engine hardware

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I am replacing a cover on a motorcycle engine and a few of the bolts are broken. Anyone know somewhere in BR area that may have some hardware that I can use to replace them? Something higher grade than your garden variety hardware store stuff.

Thanks

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    There are various grades of fasteners that of higher strength than "standard" bolts. Grade 5 with three lines on the head and Grade 8 with six lines on the head come to mind. In a similar situation with my son's motorcycle I went to Lowe's to their hardware section and picked up stainless bolts to match the size/thread that I was replacing. You should have no problem finding what you want at Lowe's, Home Depot, or most hardware stores. There's a good explanation of these types of fasteners, their strength, and markings on the heads of the bolts, at http://www.americanfastener.com/astm-sae-and-iso-grade-markings-for-steel-fasteners/

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I agree with just getting some grade 8 at the local hardware store, and it'll be more than strong enough. I prefer Ace or True Value type places for the ease of getting in and out quickly.

If they are really odd bolts, Fastenal has stores located everywhere (search show 5 in BR alone). You might end up ordering it but it's worth a shot. Southern Fastener and Tool is another local place.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Engine covers don't require anything that strong. Plus, grade 8 isn't always the right thing, due to certain applications needing stretch or certain properties.

As far as an engine cover, with not stresses other than holding it on, get whatever will look good. Stainless cap screws are nice.

Fastenal is a very good source, as priced well. Also, Baton Rouge bolt and screw has a wide variety of stuff to select from.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    You should also be aware of the material the bolt is threaded into. Anytime you use a steel fastner and thread it into aluminum you should use an anti sieze, copper or siver based.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Guys, i dont think the op is worried about the strenth of the fastener as much as the looks of the fastener.

Sorry, i cant offer any advise but maybe i can steer folks away from ugly.

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Yeah, I wasn't particularly worried about the parts being stressed. It is just a cover. It just seems that what we have here at Stine in Walker isn't quite what I was looking for since I wanted to keep it oem "looking" at least. I haven't been to Home Depot in a long time so I guess I'll check it out.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Biggest selection of fastners of all types I have ever found, my go to place for specialty fastners. If you can't find what you want there it probably isn't avaiable anywhere other than online.

http://www.stinehome.com/

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Well interesting thing is that the cover is magnesium. Does that require any special handling?

Every other engine part I've ever worked with was steel, aluminum, etc.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Haha, nevermind. A guy just told me about mrcycles.com - might be the best parts site ever. I'll just get the oe stuff from them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom