Engine rebuild in BR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    You can buy a set of Edelbrock aluminium heads for close to if not cheaper than what you can have a stock set of heads made lead free safe for.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    This is a Ford Big Block FE engine we are talking about here...have to disagree with the above statement on this engine...She is not a popular engine any more just like my beloved Clevelands..oddballs don't sell cheap in the aftermarket world.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    I have built a few dozen FE's from 352's to 428's with a few cross bolted 427's thrown in for grins and giggles.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-600619/overview/make/ford

While quite a bit more expensive than they were just a few years ago they are still a bargain. I have the entire Edelbrock RPM setup on a 390 in a 72 F-100. When I bought my heads they were under $1300.00 a pair $1880.00 for the pair shipped is still a good price. To make an old lead gas head safe for todays gas you need to have hardened exhaust seats installed along with all new stainless valves and have new guides installed if all of this is not done then the head is not leadfree gas safe and you still have bs cast iron stock heads. The Edelbrock heads solve all these problems plus by being aluminium they dissipate heat better allowing you to run up to a full point higher on the compression ratio without detonation.

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    HDO NOT OVER BUILD YOUR ENGINE ! This is the biggest mistake everyone makes.
    I disagree on that. There's a lot of us that dont know the end in mind. So if you ever think you will take the vehicle further, build the engine better so that wont hold you back. It's best to do it now than later in most cases.

As for $30k to build a shortblock to handle a 150 shot. hahahha. My short block was about $3500 without core to handle 900hp to the crank.

With every shop/tuner, you will find many good and bad reviews. Do your research and good luck. If you dont like them, go to another next time.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Remember guys we are talking about a sled of a car here...Don't get the impression he is wanting to do a resto mod or anything like that or putting it on the track. There is such a thing as over kill on a car that is just going to cruise nights or cruisin the coast. A5Mag you got some serious stuff there, especially the 427 stuff!! Glad some folks still like fooling with the FE engines...not too many do these days.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    If you steer away from show scene, youll see lots of us with forced induction. For me, there's nothing like rowing gears and hearing the blower whine :)

As for over kill for cruisin the coast or car shows. I dont feel it's always over kill. Whether is tons of chrome or tons of power and all they do is show it off, that's their choice. As long as they enjoy their hobby and arent a cocky douche bag. It's all in fun.

Last edited:

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    Didn't say I owned them all. But grew up in a garage and have built many engines. The Ford Edsel engine is an easy engine to make go fast and has won more different types and classes of racing than any other engine. And when built right are as close as bullet proof as you can get.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Amen on the douche bag part!!! Myself I'm one of those dudes that likes a correctly restored car with some mods but mostly stock..but thats just me. I like looking at how they (the manufacturer) did stuff back in the respective years. While I respect the money that goes into these cars I get a kick out people who have them and just don't drive them at all. Again, thats just me. If I had a real '66 427 Cobra, I would HAVE to take it out for some fun.:)

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Put a blower on one of my S-10's when it had 300 miles on it. Hurt lots of feelings with that truck.
    i love sleepers like that. Nothing better than surprising someone! On that note, there's not many fast trucks around where i live. Same goes for street cars too though.

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Uh - OH !

10411740_776167812414809_5582669108547639671_n.jpg

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good work, I will pick it up tomorrow!

Actually I am laid up with a bad ankle- not sure what is wrong with it, probably gout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    This brings back some fond memories. Those FE blocks can make some real horse power. My first car was a 64 Galaxy 500 2 dr hard top. Original engine was a 352 which I played with some but it was always a slug. I saved a few coins and acquired a 390 GT engine. I put a 428 top end on that block, some headers, and enough hydraulic cam to bring it all together. With the old FMX auto trans it would chirp the tires on the 3rd gear shift. There were more than a few embarrassed 396 Chevelles and 383 Roadrunners left in it's wake. Ah, the good old days.

Top Bottom