and pack the trailer tomorrow afternoon. Getting pumped, with the cold weather they should be coming to the lower elevations.

PS I'm driving the dog crazy with the Cow bleat I picked up at Academy.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well it has been 14 years since my last hunting trip out west and it is LONGGGG overdue. My dad would take me when I was in HS and I would just do as much work before hand and catch up the rest when I would get back. Well there was no way I could miss 8 days of college so I had to quit going. Then the draw system got changed and the old group just quit going. Ever since my last trip I have been wishing I would set up a trip every year but it was always something with work or no one wanted to go yada yada. Well I got an invite this spring and I have been looking forward to it ever since. I was told that the bulls in the area are not much to crow about but that they have killed some nice mule deer bucks. I saw pictures of two friends that were harvested last year and they were indeed nice racks.

I was lucky enough to draw a buck tag and I can buy a bull tag over the counter. I had some expectations for the buck but did not have very high hopes of any real chance to shoot a decent bull. Well I was told yesterday that the first group went up last week. They killed a 6x7 (the largest bull ever taken since they have been going), they missed a 7x7, and supposedly saw one that was more impressive than the one they missed. So to say the least I am getting really pumped about the possibility droping a nice bull. I have killed a mule deer (a small spike) but have never pulled the trigger on an elk. Hopefully that will change in about a week and a half. If I can get a 6x6 or better I will be stoked.

We are leaving Wednesday for an area near Rifle Colorado and the season opens next Saturday. The only two things that suck are the 26 hour drive, and me missing the LSU vs bama game. But o well I have DVR.

Stay tuned for post hunt pics.

That is AWESOME! Have fun and good hunting!!:cool:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Good Deal. If you are riding a horse dress very warm, if you are huffing it on foot dress lighter and carry the heavy clothes. I walked almost a mile and thought I was going to burst into flames, even at 12 degrees. Damn I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Wish I was going back this year but got to give the checkbook a rest. Well not too much of a rest. We are going to a ranch in Texas in two weeks. Good Luck and don't forget those pics.

P.S. The cow call works (hoochie mama I think), called in a spike bull just playing around with it and the damn thing walked up on me to about 30yds.

Last edited:

Aggieddad02

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hunted a number of years with my Dad, brother and a group of about 8 other guys all from New Iberia about 12 years back. Some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen were in the Rockies. Long to go back and maybe someday I will. Be careful and have a safe trip.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    We had 11 hunters and we ended up with 9 Mule Deer Bucks and 4 Elk (3 Cows well really 2 and 1 Bull really 2). We stayed a few days longer than we planned because it was a bit slower than usual. I took a few pics of the best one we got. I personally shot a Buck, not very big and a what I though was a Cow but upon skining the animal we noticed it was a juvenille bull without horns. The tags are for Antlered and Antlerless animals. Antlerless is defined as no horns or horns shorter than 5 inches so we were still legal. I didnt get any pics of my "Cow" as it was cold, late, ready to skin it and get inside where it was warm and I really didn't see much point. It was rather small for an Elk but still several hundered pounds.

Here are a few pics.

Road to Camp
    2cpsrk0.jpg

View from Camp
    314s3g4.jpg

My buck
    wjfjnp.jpg

Best Deer anyone shot (and it was the guy who hunted the hardest so I was very happy for him, he deserved it)
    atnvn.jpg

Stick #1
    2n1vtzr.jpg

Stick #2
    ina5c5.jpg

Cow 1248 yards away under 25x Magnification
    1zdugiq.jpg

Scenery
    357prp1.jpg

jhub9y.jpg

Doe at bottom of cliff
    t52ixf.jpg