Energy Drinks(MONSTER) and Atrial fibrillation (HELP)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I drink about 6 cups of Sumatra or Community Dark each day, smoke a pack of cigarettes and occasionally do energy drinks, but they really don't do much for me. No serious health problems here except I'm a fat lazy bastard. If I cut out the coffee, the rash comes back.............

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, regularly.
    What about sugary drinks? I don't think it is caffeine or the guarana...but I'm not a doctor so don't take my thoughts or research more than it is. It is likely that when you drank the energy drink late at night you didn't have much other food in your system (being 4-6 hours past 'normal' dinner time) and the caffeine and the sugar combined got to you. It would work kind of like taking four shorts of a strong alcohol on an empty stomach would work on you...just faster as caffeine and sugar can get into your blood super duper fast. The effects would be much more noticeable than normal is the point I am trying to get at. My advise would be to try out the vitamins if you want to, but after you have put some food in you. I personally think that the GNC 'packeted' vitamins are just overkill, but many people swear by them.

Also, vitamins are meant to be good for you, whereas energy drinks are known for being super terrible for ya. I never drink them and I recommend all of my friends to stay away from them as well.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've heard mixed things about stimulants and cardiac issues - think the last consensus I arrived at was theyre pretty low risk unless you have a predisposing condition. Were you drinking alcohol with it? Alcohol consumption is a risk factor for afib. Also, the hospital hooked you up to the ekg and diagnosed afib, or youre assuming that's what it was? Young people can sometimes get have episodes of psvt that present with palpitations, and aren't necessarily something to worry about.

I'd just play it safe and listen to your dr though, not like you have to get your guarana fix

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Hitman have you had basic blood work? Are you on meds?

I was diagnosed borderline anemic. She said a basic mild iron supplement. Increase dark greens. So I take Centrum vitamin at night.

That has helped so much. After I added the B vitamins Splenda in my morning coffee, it gives that solid morning push.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have never been a very large individual, (Past 2 years 5'10 around 200lbs), but for the past month or so I have been completely giving up caffeine and begun to work in the yard some and have lost 22lbs so far. I had a large icee a couple hours ago (used to drink one a day) and for a while i could feel my heart beating faster. I now have a migraine and actually feel quite shaky. Back to water for me. I'll never even consider an energy drink again.

Been there done that... I didnt drink icee as much but I drank alot of soft drinks until I quit 6 months ago, about 3 months ago i had a large mountain dew icee....... Bad idea, pretty much the same symptoms..... I tell you what after a few months of no soft drinks you will feel alot better.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I thought I was a caffeine addict. Recently discovered that it was actually a sugar addiction.

So I chaged my diet from soft drinks in the morning to fruit.

Whenever I feel like I'm running on empty, instead of a dr pepper, I eat a grapefruit or an orange. Same pick me up, but I feel better.

No idea if this fits your topic....but it's a change anyone can do.

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was a caffeine addict. If I didn't have an obscene amount of caffeine per day I got terrible debilitating headaches.

Then I got a kidney stone.

I haven't had caffeine in years. I only occasionally get headaches now and haven't had to pass any rocks through my ureter since then.

Those energy drinks exacerbate your heart issue. Your a-fib may never have show up without the aid of these concoctions.

I'd avoid them and other stimulants.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Unfortunately the older you get the slower your metabolism gets and therefore you sometimes feel you need a pick-me-up, especially in the afternoons. I found that when I get up early and work out then my day goes much smoother and I don't get tired in the early afternoon. I'm 42 and have more energy now than I did in my 30s and I don't need caffine to get me over the hump. Heck I just laid 2 pallets of sod in my yard yesterday and I feel great today. Maybe more exercise is what you need.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Unfortunately the older you get the slower your metabolism gets and therefore you sometimes feel you need a pick-me-up, especially in the afternoons. I found that when I get up early and work out then my day goes much smoother and I don't get tired in the early afternoon. I'm 42 and have more energy now than I did in my 30s and I don't need caffine to get me over the hump. Heck I just laid 2 pallets of sod in my yard yesterday and I feel great today. Maybe more exercise is what you need.

I'm learning this as well.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    A coworker consumed multiple energy drinks daily. The consequence was his nadds grew to the size of a softball. The first question from the urologist was " How many energy drinks do you consume?"

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What about sugary drinks? I don't think it is caffeine or the guarana...but I'm not a doctor so don't take my thoughts or research more than it is. It is likely that when you drank the energy drink late at night you didn't have much other food in your system (being 4-6 hours past 'normal' dinner time) and the caffeine and the sugar combined got to you. It would work kind of like taking four shorts of a strong alcohol on an empty stomach would work on you...just faster as caffeine and sugar can get into your blood super duper fast. The effects would be much more noticeable than normal is the point I am trying to get at. My advise would be to try out the vitamins if you want to, but after you have put some food in you. I personally think that the GNC 'packeted' vitamins are just overkill, but many people swear by them.

Also, vitamins are meant to be good for you, whereas energy drinks are known for being super terrible for ya. I never drink them and I recommend all of my friends to stay away from them as well.

Looking back at my charts, I think this may have been part of the problem. I remember this being at the tail end of a 45-60 day cut down in my diet where I was trying to eat exclusive from the Tier 1/2 Section of Miche's Ladder. Wasn't too hard. So I'm sure slamming these 3 HUGE cans of Monster/Sugar didn't help. Even if it was only once a week. In fact, I'd have to go into more detail to even explain why I was drinking them in the first place. Long story sort of.

Hitman have you had basic blood work? Are you on meds?

Annually. I'm good to go.

Ive been feeling better than i have in years. Just had one of those random cravings and gave in to it.

Interesting what happens when you start putting High Octane Fuel/Food in the body
    and not watered down cheap junk.

Cops are in the worse situation when it comes to fitness though. You guys REALLY have to work harder than the average person.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Went to grab a Monster Rehab at the gas station this morning. They have a new (to me, at least) flavor - pink lemonade. It's not bad.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The weird heart rhythms are the power of mighty Thor coursing through your arteries delivering POWER and VIRILITY to your extremities. POWER. VIRILITY. POWER! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWRRRRRRRR

ok maybe I shouldn't couple the rehabs with the coffee but it's GET **** DONE TIME, SON< YEA!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom